AKG K702 Impressions.
Jan 2, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #406 of 636
@jaco61
Each and everytime I've measured frequency response on any of my headphones (and I've measured them all many times) they measure the same.
Are you sure you measured them out of the box and some few hours later? When I bought a new pair of Beoplay H6 for my wife, it sounded more aggressive than mine which was already few months old. But, this wasn't true all headphones I came across. My 702's had very little or no change in sound from the beginning. But, my older AKG K551 was a different headphone after 5 hours of playing something in my wardrobe. I played the same song again, and I was not a believer of burn in then. So all I wanted was another proof that it doesnt exist, unfortunately I heard a difference, which I am sure was not from inside my head.

Jan 2, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #407 of 636
Are you sure you measured them out of the box and some few hours later? When I bought a new pair of Beoplay H6 for my wife, it sounded more aggressive than mine which was already few months old. But, this wasn't true all headphones I came across. My 702's had very little or no change in sound from the beginning. But, my older AKG K551 was a different headphone after 5 hours of playing something in my wardrobe. I played the same song again, and I was not a believer of burn in then. So all I wanted was another proof that it doesnt exist, unfortunately I heard a difference, which I am sure was not from inside my head.

Yes, I usually measure my headphones directly from the box to verify channel matching. Then later multiple times for various reasons.
Check these measurements made by Tyll Hertsens from Innerfidelity for the Q701 which is very close to the K702.
He has a high quality (and quite expensive) lab for measuring purposes.

0 Hours and 330 Hours frequency response overlapped for Left (top) and Right (bottom) channels.
Channels are spaced vertically to make them easier to read.
111229_blog_burnin_RawFRBeforeAfter.jpg

As you can see there's no frequency response variation from 0 Hours to 330 Hours.

Pad wear and headband wear along with clamp can make a difference on certain headphones. Seal is very important with closed back headphones and IEMs. Put them on without getting perfect seal, then place them properly and you'll get different sound. Placement can be of importance as well on various models including open back designs like the K702, more so if the drivers or the earpads are angled: move them and the sound will change a bit.

This is K702 measured by Tyll Hertsens at 5 different positions overlapped.
Check the corresponding grey lines. I've added some arrows. Look how different positions produce a different response.
K702.png

This can play a role as well when it comes to perceiving a headphone as sounding different than before. It might be sounding different than before but not for 'burn in' reasons. According to most studies I've read, if there's some 'burn in' (logically nothing stays exactly the same eternally), its effects are very very subtle, not necessarily for good and come with thousand hours of use. Last but not least, do not overstate the human memory as it's not a tool for analysis. Our hearing can play us various tricks as well. My advice is to double check everything you seem to hear when possible. Try the same a different day when possible. Give it to someone else to try too. If it still looks real then start trying to find out where does it come from.

People normally want an easy "pick from the shelf" solution for everything.

I think it sounded different ---------> Burn in ---------> Solved

The real thing might be very different, result of multiple variables. Solving it in a proper way can be much more challenging, that's granted.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #408 of 636
@jaco61
Each and everytime I've measured frequency response on any of my headphones (and I've measured them all many times) they measure the same.
.. haha, yes its mysterious

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #409 of 636
Oh well, I still think these headphones are built terribly... How on earth has this happened???

The + wire has snapped off the blob of solder. How badly have these things been put together?
DSCN9600.JPG
I wondered why there was no sound out of the right side. I tested with another mini xlr cable and there was no change. Looked into how to remove the cover and found this. It makes no sense at all. These only have use in one room and I'm sat at my desk the whole time. I've already had to replace these headphones once down to them creaking so badly. I've had this pair for under 13 months. I think AKG's warranty is 2 years but as I got them from amazon, I may try contacting them first. I'm almost disappointed enough to give up with these and look for something else even if I get a replacement. I do know how to solder so I could fix them myself but that would affect the warranty.

These sound really good, but I think the build quality seriously lets these down. I don't know what I'd get instead.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #410 of 636
Wow, what service from amazon! I have managed to call the customer service as on AKG's warranty card, it says to contact the retailer you bought them from. I have had this replacement pair since about May last year and the original order was February the same year. So still covered by the 2 years warranty. Amazon checked what they could do and they offered me a full refund once they have scanned in the return. They didn't even request that I need to get the same item again. At leased that does give me an option to get something else. But what sounds this good that is built extremely well too without spending a ridiculous about of money? I think I'll have to do some research.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #411 of 636
@TheGiantHogweed Which way do you twist to get the outside covers off? (Mine seem to be stuck pretty firmly.) The worst of the creaking in mine seems to be coming from inside that area and I'd like to see if I can do something to improve that.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #412 of 636
@TheGiantHogweed Which way do you twist to get the outside covers off? (Mine seem to be stuck pretty firmly.) The worst of the creaking in mine seems to be coming from inside that area and I'd like to see if I can do something to improve that.
Use some fine needle nose pliers and turn it anti-clockwise a tiny bit. Then turn them upside down and it should fall off if you shake them. With the pliers, try to get them in the fine holes right at the edge of the grill. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do now though. I could get them again for the same price or something else instead.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #413 of 636

You need to press onto the cover and twist counter-clockwise.
Best way I've found is to take four wooden toothpicks, Insert two of them to one edge and two to other edge of the cover - Use both hands - Now press and twist.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #414 of 636
Use some fine needle nose pliers and turn it anti-clockwise a tiny bit. Then turn them upside down and it should fall off if you shake them. With the pliers, try to get them in the fine holes right at the edge of the grill. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do now though. I could get them again for the same price or something else instead.

NO! please, don't use needles, pliers or anything made of metal.

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #417 of 636
Why are you commenting in this way? What is the problem if you are careful? There was a helpful youtube video which suggested this way and it worked first try for me.
The grill is fragile and the chance of destroying it is too big. Not every video shows right way. You can end up like this:

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #419 of 636
Hey guys I have had my K702's since friday they have been on constant burn in since then. They had less than 100 hours on them when I got them. I have put 100 hours since then.

They sound very good. I am really enjoying them. I am running them directly out of my Apogee Duet. I find them to be very detailed and neutral sounding.

The soundstage perception has gotten much better than when i first got them. I have found myself enjoying Andrea Bocelli, Norah Jones, and a lot of the vocal music that i have much more than i did when i had the HD650's. Don't get me wrong though these things do rock music very well too. I know many say the bass is lacking in them. They are lacking impact but the bass is there, and i find it to be plenty for most of the music i listen to. You are given a very accurate presentation of the recording you are listening to, if you give them a crappy recording they give you a crappy sound, give them a good recording and you get a good sound. You are listening to the music not the headphones which i really enjoy.

That is just my opinion as of now, I am sure these will change even more for the better as they continue to burn in. But they are making me enjoy a lot more of my music collection now.
Agree

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #420 of 636
+ 1 and they are still tuneable to personal preferences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back