AKG K550 v Denon D2000 on price....
Dec 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

audiopunk

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

This is my first post so I'm a total noob but getting my head around things.... I have a few questions that I hope some of you may be able to help me out with....

I have been reading a lot of threads and reviews for cans in my price range and what I am looking for. Basically, closed can under $500. I am pretty much set on either the AKG K550 or the Denon D2000. I know there are a lot of threads around comparing the two, the D2K has more bass and the K550 has better isolation etc etc...

My question is this, the K550 are going for around $300 (I'm in Australia) and the D2K for $499 - to me, and I know I am new to all of this, but that seems a big difference for cans that are rated so closely... This has me leaning towards the K550 just based on price alone.

I will really only be listening to punk rock/grunge/rock on vinyl at home.

Can someone tell me if it is really worth the extra $200 for the D2K or if I should just go ahead and grab the K550. I know the D2K have been discontinued and I'm really not interested in paying over the odds just for nostalgia reasons. Everything I have read on here leads me to believe these 2 sets are rated very closely together, I don't mind spending $500 but I dont want to spend that kind of money if I can get a set that provide a similar experience for $300.

I am not closed to looking at other contenders but these 2 seem to be the most popular in my price and spec bracket.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't own either of these headphones, but one note for your consideration - the d2k are not fully closed - they are sort of semi-closed, and do not provide as much isolation as a purely closed-back headphone. The 550 is a closed-back headphone and isolates as such. As you mentioned, and from reviews I have read, the 550 is prob the better deal, as the d2k is so expensive b/c it has been disco'd.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 8
I've got both, and they are very, very different animals, to the point you just can't compare them no matter what. For starters, the D2000 have a much more deep, punchy bass, whereas the K550 are almost bass light. Sure the bass is there, and it has some depth but it lacks punch and energy.

If you talk about the treble, the D2000 have a very pronounced, sometimes hurtful, but always full of energy... as, with the K550, its a very neutral and resolute treble, yet never hurtful to the ears.

To me, the K550 sound kinda close to a K701, although in a closed can, with more bass and not as resolute in the treble. Yes, you might say that the K550 (as with the K701) may sound thin (as for the lack of body caused by the bass being light), depending on the music you normally hear.  As for the D2000... they are a V-shaped can, with a very deep and punchy bass.

Very, very different beasts... oh, and the D2000 are "sorta" closed cans, as they isolate terrible (in and out), whereas the K550 have a good isolation.

PS: I'd take the D2000, as the K550 fall in "nobody's land"... if you truly like what the D2000 has to offer. The thing is, if you like the K550, there are better alternatives both if you are treble-focused and also if you are bass-focused, as the K550 excels in nothing.

For me, I'd take the K701 over the K550 any day... since they sound alike yet the K701 is superior in every single aspect... except in regards to bass and, even for that, the K550 are lacking. Heck, to me, the D2000 and the K701 compliment each other very well since they are almost opposite beasts...

PSS: I forgot. Do you truly like bass? The D2000 are truly bass heavy, so if you are interested in them, make sure to understand what It means... as they are very intense. The K550 would be thin, compared to how fat the D2000 are, in terms of sound.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 8
Prava, really appreciate how you described these. Thanks.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 8
I don't own the D2000, but I do own the D5000 and K550 so I may be able to chime in here.

People say that the K550 are bass light - they are not. They have good bass extension though not quite what the D5000 I have do.
For bass - D2000 will likely win pretty heavily.

Treble
The D5000 (2000 possibly as well) win easily here. They make treble sounds such as a violin sound amazing.

Isolation - K550 isolate EXTREMELY well. The D2000, while "semi open" isolate fairly well, especially at normal-slightly loud listening levels where you hear nothing over the music. They do leak as well, but not near as heavily as people like to say.
K550 easily wins here.

Detail - this is where my D5000 may not be entirely accurate to what the D2000 is but the D5000's blow the K550s out of the water in detail.

Is it worth the cash jump? possibly. I would try to get a used set of D2000's for cheaper or go for used D5000's myself. but the K550's are very good as well.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Prava, really appreciate how you described these. Thanks.

You're welcome, although its very complicated to try to explain audio in a foreign language hehe. 

@tdunks: you are right that the K550 aren't bass light... but, compared to the D2000, they truly are. Sure, I'm not talking about depth or extension, but about punch, about body, about energy. The K550 allows you to hear the bass extension, whereas with the D2000 you "feel it". That's why I think the K550 sound "thin" whereas the D2000 sound "fat", because the former are about hearing, whereas the latter are about feeling.

All in all, its a matter of taste or preference. I know that as much as the K701 are terribly thin... they are as good as it gets (huge IMO here) for classical, blues, and any style of music that requires no feeling rather than the music itself. To me, such music styles deserve nothing else than a bloody neutral headphone because everything you need is already on the score (again, huuuuge IMO since I'm a classical musician myself and when looking at the styles I do know I'm looking for nothing than true reproduction... and thus I prefer the HD600 over the HD650 any time of the day).

Now, when its time to have fun, "feel" some explosions around you... time to let the Denon riders get into the fight 
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Hi All,

This is my first post so I'm a total noob but getting my head around things.... I have a few questions that I hope some of you may be able to help me out with....

I have been reading a lot of threads and reviews for cans in my price range and what I am looking for. Basically, closed can under $500. I am pretty much set on either the AKG K550 or the Denon D2000. I know there are a lot of threads around comparing the two, the D2K has more bass and the K550 has better isolation etc etc...

My question is this, the K550 are going for around $300 (I'm in Australia) and the D2K for $499 - to me, and I know I am new to all of this, but that seems a big difference for cans that are rated so closely... This has me leaning towards the K550 just based on price alone.

I will really only be listening to punk rock/grunge/rock on vinyl at home.

Can someone tell me if it is really worth the extra $200 for the D2K or if I should just go ahead and grab the K550. I know the D2K have been discontinued and I'm really not interested in paying over the odds just for nostalgia reasons. Everything I have read on here leads me to believe these 2 sets are rated very closely together, I don't mind spending $500 but I dont want to spend that kind of money if I can get a set that provide a similar experience for $300.

I am not closed to looking at other contenders but these 2 seem to be the most popular in my price and spec bracket.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Heya,

Look into the AKG K167 for a little bit of both worlds. For less $ too.

(Also look into the Beyer DT770 & AudioTechnica A900X)

Very best,

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your assistance, There is so much to learn and in the end I think i just need to jump in the deep end!!

I have been doing some research on the K167 - Thanks MalVeauX. Anyway, this has lead me onto imminent release of the K267 so I think I will pull the trigger on these. I have a new turntable on the way so have a bit of time up my sleeves to read some reviews etc..

Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back