AKG K701 or something else? Help please.
Jun 16, 2010 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

aSunshine

New Head-Fier
 Hello, i know this question showed up a lot of times, but i need your help.
I want to buy K701 from the moment i saw them, but now, when im ready for this im feeling some hesitation, because of the thought i can get something better for this money (450$ in my city). It will be my first expensive cans, so im nervous. Now i own Ultrasone HFI-580 btw, and i like them.
Well, let me tell a little about the music i listen to - it is mostly post-rock with loads of violins, pianos, acoustic guitars and so on(Godspeed You! Black Emperor, From Monument To Masses, The Samuel Jackson Five, sgt., Magyar Posse, Maybeshewill are the most typical, if it'll tell something to someone ), and i also listen to minimalism (like Max Richter, Ludovico Einaudi etc.) and some electronic music like 8-bit, glitch-hop. So, i think i need great highs and great middle, correct me if i'm wrong.
Now about amping — for my new pair of cans i bought a fiio e7, everyone talk so much about. I'll change it for something better when ill get deeper into this audiophile things:)
I'll use Cowon S9 as a source.
So, can you tell me what else i can get for this money? I also thought about Sennheiser HD650, but 1st - i don't like how they look like (yes, i know it's not an argument here, but still), and 2nd - i can't listen to them, because of the shop i use don't have them.

Thank you in advance

PS I don't need great bass.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 30
I know you are enchanted by the looks of the K701's but sadly they are not for you currently.

The first thing you will need is a decent home amp to drive it properly otherwise you will be dissapointed by their performance.

I would recommend reading more on the forums before spending any more.

When you have shortlisted,then ask questions as our answers will make more sense then, as you will be in the loop.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 30
The K701 are excellent headphones that are loved by consumers and professionals alike.  But they do seem to need a lot of burning in.

The HD 600 and HD 650 are similar quality headphones from Sennheiser.

Some people prefer the 701, others the 600 or 650.  So I would say they are all about equal, but don't sound the same.

If you are in the USA some on-line dealers (Head-Fi sponsors) do a 30-day return option, so this may be a good idea of how to find the ones you like best.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 30
I don't know if I would have bought the k702 if I only heard it through the relatively weak emu0404 amp. The bass is horrible through the 0404. But I like it a lot through the LD mkV amp.. Amping can make a huge difference in whether you like them or not, IME

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
I want to buy K701 from the moment i saw them, but now, when im ready for this im feeling some hesitation, because of the thought i can get something better for this money (450$ in my city). It will be my first expensive cans, so im nervous.

All roads eventually lead to K701 :) Didn't buy them the first time, but sure as hell did the second. They're just too nice to not have!
However, $450 is too expensive compared to what many other stores sell them for... Got mine this week for about $250. Can't you order from another store?

And you do need a decent amp if you haven't got one. My D4 can't properly drive these...

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
All roads eventually lead to K701 :) Didn't buy them the first time, but sure as hell did the second. They're just too nice to not have!
However, $450 is too expensive compared to what many other stores sell them for... Got mine this week for about $250. Can't you order from another store?

And you do need a decent amp if you haven't got one. My D4 can't properly drive these...

I can buy it from some internet store, but delievery will be another 70-90 dollars so there's no sense.
And nice amp is the next thing ill buy. Grado RA-1 maybe.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 30
I have a similar post rock music taste to you and love my AKGs for the detail that they drag up. My little FiiO E5 amp drives the K702s without any problem. I also have closed backed AKGs (K44 and K140) which trade a bit more bass drive at the expense of the K702s wide sound stage, which is exception. All give you loads of detail.

You do not mention other considerations such as comfort, do you want pleather or fabric pads, around or on ear? Would the lower noise leak from closed backed cans make them more practical? 

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
You do not mention other considerations such as comfort, do you want pleather or fabric pads, around or on ear? Would the lower noise leak from closed backed cans make them more practical? 

Don't know about comfort, im not too needy, my hfi580 are comfortable enought for me except their noice reduction sucks. I don't think i need closed back, i don't care if anyone will hear my music, because i'll listen to them in the forest or at home. And i heard closed back cans lack sound scene, and for now i want to get everything i can from money i have.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 30
What closed backed cans lack, they also gain in other ways. Swings and round a bouts.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
Then i have an additional question.
Will k701 + fiio e7 make a great difference with ultrasone hfi-580?

The Fiio would make absolutely no effect between having an amp and not having an amp for the AKGs or Ultrasones.

I love my AKG K701s and my Ultrasones though. It would be a great combo if you could amp up the AKGs with a proper amp. If you have a small budget, a cheap usb dac/amp would be fine for now. The Ibasso D10(Mini-Audio is the cheaper Chinese relabel) can be a decent substitute for now. You can use the DAC in the Ibasso when you choose to upgrade to a better amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back