AKG K702 bass problem.
Jun 18, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #151 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadakan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just don't get this. Seriously, I've never heard anyone complaining about the bass on SR225 (especially not in this insanely overzealous way people complain about K701) , but when I switched from them to K701 I noticed better and more plentiful bass from them that I enjoy very much.

Is anyone able to explain this to me? Is here anyone who's compared SR225 and K701?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also get bags of tight, deep bass from my K701 out of my Headroom Ultra Micro @high gain. But yes, the K701 never adds bass or makes anything sound overly bassy. When the orchestral timpani goes off, it does have some balls!
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I get great, deep, clean and controlled bass from my pair. But I understand that other ears hear differently. If only they were less egocentric!

As to SR 225 and K 701: I haven't compared them directly, but from memory I would say the SR 225 has more mid-bass (actually a slightly resonant hump – a feature many rock listeners appreciate) and less low bass than the K 701.

graphCompare.php

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #152 of 169
I think when a lot of people say that the K701 lacks bass, they mean the K701 lacks midbass. From my very brief audition of the K701, I certainly didn't think they lack any deep bass.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #153 of 169
Quote:

I just don't get this. Seriously, I've never heard anyone complaining about the bass on SR225 (especially not in this insanely overzealous way people complain about K701) , but when I switched from them to K701 I noticed better and more plentiful bass from them that I enjoy very much.

Is anyone able to explain this to me? Is here anyone who's compared SR225 and K701?

I wondered the same thing. My MS-1s have less bass than the K701 but most people don't define them as lacking bass. It's probably the mid bass hump on the MS-1 that makes people overlook the low end.

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #154 of 169
I just got my K702's today, I came from the Sennheiser HD650's. I am running the K702's out of my Apogee Duet as I was the HD650's. The K702's have plenty of bass for me. There isn't as much bass as the HD650's but they go just as deep if not deeper and are more detailed. They sound very good out of my Duet as well.

I feel the K702's do a much better job revealing the recording quality to you. You are listening to the recording not the headphone. Which I personally like. I also feel that is why many feel the K702's lack bass. They may be listening to poorly recorded music, now I am sure that isn't the case with many head-fi'ers but who knows.

Anyway that is my opinion.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #155 of 169
They have bass but no impact like other cans, due to the VERY large soundstage width it is impossible for the driver to do that and maintain strong impact. But they are clear and detailed bass.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #156 of 169
I agree that K702 have larger soundstage and weaker low bass in comparison with a HD650. That was the reason why I disposed the K702 for a HD650. Partially it was due to the source that I used to owned, it was an iPod Classic.

I am satisfy with my new setup and would probably stay for a while before the next upgrade comes by.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #157 of 169
Good, this

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have bass but no impact like other cans, due to the VERY large soundstage width it is impossible for the driver to do that and maintain strong impact. But they are clear and detailed bass.

sounds much less insane to me than this

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all know that AKG K70x was produced without bass or any lower frequencies at all. DUH

What made you do this opinion flip?

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #158 of 169
Quote:

What made you do this opinion flip?

Hadakan, I know that different cultures see sarcasm and irony in different ways, but I think the 'DUH' is an attempt to be sarcastic - thats definitely how it would be viewed in Australia. I read it as 'every simpleton KNOWS that the 701/702 has no bass whatsoever !'. Its a less-than-subtle dig at the usual comments re the 701s lack of bass impact. For me, the jury is still out - I need to hear a pair with my music and the right amp under them.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #159 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have two options:

1) Walk down the path of head-fi: get amp, then dedicated DAC, then inter-connects, then recabling, then balancing... the list goes on. After hundreds, most likely thousands, of dollars, you may enjoy audio bliss.

2) Pick up less fickle headphones that can be driven by your sound card. Denon D2000 perhaps? It's in the same price range. Ignorance is bliss? Ignorance also saves a lot of money.

I still plan to mod the phones and get an amp, but I have to admit, I am mostly satisfied with just plugging into my X-fi card. Isn't it nice having instant gratifcation like this?
dt880smile.png

...Gee I hope I don't end up blowing my phones if I do get an amp with Prodigy or something :O

Regardless, I'm sure I would love a pair of some AKG's someday. I considered the vintage Sextetts for a long while.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #160 of 169
[rant]
I'll sate my opinion once more. I think the K701/K702 have a lot of very deep bass, but not as much impact as say, the SR-225i. I know for sure the K701 has less bass than most headphones, but it far from zero bass. If you guys would only let your ears adjust to lower amounts of bass first before flying off the handle....

I still find comments such as "K701 has zero bass = teh suckness". These comments aggravate me. As we all know the K701's lower bass is plentiful, detailed, and very tight/controlled. If you think they have no bass, you must be a bass head or your ears have trouble detecting lower frequencies (as mine do from time to time).
[/rant]

I also don't find them excessively bright or harsh as many claim. I think the brightness claim comes in from their detail and clarity, plus lower quantity of bass.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #161 of 169
Isnt one of the biggest parts of bass "Impact", is this not why drums are called percussion instruments?

per⋅cus⋅sion [per-kuhsh-uhn] Show IPA
1. the striking of one body against another with some sharpness; impact; blow.
2. Medicine/Medical. the striking or tapping of the surface of a part of the body for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes.
3. the striking of a musical instrument to produce tones.
4. Music. a. the section of an orchestra or band comprising the percussion instruments. b. the percussion instruments themselves.
5. a sharp blow for detonating a percussion cap or the fuze of an artillery shell.
6. the striking of sound on the ear.
7. the act of percussing.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #162 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hadakan, I know that different cultures see sarcasm and irony in different ways, but I think the 'DUH' is an attempt to be sarcastic - thats definitely how it would be viewed in Australia. I read it as 'every simpleton KNOWS that the 701/702 has no bass whatsoever !'. Its a less-than-subtle dig at the usual comments re the 701s lack of bass impact. For me, the jury is still out - I need to hear a pair with my music and the right amp under them.

Yeah, the HUH should have alerted me about the sarcasm, but I missed it. I guess the sarcastic and genuine bashing of K70x became just too similar.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #163 of 169
Yes it was sarcasm.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #164 of 169
oww, this discussion becoming not healthy anymore, we're drifted far away from the sharing informations and experience to DUH, OH, HE, HUH, DING, fight, what else?

please kids, forgive each other, shake hands and back to the topic ...
smily_headphones1.gif

i believe many ppl monitoring this topic trying to extract a good info about 701 or 702, if you don't like it, it's your problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back