AKG K701 vs Sennheiser HD650
Feb 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #32 of 53
I own both and voted for the HD-650. It's better balanced overall with a superior low end. I do enjoy the K-701, but the HD-650 rocks harder.

Then again, HD-600 > HD-650 and K-501 > K-701. The playoff results are mixed: HD-600 for any amplified music, K-501 for any acoustic music. I could probably get by with just those two... but what fun would that be?

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #33 of 53
I just bought the 701s. major upgrade from my 18 year old Senn HD 560s.
I found the 650s to be muddy, or faint, or murky, or damp - but i was used to that with my 560s. BUT the 701s were bright, airy, punchy and alive. when i'm listening to Radiohead, Hem or Miles Davis, that's the 21st Century sound i want. Ho hum. (now onto a headphone amp - leaning towards Cute beyond...)

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #34 of 53
Jesus...I'm going to be in the market for new headphones in the next year or so, and these 2 (or, in the case of the HD650s, the 600s as well) appear to be the best in their price range. I've got a Darkvoice 336i and an Oppo 980. Currently, I'm using a pair of Grado SR-80s. I really like their more aggressive sound, and it seems that the AKG K701 are similar. Is this true? Would someone who prefers the "Grado Sound" likely enjoy the K701s more than the 650s?

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #35 of 53
If you're going to be using them for gaming, then go with the AKGs. They have a larger soundstage, and better mids. Two things that are very important in gaming.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #36 of 53
My impression from owning the 701's is that the detail in the upper ranges is surprising to people not used to such detail. I feel that they are unforgiving of poor sources for this reason as well as requiring more grunt in your amp. That being said, my Corda Move powers them fine off a battery, though not to extreme volume levels. There's a 1000-hour view of them on the forums that describes them well IMHO.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jesus...I'm going to be in the market for new headphones in the next year or so, and these 2 (or, in the case of the HD650s, the 600s as well) appear to be the best in their price range. I've got a Darkvoice 336i and an Oppo 980. Currently, I'm using a pair of Grado SR-80s. I really like their more aggressive sound, and it seems that the AKG K701 are similar. Is this true? Would someone who prefers the "Grado Sound" likely enjoy the K701s more than the 650s?

I like the Grado sound and greatly prefer the K701 to the HD650. With the EVS-modded Oppo 970HD and Bada PH-12, the SR-325i and RAL/K701 make nice companions. Having formerly owned the Darkvoice 336i, I can attest to a very good synergy between it and the RAL/K701, too; better, IMHO, than the 336i+RAL/650 combinantion (as good as that was in its own right).

The unassailed clarity of the K701 has won me over. Although the highs and mids were admittedly nice from the HD650, they seemed obscured--at least partially--by what I consider an over-emphasis of bass. Between the HD600 and the HD650, I strongly preferred the HD600.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it all comes down to preference, i liked HD650 because of their smooth and relaxing sound

Agreed on both counts. It really is a matter of taste. HD650 improve quite a bit with replacement cables, so that's the way I'd go. Obviously the poll results should tell you there is no clear cut answer to this one.

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #40 of 53
Someone mentioned to me at a recent meet that the HD650 really opens up in balanced mode, lifting the "Sennheiser veil" as he called it. Never did get to try that, though. :/

Having tried both the K701 and the HD650 again at said meet, I once again immediately preferred the HD650. They're just more pleasant to listen to.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #41 of 53
I have been using my 650's with an Equinox single ended cable and Gilmore Lite w/DPS.
I've enjoyed this setup for a while now but have recently purchased the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop w/Home DAC with an Equinox Balanced Cable, it arrived last Friday and I can't believe the change in sound.

There is much more attack in the sound without sounding harsh, everything has a much bigger presence and clarity, the bass has much more punch to it aswell.

I would love to try out the K701's balanced but worry that the treble would be too harsh, the 650's are definitely warm sounding can's but going balanced has definitley pulled out those hidden highs, so could this be a bit of a treble overkill for the K701's?

I have to say if you want more energy from your 650's give the HR Balanced Desktop a thought or another balanced amp.

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by j0shimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using my 650's with an Equinox single ended cable and Gilmore Lite w/DPS.
I've enjoyed this setup for a while now but have recently purchased the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop w/Home DAC with an Equinox Balanced Cable, it arrived last Friday and I can't believe the change in sound.

There is much more attack in the sound without sounding harsh, everything has a much bigger presence and clarity, the bass has much more punch to it aswell.

I would love to try out the K701's balanced but worry that the treble would be too harsh, the 650's are definitely warm sounding can's but going balanced has definitley pulled out those hidden highs, so could this be a bit of a treble overkill for the K701's?

I have to say if you want more energy from your 650's give the HR Balanced Desktop a thought or another balanced amp.

Just curious, what are you using for a source on your balanced amp?

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #43 of 53
Update: balanced 650 vs balanced 701

701 sounds so much like speakers when balanced. It's the most sterile can i have ever heard. It works really good for vocals and orchestra. The soundstage and depth is the best i ever heard so far and natural sounding unlike ultrasones (NO 3d, environment effects, dolby HP, or EQ). I rolled in AD8610's which boosts the 701's bass without sacrificing much of the clarity and resolution. This also gives a fuller sound signature, which actually reminded me of the Pico's sound signature (AD8397 is probably very similar). I think it was a good compromise. I find the 701 to be uncomfortable for some reason. It clamps gently and has large donuts to distribute the pressure yet it manages to make my head sore after an hour. Nothing compared to ultrasone though.

On the other hand, im now running a SAA Equinox balanced cable on my 650 now. The 650 is just unbeatable in almost every category, except soundstage. Just look at how the drivers are positioned. No angling/offset (like ultrasone s logic), special angle cushions (like the 701) or anything. That's exactly what it sounds like. The stage is wide dont get me wrong, but wide as in distance perpendicular from your ears. Absolutely no forwardness, but it captures the recording environment. I should experiment with pad modifications to see if i can get it to sound more forward.

The 650 and the LME49710 opamps are the way to go. The overbearing bass is tightly controlled and actually everything is pretty neutral. The 600's are actually most neutral and tonally correct, but they dont sound as smooth as the 650.

I like them both for different reasons. I want to keep both. The 650 still wins for being the all rounder though.

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #44 of 53
Voted for the HD650. Another day I might vote for the K701. They are neck and neck in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back