AKG K701/2 vs. Beyerdynamic DT880
Nov 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

wcarpenter

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones to outfit my first serious system. They will most likely be powered by a Little Dot MkIII and the Little Dot DAC, though I've purchased neither and am open to suggestions there too.

I listen almost exclusively to rock and some occasional electronic. 
Rock: The Shins, Spoon, The Killers, and maybe Muse at the harder end of the spectrum.
Electronic: Crystal Castles, Chromeo, MGMT, Ratatat

I've heard some very mixed thoughts on the AKGs. Some say they're the worst things they've ever heard, while others claim that they are the end all of headphones. I'm not a bass head, but I worry about their overly analytical tendencies. 

Some accuse the Beyerdynamics of being bright, though the bass is supposedly better. 

I'd love some thoughts on these headphones and maybe some others you think would be better.

Sorry about the long read.

Thanks, 
Walker

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 81
I wouldn't care how good the K701 sounds on an amp -- their comfort breaks the deal for me...

DT880 on the other hand, has marvelous comfort. And, they sound really good too -- even better with an amp.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 81
As with me (and everyone else that has comfort problems), is the headband. Those bumps are absolutely atrocious! Annoys the heck out of your head!

I really can't comment too much on the sound though -- as I was using them unamped only (as well as with the DT880). It's just the comfort that killed it.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 81
I spent much of Saturday and Sunday nights with my AKG702s on, and wasn't even a little uncomfortable.

I have a big head, if that makes a difference.

As for how they sound: I don't have BDs, so I can't compare. On their own merits, the AKGs strike me as being very clear, with a proper amp (I have used one proper one, a Little Dot mkIII and, for fun, a Bravo). 

s.

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 81
W -

I don't and I do.

Here's why I say that:

- Listening to, say, the Allman Brothers' Band's 'Eat A Peach' on sacd, I have no trouble following Berry Oakley's bass. As another melody instrument at times, (notably on "Mountain Jam") it's important a listener be able to hear what Oakley is doing in context - to hear him solo against the rest of the band. At the same time, it shouldn't *own* the mix, and it doesn't.

I think it's kinda obvious that it doesn't bring the funk, so if Bootsy's greatest hits is one of your demo discs, this will fail. Gracefully, but fail.

- The mkIII sounds sufficiently powerful to my ear, which is to say the HPs have a nice sense of dynamics when used with the amp. And while I don't have enough time in to be conclusive, it seems like the mkIII is just warm enough to overcome the objections some listeners have to to AKGs, that they're 'sterile' or 'cold' or something.

My limits: I'm new to serious headphone listening. More important, I don't have experience with high end head gear and never will, my interest being entirely in low end audio - so my judgment is in the range from 'reasonable' to 'cheap.'

s.

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 81
I had the 701's and I still have the 880's.  I didn't like the 701's.  To me, they have a treble emphasis (and associated lack of bass) that I could just never enjoy.  Very nice mids, but too much treble with not enough bass.  To me, the 880's are much better balanced bass to mids to treble, even if they are slightly smiley faced vs perfectly neutral & transparent.

Quite a few people blamed my amplification for what I heard with the AKG's. (I only had the Aune at first.)  But the Sparrow (similar power as the Fun) was developed with listening tests with the AKG's, and the Aune actually puts out more power than the Sparrow.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 81
I used to own both. Ended up selling them to pay for the HD-800, but the DT880 is a very good headphone. Extremely comfortable and the sound is pretty good.

On the other hand, I never loved the K-701. There's a weird, artificial sound to the treble that really comes out in vocals. Every time I made an effort to listen, the plasticky vocals forced them off my head. I listened to other pairs, but they all had the same tonal balance problem.

A lot of new members buy the K-701/2 because it is the lowest cost "flagship" headphone from a major manufacturer. You'll find generally positive reviews from those - the K-701/2 is usually far better than anything they've ever listened to. The older members, especially those of us familiar with AKG's older models, have a much more mixed record with it. I don't think it remotely compares to what AKG used to build.

A couple other quibbles: I don't think the K-701 is terribly well-suited to your musical tastes, and I'm not sure you'd want to run them from an OTL amp. AKGs are tough to drive and you'll want a low output impedance from your amp.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 81

I noticed this too and it's hard to spot unless you have something to compare them to. For me it wasn't bad enough to get rid of them and I still do think they're good (but not for $399!).
I compared lots of stringed instruments on the k701 vs the HD-600 and other headphones and none of them sounded as accurate on the k701. They were a bit thin sounding. The same was with some vocals. For anyone that wants to experience this, compare the difference of Eddie Vedder's ukulele on the HD-600 vs the k701. There's a HUGE difference. I honestly can't believe that instrument sounds so bad in real life! Yes, i've heard one! Eddie Vedders vocal were also a lot thinner sounding on the k701.

I wonder what it is exactly that causes all of this? I owned the k701 for nearly 2 (or even 3) years and never really noticed this until I got the Beyer DT-990 and HD-600. I do love all the detail on the k701. k701 and the HD-600 is a good pair to have. Guitars to me just sound really slightly unnatural on the k701 to me.

BTW i've got the DT-880 600 ohm (and k601) on the way and can't wait!

I only buy headphones that have good vocals and Beyer Headphones have always disappointed me in this area sadly. I hope the 600 ohm version changes this! I don't know how this is possible, but I prefer the vocals on the DT-235 over those on the DT-770, 880 and 990 32 ohm versions!
Quote:
I used to own both. Ended up selling them to pay for the HD-800, but the DT880 is a very good headphone. Extremely comfortable and the sound is pretty good.

On the other hand, I never loved the K-701. There's a weird, artificial sound to the treble that really comes out in vocals. Every time I made an effort to listen, the plasticky vocals forced them off my head. I listened to other pairs, but they all had the same tonal balance problem.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 81
If you really want an eye-opener, compare the K-701 to a K-501. That's what really set me against the K-701.

AKG discontinued a less expensive headphone that sounded better. They would have been better off keeping the K-501 and K-1000 in production and skipped the K-701.

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 81
I just received my DT880/600's today, and I'm listening to them through my Little Dot MKIII and Little Dot DAC right now. I can say that it is true that they seem to have a smiley face sort of freq. response. I personally like my mids more forward, so I'm not quite sure if these are for me. I personally like my HD650's more... they feel/sound more "full." I'm not quite sure why, but I just like the HD650 more. I'm going to spend another week or so with these DT880's before I pass any real judgement though.

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 81

Yeah I wanted to get a k-501, but I can never find one used. I think for my preference of music with female vocals, the k601 may be even better.
The K601 is actually about the same price as the K701, maybe a little less.

I heard the K601 has less detail then the K701, but vocals are a bit more forward. I'm not sure if this is true or not. K601 should also be less neutral.

I think I actually prefer my k240 over my old k701! No, I'm  not saying they're better, but maybe are more accurate with some instruments and better for vocals.

An AKG headphone with a lot of bass is really nice to have! Not saying the k701 doesn't have a lot of bass, but not enough for me even with an amp.

k240 sure has made me like AKG a heck of a lot more. Hopefully I can find an upgrade of the k240 and the K601 might be it!

Maybe soon I'll do a K601 and DT-880 600 ohm comparison. It might be interesting.

Quote:
If you really want an eye-opener, compare the K-701 to a K-501. That's what really set me against the K-701.

AKG discontinued a less expensive headphone that sounded better. They would have been better off keeping the K-501 and K-1000 in production and skipped the K-701.

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 81
Thanks guys!

It seems that the AKGs might not be the headphones for me. For no logical reason, I really want to want the K701/2, but it makes no sense to buy the headphones because they look so cool.

The Beyers might be the best bet. It sounds like they have a nice balance between warmth/excitement and neutrality. 

Either way, whatever I get will be a marked improvement over the Bose QC2 I stole from my father after the death of my Triports. I never payed much attention to headphones, as I had a great stereo (Mac/B&W) to listen to. But as I'm now at boarding school and listening to speakers at any enjoyable volume is out of the question, headphones are a must. 

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it. 

Walker

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 81

Quote:
AKG discontinued a less expensive headphone that sounded better.

Why do you think AKG would do that? Seems like a fairly moronic thing to do. 

Quote:
Maybe soon I'll do a K601 and DT-880 600 ohm comparison. It might be interesting.

I'm sure it will be! I'm very much looking forward to it.

Quote:
I'm listening to them through my Little Dot MKIII and Little Dot DAC.

Are you enjoying this combo? It seems like a great value to me, though I want to make sure I buy something really excellent. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back