AKG k701 with Audio-GD C2
Jul 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rinthe

Head-Fier
I'm going to get the k701 with the audio-gd c2 amp. And I my source will be from a motherboard because I can't afford another DAC. Is this a bad idea?

also whats the best place to buy an audio-gd c2?

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 13
I personally would try to get a DAC if possible. Depending on what your on board soundcard is, I found without the DAC, instrument separation to be poor and the bass muddy. It doesn't mean that you can't enjoy them still, but I think you will notice a difference with a DAC or better soundcard if you don't have a decent one. If you intend to get a better DAC or soundcard in the future, then why not?

re: audio-gd c2, either direct from them or try the for sale forums if you don't mind it being second hand.

My personal opinion of course. I have no experience with the audio-gd amp however.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 13
All that you'd be doing is further amplifying a bad source, so yes, bad idea. If you really can't afford a C2 with a separate DAC, check out the Audio-GD FUN.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 13
Get the C2 if you intend to add a DAC into the chain the future; get the integrated amp/DAC (Fun, etc...) if you don't. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 13
I was using the the Fun with K701 and they sound amazing. Just make sure you get the acss version and an opa moon to go with it. Perfect synergy. I actually sold my K701's a week ago due to comfort but miss the sound so much I just bought another pair today...
k701smile.gif

If you read the fun thread most people go with the opa earth. The moon and the earth are very similar, the biggest difference is the earth has a bit of emphasis on the leading edge of notes while the moon is a little smoother. After everything is burn't in (200-300 hours) it'll be very smooth and neutral and clean and amazing :D

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
All that you'd be doing is further amplifying a bad source, so yes, bad idea. If you really can't afford a C2 with a separate DAC, check out the Audio-GD FUN.

Agreed, that's a bad idea, there is some bargain 2 in 1 devices, the Audio-GD fun or the other one from em said has great synergy with K701 , maybe the HDR? 

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Don't know much about c2.1 but the Matrix m-stage is one magical amp at that price. But get a dac man....

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 13
you can dig around but i think M-stage would get the job done, don't really know about c2.1

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 13
I had the C.2.1 with AKG K702.  It was a good match but I think the Lyr is a better match.  Gives it more power to bring it to life. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
I had the C.2.1 with AKG K702.  It was a good match but I think the Lyr is a better match.  Gives it more power to bring it to life. 

I've heard lots of good things about the Schiit Lyr as well, although never had hands-on with my AKG's and one yet...  might be an option to consider...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back