AKG K702 Headband Painful?
Sep 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 33
I had some serious doubts about whether I would be able to use the K701, when I had a pair, because of the awful headband. The center bump is a disaster. The elastic bands pulling that bumb down felt like it was going to bore a hole in my head.
To fix this problem I used four zip-ties to secure the headband in one position permanently. This made a world of difference, and with the 702 having an odd number of bumps, so there is not one right in the middle I'm sure it's a lot easier on the skull.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 33
I'm quite a hair person (fairly long hair) and i have had fairly sizable comfort issues.

I think i have a somewhat largeish head however. I also found my DT770/80's quite uncomfortable when i first got them which i believe they've been hailed for comfort. I found the cups quite clampy and the headband too tight on the top of my head (even after major adjustment). After a while the pain went away and etc.. :p

After the DT770s the K701's seem a lot better. Perhap's my head's hardened
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #20 of 33
Trim your hair stlye to fit the bump on the headband.
biggrin.gif

I had felt uncomfortable with the headband of my K701s for about one month, but now, I can't feel any pain with it. Maybe my head shape was changed by it?
k701smile.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trim your hair stlye to fit the bump on the headband.
biggrin.gif

I had felt uncomfortable with the headband of my K701s for about one month, but now, I can't feel any pain with it. Maybe my head shape was changed by it?
k701smile.gif

That's rather spooky.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #22 of 33
I can't speak for the K702, but I found the K701 rather uncomfortable for long-term listening. It sort of crept up on me. I'd be listening, and then I'd take them off for whatever reason and I'd be like "Gee, that sure feels a hell of a lot better!" They're not outright unpleasant to wear, but they sure don't set any standards as far as comfort goes.

Of course, the K702 may be completely different. I wouldn't know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k701smile.gif

I suppose that's... one possibility.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #24 of 33
Nope. Noticeable, yes. I have a headphone on so I expect some sensations. Not nearly as bad as Grado's rough pads and clamping force.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #26 of 33
Has anyone followed up with AKG to see if the headband can be replaced?

I have a pair of K702s and after more than about 15 minutes they're so painful that I honestly can't use them. By comparison, I also have a pair of AKG K271 mk2s that I can wear for hours on end with no discomfort at all.

May 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #27 of 33

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A great headphone messed up with the most stupid headband of all time.

Why not use the K601 design "AKG".

Amen, brother.

Amen, amen, and Hallelujah.  THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE thing I've ever had on my head.  Who designs this SH_T?

May 14, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #28 of 33
That spot on top of the headband on the 701 hurts after a short while.  After a few days, it makes your head sore and "that spot" even more sensitive.

Answer:  Memory Foam under the headband.

May 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #29 of 33
The top band bump doesnt hurt my head at all, even after a hair cut.

May 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #30 of 33
Let me just say that there is a good reason why Sennheiser HD650 and HD800 both leave a gap in the dead center of the headband pad...

And by silently switching to the 8 bump design, AKG's indirectly has admitted as well that their 7 bump design didn't make any sense at all. Though I cut the bumps off my K701 headband off and it drastically lowered the resale value of it when I eventually sold it, I don't regret doing it one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back