AKG K702 Impressions.
Apr 21, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #377 of 636
If I need to hear some time more punch from bass I get on +1 x-bass on the ifi ican micro... but thats now just 5 % of all the time listening.. it gives a feeling of of a real good subwoofer running elsewere in the room :wink: .. most of time I dont miss anything at all .. pure pleasure

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #378 of 636
The 702s work best with recordings that are very bassy to begin with. I much prefer the 712s for most my listening but can be too overpowering with bass heavy songs, thats when i use the 702s. The new jamiroquai album being a perfect example.
I think K702s work best with just about anything except bright recordings.

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #379 of 636
I`ve been removing foam discs from K702 for some type of music regularly. (I have newest chinese K702 with more bass.) The difference in sound is huge without it:

- Bass and deepest bass is weaker
- Sound is more detailed
- More mids and heights (Heights can be exaggerated for music with high hat, etc.)
- Soundstage opened and is closer

I`ve ordered this set of foam discs for experimenting with sound and I'm really curious about them:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fine-Tune...b1808fc&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=172517496337

Has anybody experimenting with circles under the earpads? What is your experience?
See above ..
Curious about your experience with the different foampads.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #380 of 636
See above ..
Curious about your experience with the different foampads.
Three types of Foam Disks arrived and diferences in sound are there.
In general, its pretty simple:
- The denser material, the less of treble pass through.
- The thicker material, the more of bass is there.

The differences are not so great, but they are audible when you are listening to them.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #381 of 636
...thought so after my experiments with the pads.. I came to a optimum level for me now with a pure donut out of "wettex special" it consists of several layers of 100% cotton pressed together, ca.1,2 mm thick, The main issue regarding sound is the diameter of the hole in center. If I cut it out only 2,4 mm original diameter, the whole signature of the phones gets resonable darker, too dark and restrained for me. After cutting the center hole up to ca. 3,5 cm there was this effect gone. All details back again and it gives some more healthy bass fundament (totally sufficient for my taste!) and very pleasing crystal clear but relaxed highs now. I cannot imagine at the moment what else can be "better" now,,,, ...it seems pretty perfect - really fantastic headphones .. what a pleasure!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #383 of 636
Txs for the link! I will study a bit. The airyness encreases again after making the middle hole bigger than on the stock foam, but it does not reach the level of the stock if lets say very close. But thats a real issue to take care when starting damping a little bit. I could not imagine at the beginning how much influence this has. A mesurement could be interesting.... I am very content with the result anyway.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #384 of 636
Does anyone else have issues with these headphones creaking? Most times I tilt my head slightly, you get this creak and popping sound. I still think the frame of these headphones is really cheaply made. My AT ATH-AD700s creaked a lot of the time but at leased they were quiet. I'm wondering if these are more noticeable because they clamp quite hard against your head. Anyway, I don't hear this if I have my music loud enough!:o2smile: But With my AD700s, I was just used to wearing them the whole time even when not listening to anything as I couldn't tell I had them on.

May 10, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #385 of 636
...no issues with creaking at all.

May 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #386 of 636
If I take one of the black tubes that go around over the head between my fingertips and move it gently from side to side, it makes slight clicking noise. The other tube does not. Is this is normal or should I be worried? They are barely used new headphones. Anyway, the build quality feels quite flimsy at least when compared to my ATH-M50x, which have already survived several drops and hits without any issues. K702 feel like they could break into pieces with a slight knock.

May 10, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #387 of 636
If I take one of the black tubes that go around over the head between my fingertips and move it gently from side to side, it makes slight clicking noise. The other tube does not. Is this is normal or should I be worried? They are barely used new headphones. Anyway, the build quality feels quite flimsy at least when compared to my ATH-M50x, which have already survived several drops and hits without any issues. K702 feel like they could break into pieces with a slight knock.

I tested and I have the same thing as you. So they will probably all be like this. These headphones may sound excellent but the build quality is dreadful IMO.

May 10, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #388 of 636
If you want truly dreadful build quality, grab some Beats or a Shure SRH550. K702 and its brothers don't come close at all.

May 11, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #389 of 636
Only time will tell how well they'll hold up. I will definitely try to be more careful with them than with my M50x. I even bought a headphone stand (JackCubeDesign Mk660a) for them so I wont accidentally knock them too hard against the table when laying them down. :D

May 11, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #390 of 636
If you want truly dreadful build quality, grab some Beats or a Shure SRH550. K702 and its brothers don't come close at all.

Yea, I know there will be much worse but I think I've just been let down by how much better my £87 AT ATH-AD700s were. They may have been mostly plastic, but it felt really tough rock solid plastic. And at leased the grills over the driver on the outside were nice metal. I'm just wondering why the cheaper AKG K550s are so much better built...

I've used them for years now as portable headphones, folding them flat and keeping them in a bag. They are so tough. The K702s creak so much sounding like they may snap some of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back