AKG K701 Nightmare (Self-fix? Mod-fix? Repair?)
Jun 20, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Kiwiclx

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings, Head-Fi'ers.

I was going to make this a long-winded post until I came to realize huge blocks of text would probably deal critical damage to some readers, so I'm settling for the facts:

1. AKG K701 left driver ceased to function some months ago
2. Unit was out of warranty
3. Recently attempted to determine cause - was able to regain audio in left driver after operating unit in various orientations (~upside-down)
4. Audio would cease when wiggling the cable at the base of the ear-shell
5. Attempted to remove grill per AKG repair hints instructions to confirm suspicions
6. Successfully screwed up grill without even removing it
7. Went crazy due to 110+°F/43+°C weather, ate two pints of Häagen-Dazs chocolate ice cream and cried self to sleep
8. Once again unable to get audio from left driver

With what little I have been able to come up with, can a definite diagnosis be achieved without getting the grill off and opening it up?

Of course I am also seeking advice on my next course of action. The grill won't budge despite all my efforts (tried pliers, looping wire through many holes to distribute force) but it just keeps getting mangled. I'd take a dremel to it if there were a simple mod I could do to nicely cover it up or a replacement grill I could purchase on the cheap. I have entertained the option of just sending it in for repair but from the threads I've read, AKG repair sounds mighty scary and I would not like to be committed if the K701s were less merciful than anticipated. Unfortunately it appears this left driver issue is "common" (all relative) and perhaps, by some luck, it is such a problem that AKG is realizing and addressing it. ;_;

If you or anyone you know has performed K701 grill mods, recables and/or knows about AKG repair experiences/tips, I would greatly appreciate any input.

HLEP! Thank you. :>

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 18
I just got nothing done over the phone with AKG Acoustics, U.S. I called their number for service information and quotations and got an answering machine for someone on vacation with a suggested number to call. I called it and got in contact with another answering machine for someone out of the office until forever but it had yet another number to contact. The third number yielded no response. I am quite satisfied.
frown.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 18
It's difficult to get in touch with AKG. Maybe some pictures would help.

It is a PITA to get into the k701's but not too bad if you know what you're doing. I've recabled them before and as such have had them apart.

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's difficult to get in touch with AKG. Maybe some pictures would help.

It is a PITA to get into the k701's but not too bad if you know what you're doing. I've recabled them before and as such have had them apart.

You just volunteered. My vote is the OP sends them to you for a re-cable.
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just volunteered. My vote is the OP sends them to you for a re-cable.
tongue.gif

Yeah, but what is the poor guy gonna do about the mangled grill?
frown.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much do those grills cost you guys in the US (or perhaps UK)? Here in Australia they cost (IIRC) upward of $30 each, making destroying them in DIY attempts a very expensive consequence.

heard that electronics in AU are extremely terrible high. mate
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Not a very moral recommendation you have there, eh.

just kidding. they wouldn't be that fool to do the things without prior inspectation.

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

How much do those grills cost you guys in the US (or perhaps UK)? Here in Australia they cost (IIRC) upward of $30 each, making destroying them in DIY attempts a very expensive consequence.

Thirty AUD for a grille plus a recable job is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new pair of K701s...

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 18
I feel your pain. Some of those grills can be a PITA. To diagnose your electronic problem, they will have to come apart. I bought a botched DIY job on the cheap and totally dismantled them, repaired, repainted and recabled them. I'm thinking, send them to someone who can do the job and the mangled grill could be dressed up then repainted for a custom look (obviously, the other side would be repainted as well to match).

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 18
If the grill is too far mangled replacement parts can be purchased direct. The hard part is finding the part number and explaining exactly the part you want isn't alwasy the easiest job.

Anyway, if moving the cable produces sound in the left side when there normally isn't then it's highly probable the problem is a short which just needs to be found and repaired.

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 18
Thanks to all for taking the time to read and reply!

For now I'm going to try and work with AKG Acoustics, U.S. (if I ever get in contact with them) and get them repair the K701 at minimal or no cost, at least for the cable/driver. While I realize not every company is a Six Sigma Black Belt, I'd like to be able to protect my investments and that begins with the manufacturing of a non-defective product. Hopefully they are as cooperative as Shure, who replaced my E4Cs for a pair new-in-box (I was surprised!) when I became aware of a defect.

I will post my milestones in this thread for others who may have a similar problem now or in the future. Regardless, it sounds like a group buy on K701 grills is looking good for some. ;d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back