AKG K701 Retermination/Recabling
Jul 25, 2011 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

philcheon

New Head-Fier
While I plan to acquire K701's, there is one reason for concern that makes me second guess myself occasionally.

I have AKG K240 MkII's and one of the best features IMO is the fact that the cables are "modular," that is, the headphones have a port where I can remove the cable. The K701's lack this feature. While not within the next few months, I wanted to see if it's possible to modify the K701's (or any headphone for that matter) where it is possible, to have an outlet modified into the headphones (either directly where the cord exists the housing or having them terminate a few inches after the cord exists the housing).

I know it's a splotchy explanation, but I'm just asking around and can try to clarify. I hear about people recabling/reterminating their headphones, so I was wondering if it's possible to mod headphones in the way I described.

Thanks, everyone.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 11
You want a detachable cable?

In terms of sound quality, adding more connections and cheaper cables coupled with (chance of) bad soldering job. That would tear at the clarity and SQ of your K701

Recables don't benefit in SQ either, but you seem that you don't want to worry about that.

Please explain a little better of what you'd like to do. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Well, that hits the nail on the head. I'm surprised I didn't think of just saying that I was thinking of a detachable cable.

I have basic electronics sense and I do understand that a single cable will have less cable noise and potential problems than a cable with one more connection than necessary. I would probably bet money that the sound quality would take a dip, although I can't say whether or not it will be significant (or however one would define as "significant"). I was thinking, for starters, that I'd terminate near the headphones with a standard 6.3 mm / 0.25 inch jack, although a balanced setup would probably be preferable.

I'm really just testing the waters; I don't really see myself doing this without really good reason.

I also didn't think of using the search feature either, although I've never had much luck using forum search.

If I wanted to do this, how would be a good way to go about it, as an owner of said headphones?

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
You want a detachable cable?

In terms of sound quality, adding more connections and cheaper cables coupled with (chance of) bad soldering job. That would tear at the clarity and SQ of your K701

Recables don't benefit in SQ either, but you seem that you don't want to worry about that.

Please explain a little better of what you'd like to do. 

Are you are thinking that he will:

a.) automatically use cheap, poor quality cables
b.) have bad soldering skills

And that:
c.) detachable cables = worse SQ?

Detachable cables are automatically worse in SQ? That's why all the flagship headphones like the HD800, LCD2, HE6, etc. all have detachable cables, right? Detachable cables are fine. 

Well I don't really understand what you're saying, but what I got from Philcheon is that he wants detachable cables to go with a K701.

Philcheon, my advice is to get a k702 or q701. They are a K701 with detachable cables. Unless you are in love with the looks of the K701 (like I am) and have mad DIY skillz, it's just easier to get a K702 or Q701.   Or maybe you prefer the K701's sound to the K702 and Q701, I don't know. But if you are just looking for a K701 with detachable cables, just get the Q701. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:

Philcheon, my advice is to get a k702 or q701. They are a K701 with detachable cables. Unless you are in love with the looks of the K701 (like I am) and have mad DIY skillz, it's just easier to get a K702 or Q701.

He wants to mod his cans, but it would be best to just get something he would like better

I was saying about the detachable cable idea CAN lead to those problems. The more jumps the current has to make, the more strength it will lose. This is proven and practiced everywhere and even a foot in front of your face without you noticing. 

I was saying that OP would go for a cheaper, less expensive then 99% silver cable and anything lower then high grade gold connects.

True other cans have detachable cables, but then they are HIGH quality and able to sacrifice some SQ for the option. People wouldn't notice the difference.
And, yes replacing those with higher quality cables make them better, but it's expensive and I wanted to dis-spell the belief that any cheap recable can make a can better.

And most people who haven't had the hundreds of hours of practice will find problem when soldering, even me, after working with car electronics, I still screw up a solder every now and then.

I would assemble the 450~ cables for Prius wiring loom and have to connect like 300 plugs and solder each and every point. A lot of butane used I tell ya.

But OP,

Either just deal with it
or 
Buy new headphones

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 11
While I appreciate the various outlooks on my possible recabling jaunt, I will likely go the way of trying to find the K702 and the Q701 for comparison. I'm spoiled by the K240 MkII's, which are considered "professional level," which explains why they and the K702 have detachable cables and the K701 does not. The Q701 is apparently slightly colored since they are designed by one individual for his specific preferences, but all research into this seems rather subjective, so I've been trying to find the Q701's freq response charts. I'm also much more for the white porcelain look of the K701's, although ultimately, I will give up that for a more accurate headphone.

Based upon current reviews, the K701 is likely more than accurate enough for my needs. My wanting detachable cables is really just me trying to chase what are ultimately unnecessary features (at least for me). Since pricing is so close between the models, I'm sure with time, I'll find all models and be able to compare them to each other, although this will be difficult with what I'm hearing about AKG's recommended burn-in times.

While investing into multihundred dollar pure silver recables might improve my sound quality, stock cables of OFC function just as well without getting into extreme specifics that are more noticeable on even more expensive headphones (surely you'd understand that a 20 dollar set of portables won't benefit enough for pure silver to be cost efficient) than I'm willing to buy. Basic electrical and chemical properties aside, I agree that the route of finding headphones with stock detachment feature is a more sensible option.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 11
For the record, I have a K701 with detachable cables -- exactly what you are looking for.  

I too like the look of the K701 over the K702 or any of the Q701 models.
As for the Q701's coloration and frequency response, I don't think Quincy Jones actually was involved in the sound engineering of the Q701 but I could be wrong.

Frequency Response:

And as for recabling and detachables and stuff, I've never audibly heard the difference in quality between something with more stuff in the signal path. For instance, comparing a Klipsch X10 to an X10i -- the X10i has a control talk module which is the same concept as a detachable cable -- it's an additional break in the wiring of the signal path. Absolutely no discernable difference.

As for cheap recables/bad soldering skills, you are assuming to much BotByte. Sure you are dispelling the notion that a cheap recable job will improve sound quality -- but first off Philchen never said he was going to do a cheap recable job, and naturally he should have expertise in soldering, or will find someone who does to do the job.

I would actually disagree with you as well on cheap recables -- recables will change the sound quality, for better or worse though is another question, but I've recabled a lot of my headphones and I notice differences from cable to cable even if I'm using a relatively cheap Klotz cable or an expensive Cardas or Jena cable.The changes are audible on recables, more so than any difference in SQ from having the extra components in the signal path due to having a detachable option. Recabling is a gamble though as there's no guarantee that your cable components will have good synergy with the headphone to create the sound you are looking for. The synergy is the bigger issue, not the price of the cable.

The effect of the extra impedance in the signal path as a result of having XLR or mini plugs or what not in the path is almost negligible.  I also disagree with you on what you said about high quality headphones and detachable cables. More high quality headphones like HD800, LCD2, etc. are more resolving and will make any degradations in the signal path more obvious, not less!   I believe that the reason manufacturers still use detachable cable options in these headphones is because they believe that the breaks in the signal path are so insignificant that they don't noticeably affect SQ in any way -- and this is my experience comparing things like the x10 and x10i. Again, this is more obvious on more resolving cans than on cheaper cans. It's done anyway because it's a non-issue.  

Remember at the very top of the ladder small changes in components are more noticeable because the higher grade of resolving power makes them more obvious. Knowing that, why would the manufacturers knowingly use detachable cables to whittle down the SQ, when you are paying top dollar to get every single ounce of performance possible? If the effect on SQ were so detrimental, all high-end and ultra-high end headphones would be hardwired to get the biggest advantage in SQ possible over the competition.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Yes, exactly.

I have this habit of not completely finishing forum posts and get distracted, then come back to type them. There's a rather obvious break in thought process.

But yes, what I mean to say is that recabling with pure silver on cheap 20 dollar portables doesn't make an appreciable nor a cost effective improvement in quality. I imagine that if someone had a summit-fi set up going to some cheap Skullcandy earbuds will experience even worse audio quality than if the same earbuds were plugged into an mp3 player. I say that because if everything else is right, then one bad part can ruin the whole; basically another weakest link analogy.

If I were to pursue what you have; K701's with detachable cable, I wouldn't go for extremely expensive pure silver cable, because even though the quality might increase and the sound might change (for better or for worse being of my opinion), I am no audio engineer or recording producer. I want good headphones and I have a bit of a thirst for a nice hi-fi setup, but I fail to see what is practical in doing a 700 dollar recable on headphones that are half the price.

I would probably feel differently if I had STAX, T1's, or HD800's and a proper setup to go with them. Since the components are so good to begin with, it would only make sense to improve them even more, seeing as they are already top of the line.

All that aside, I'm curious as to how you went about recabling and I suppose, reterminating your K701's. It seems you're skilled enough/have enough experience that you ended up doing the recable yourself.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 11
FWIW - it's pretty nice to be able to easily swap cables if the cable gets snagged, the cat/dog/parrots chew on it, etc.

Theoretically, I'd willingly admit that there must be a difference between non-detachable and detachable cables. I can also willingly admit that I sincerely doubt that I would be bullet proof in a blind test of which was which headphone, but maybe that's just me? I haven't actually tested this, so I could be plain wrong. In the end, I opted for the K702 for the convenience of changing cables easily - particularly as I know finding the right cable can sometimes take forever, but also as my parrots do enjoy a good bite into expensive electronics cables. 

I also perfectly agree that any small difference should be more easily heard with the highest resolving cans (that all have detachable cables). 

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
<snip>

Remember at the very top of the ladder small changes in components are more noticeable because the higher grade of resolving power makes them more obvious. Knowing that, why would the manufacturers knowingly use detachable cables to whittle down the SQ, when you are paying top dollar to get every single ounce of performance possible? If the effect on SQ were so detrimental, all high-end and ultra-high end headphones would be hardwired to get the biggest advantage in SQ possible over the competition.

I agree with you completely. To this, I'd like to add that manufacturers are all looking at each other and nobody would want to risk the 'Cons' comment of not having an easily exchanged cable for customers who for some reason absolutely want a different one than stock. The small potential bonus this could give in SQ compared with the major negative argument just doesn't make business sense, I believe.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 11
I didn't do the job myself, I'm not quite skilled, have a friend who does really good work doing recables and stuff. I have singled-ended Grado with detachable cable and a PX100-ii with detachable cable as well. really awesome stuff, my headphones share a lot of different cables in between them for convenience and the ability to do minor tweaks to the sound by cable rolling.

Not sure how he did it exactly but the part where the cable used to be is replaced by a 3.5mm female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back