AKG K702 Impressions.
Jul 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #61 of 636
Crazyeyes, if you going the ebay second hand route you could wait till you see a modded V3. My modded V2 is just about as good as the V8P, in all areas. With the V8P you are paying extra for the preamp function and DAC. I prefer my Grados with the modded V2 and the K702s with the V8P.

However, both V8P and K702s are still at the start of running in. I am finding that running in is not even. Two days ago it sounded great. Yesterday it sounded rubbish and today is a bit better, but not as good as two days ago.

EDIT - regarding the bass, I have not heard the kick drum as clear and easy to differentiate from the rest of the drums as with these cans. I really like the detail they dig out. I am posting this and listening to the Ramones, who would normally sound 'wall of sound', but there is real detail and space now.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #62 of 636
Yeah the K702's are great headphones and I really like them so I am looking for an amp that will mate with them well and it seems the X-CanV8P does that and the price isn't so bad.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #63 of 636
I tried out some low end Grado's recently, and I really like how the sound appears to originate somewhere close to you, but I don't like how the lower notes are blurry. I demo'd them listening to a symphony, and I noticed there was a "bass cloud." The cellos and string bass produced a persistent ring that isn't characteristic of those instruments. Could someone comment on up-front quality of the K702? Are you put in first row? middle, or cheap seats?

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #65 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried out some low end Grado's recently, and I really like how the sound appears to originate somewhere close to you, but I don't like how the lower notes are blurry. I demo'd them listening to a symphony, and I noticed there was a "bass cloud." The cellos and string bass produced a persistent ring that isn't characteristic of those instruments. Could someone comment on up-front quality of the K702? Are you put in first row? middle, or cheap seats?

10th row. Wide soundstage with less impact. Needs big amp to bring them to life. Bass on these are not impactful or distinguished unless you want to put some money in the rig. They have well defined and extended bass to about 35 hz before loosing definition. These keep instruments seperate and in position during complex material.

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #66 of 636
I know it's not symphony music, but I was listening to some Red Hot Chili Peppers and a lot of their music is centered around the bass. The bass was clearly discernible from the rest of the instruments and was detailed as well. I don't have a crazy amp at the moment either. I am using my Apogee Duet.

I would also have to agree you are about the 10th row or so.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #67 of 636
If bass is the focus, you will hear it but normal listening of music where the bass isn't the focus will not dominate the sound as I've heard on other hps.

That Duet has a good reputation so you don't loose anything.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #68 of 636
Very true.... The K702 will show what's going on in the recording mix, as well as upstream components. In my particular setup, I could FEEL the bass impact from the K702s, especially while listening to Christian McBride on the Mccoy Tyner CD. The K702s are not going to produce thumping bass from bass anemic recordings.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #69 of 636
I appreciate all the specific comments in regards to listening to specific albums. That kind of feedback is really constructive in trying to determine peoples' opinions about a pair of headphones. Keep it coming!

I'll be waiting to get out of work today and pop in some Norah Jones. Just a few more hours.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #70 of 636
It's a holiday mix but Trans Siberian Orchestra has some nice challenges that the 701s shine with. "Christmas Eve and other Stories" cd and the song "Christmas Eve" in particular will get your blood pumping or your amp ain't drivin em right.

Another is Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" or "Cool Blue" has some very nice standup Bass that is sweet.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #71 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a holiday mix but Trans Siberian Orchestra has some nice challenges that the 701s shine with. "Christmas Eve and other Stories" cd and the song "Christmas Eve" in particular will get your blood pumping or your amp ain't drivin em right.

Another is Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" or "Cool Blue" has some very nice standup Bass that is sweet.

Christmas in July! I have 'The Lost Christmas Eve' and I've been known to occasionally pop it in out of season..

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #72 of 636
I like "The Lost Christmas Eve" CD by them. The song 'Wizards of Winter' has a bunch of impact and speed and shows he K701 is capable of great bass.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #73 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like "The Lost Christmas Eve" CD by them. The song 'Wizards of Winter' has a bunch of impact and speed and shows he K701 is capable of great bass.

Argh.. 25 minutes and then I can leave to go have a listen.. I'm thinking today is gonna have some Norah Jones and TSO.. what a mix!
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #74 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh.. 25 minutes and then I can leave to go have a listen.. I'm thinking today is gonna have some Norah Jones and TSO.. what a mix!
biggrin.gif

I have two Norah Jones albums coming in the mail. I have them already but they are a low quality rip my buddy gave me. I have TSO The Lost Christmas Eve playing right now and it sounds amazing. These are some great recommendations. I think we should start a thread in the music section on what sounds good with your K701/K702s cause these are some really good suggestions and really helping me explore new genres and different types of muisc.

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #75 of 636
Go to HDTracks.com and download their 96/24 Ultimate compilation. That single compilation will make your jaw drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back