AKG K702 Impressions.
Nov 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #106 of 636
In the very beginning, I was very disappointed with my K702's bass. As soon as I got Russ Andrew's cable, I find the sound is balanced. With run-in, I found the bass is deaper and deaper. So if anyone want the bass from K702, I think the cable is a good option.
basshead.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #107 of 636
Hi

So i ordered my 702 today from UK Amazon for US $479 including delivery $125 to Estonia.
Can't wait when will they arrive to share my impressions.
beyersmile.png

They cost on my local down shop $574

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #108 of 636

Quote:

A lot of people really like the Little Dot III/701 combo. most everyone I have spoken to about it thinks its the budget way to go. I've heard the 701s a few times, and I definitely prefer them from a tube amp.

Yah, the littledot gave them just enough bass for me to like, although I am not sure that even this is powerful enough to fully exploit these phones (hey my system is only as good as the weakest link.) Also depends on the tube selection, the ge's that came with it were okay but nothing special, I replaced the power tubes with nos russians and the front 2 tubes are nos 1952 Cbs-Hytron JHY-6AK5 (my favorite tube ever so far...)  Definitely the amp I would go for on a "budget."

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #109 of 636

Quote:
Quote:
The AKG Nazis will be here shortly to harp on how terrible your hearing is and the total lack of bass they have even though you have confirmed you have satisfactorily accepted their presentation. It's just their way of participating so take them with a deer block of salt and enjoy the wit.

Lol, a "Deer block of Salt" Lol. Funny. I bet most people don't even know what a salt lick/deer block is.  

00small78420217.JPG

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #111 of 636
So my AKG  K702 's arrived and i'm in love.
The sound is just incredible.
They don't need headphone amp, my headphone out from Logitech Z-2300 speakers is loud (vol button in the middle).
WOW PC int sound card can sound soo good.
I need stronger output than Philips Muse 3 mW (atleast 2x).

Sound is very detailed from low volume to high volume.
I can picture how the sound creating object moves in space, for example guitar strings.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #112 of 636
Congrats on the new headphone.  A headphone amp is for much more than just volume though.  The K702 needs a lot of power, especially more than 3mw (my amp drives them well at about 400mw).  The extra power will add bass, soundstage, and more clarity.  If you have money in the future, check out the Fiio E7 or E9 combo.  Only 200 bucks for a quality DAC and powerful little amp.  Might be worth it...

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #113 of 636

Quote:
Congrats on the new headphone.  A headphone amp is for much more than just volume though.  The K702 needs a lot of power, especially more than 3mw (my amp drives them well at about 400mw).  The extra power will add bass, soundstage, and more clarity.  If you have money in the future, check out the Fiio E7 or E9 combo.  Only 200 bucks for a quality DAC and powerful little amp.  Might be worth it...

Thanks

Yeah for portable player yes i need the amp.
But the 3 mW is weird, there must be more data to characterise headphone out power,
because user a_tumiwa wrote 29 mW  Cowon J3 has only 5% bigger output than 2,7 mW Philips Muse.

I'm impressed how detailed bass they have after listening some Infected Mushroom / massive attack / Pendulum

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #114 of 636
Hi

Can you characterize your portable players,
how they sound straight out from player with 702, without any amp's dac's.

It would be good if you can compare multiple players you own.

Thank you
beyersmile.png

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #115 of 636
I got the AKG K702 and Nuforce Icon HDP together for my first foray into hi-res digital audio. Combined the cost was about $750 US and I'm pretty sure there isn't a better deal out there especially if you also need a DAC. I've put about 100 hours on the set up so far and I like it a lot. I listen mainly to classical and jazz and have no complaints about bass being too light on the AKGs. To me it sounds natural and realistically full. I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD 560 Ovations that I'm comparing the AKG's to and to my ear the Senns sound a bit flabby and bloated in the bottom end (could be because they're  20 years old too). Whats really remarkable about this set up is the detail. I really hear the difference between lossless and lossy rips and hi-res 24 bit stuff sounds noticeably better again. By the same measure crappy recordings sound even more clearly crappy.

One concern you'll see again and again is having enough amp power to properly drive the AKGs. I have pretty sensitive hearing and still I've got the volume pot on the Nuforce at about 12 o'clock to almost 2 depending on the content. This seems high to me and I wonder about headroom and clipping. That said, I haven't heard any distortion out of the Nuforce at these levels.

My only complaint about the AKG's is the vice like grip they had on my head new out of the box. I had to spend some time basically stretching them open till they loosened up. By comparison the Senns were very comfortable from day one and now feel like a well broken in pair of house slippers. Unfortunately, they kind of look like it too.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #116 of 636
I got the Burson audio HA-160D and all I can say is that the 702s are starting to sound amazing! I also got them recabled by ALO Audio.  I spent alot of money, but the sound keeps on improving with every day that goes by.  I cant wait until these reach the 300-400 hour mark!  I'm sure they'll be broken in by then.  Right now I probably have 100 hours on the 702s.  50-60 hours on the Burson.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #117 of 636
i haven't read through this entire thread, so maybe someone has already posted this, but nonetheless it's interesting to see how these headphones are made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LbsQRaQD6A

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #118 of 636

Quote:
i haven't read through this entire thread, so maybe someone has already posted this, but nonetheless it's interesting to see how these headphones are made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LbsQRaQD6A

nope, never saw this, it's awesome!  It's weird to be listening to a youtube about how the AKGs 702s are made through the AKG 702s, haha. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #119 of 636
I just got my 702's today from a fellow Head-Fi member. They are my first adventure into the full size headphone world. So far, I'm enjoying them.  I now have to work toward properly powering them.  I plan on using my onkyo receiver for a little while, as I like the DACs in it. I think I will add the Schiit Asgard once I save up a bit for it.  So far it's hard to get a good idea of their true sound sig, but I like what I'm getting out of them so far. The low end is there but with little impact with most recordings. But thats with only a few hours on my ears, and I also had read that before I purchased them so I was aware of it and I'm ok with it for now.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #120 of 636

Quote:
I just got my 702's today from a fellow Head-Fi member. They are my first adventure into the full size headphone world. So far, I'm enjoying them.  I now have to work toward properly powering them.  I plan on using my onkyo receiver for a little while, as I like the DACs in it. I think I will add the Schiit Asgard once I save up a bit for it.  So far it's hard to get a good idea of their true sound sig, but I like what I'm getting out of them so far. The low end is there but with little impact with most recordings. But thats with only a few hours on my ears, and I also had read that before I purchased them so I was aware of it and I'm ok with it for now.

I've been listening to my K702 today for a few hours with my Onkyo and it's not too bad at all. Since you have a K702 and not a Sennheiser headphone, I'd seriously suggest the E9 over the Asgard specifically for the K702. It just has better synergy with the K702 compared to the Asgard. I love my K702 with my E9, but not the Asgard so much. The Asgard is a good amp, but seems to do better for Sennheiser or other headphones. I own both the E9 and Asgard right now. I got my E9 for just $117 on Amazon. I also heard the Matrix M-Stage is a good match for the K702, but I haven't tried it. If you want to get a Schiit amp, the Valhalla is probably a better match for the K702.

BTW the E9 can drive the K702 with EASE. I wasn't expecting that. I only have to put my volume at 25%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back