AKG K550 Review.
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #226 of 330
Would you say the overall tonal balance/SS is similar to the 280, only with better soundstage and extension? Because that's exactly what I'm looking for :D I would like something with a bit more bass than the 280 though, it's what I would call neutral and I'd prefer something with just a bit more impact and texture; I am looking for something that will serve me well for both mixing and personal listening.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #227 of 330
Yes on your first sentence except soundstage. Those 280s sounded so laid back to me it is really hard to compare from memory. You can say imaging is better.

For the extra 40 bucks they are worth every penny as an upgrade to the 280, but if you are looking primarily for a closed phone with large soundstage you are on the correct thread of course you will be spending about twice that of the krk.

I have the k550 and premium version of the dt770. Imo they both sound nearly open compared to most closed cans. You don't get that effect with the krk.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #229 of 330
My DT770/600 have at least as much midrange as the K550 with less upper midrange harshness. The K550 has better quality bass and is much easier to drive. The DT770 isolates better (but I have dynamat inside the cups- I am going to try that on the K550). They are fairly similar otherwise- both detailed and airy sounding (for closed) with a mostly balanced sound, the DT770 being overall warmer sounding.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #230 of 330
Quote:
Just got these and am very impressed. Bass quality, extension, detail retrieval, air are all excellent. I would prefer a less harsh upper midrange though (just a bit of sibilance)- has anybody modded to soften this?

Thanks!

Try messing with amp/source perhaps? I think with the Graham Slees amp it will be a good pairing but i haven't had a chance to heard it
tongue.gif
. My friend said that K550 with HM801 is a wondwerful pairing though

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #231 of 330
Been thinking of selling my K550's for an open back design. Love my 550's, but I've yet to be able to spend time with an open back headphone. Have a few in mind. Looking for some insight, any help is greatly appreciated!

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #232 of 330
Been thinking of selling my K550's for an open back design. Love my 550's, but I've yet to be able to spend time with an open back headphone. Have a few in mind. Looking for some insight, any help is greatly appreciated!

It would be helpful if you mentioned the other phones in your history, what you thought of them, and what you want in your next cans.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #233 of 330
Well these K550 and my Sony ZX700 are the only real headphones I've had. I enjoy them both, I just want to experience something new. Something that is a different sound and feel all together. I have my eye on the Hifiman HE-400's at the moment. Though I'm pretty open as I'm sort of lost as far as quality open backs go. I've also been looking at the Sony MDr-MA900, though I've heard both good and bad for those.

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #234 of 330
Quote:
Well these K550 and my Sony ZX700 are the only real headphones I've had. I enjoy them both, I just want to experience something new. Something that is a different sound and feel all together. I have my eye on the Hifiman HE-400's at the moment. Though I'm pretty open as I'm sort of lost as far as quality open backs go. I've also been looking at the Sony MDr-MA900, though I've heard both good and bad for those.

Both phones definitely have a different sound signature against K550

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #235 of 330
Quote:

find some used Senn HD580 for no more than $150

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #236 of 330
Quote:
....Apparently the K167 is a more detailed, punchier version of the K550 sound-wise, so I hope these are a step up from that. Are people expecting the 'studio' setting to be relatively balanced, and the other settings simply add bass? How have AKG's past adjustable sound headphones ended up?

So anyone get to try out the new K167 and compare against the K550 ? I thought these being designed for "studio" or "DJ" use has different ends in mind ? From the impressions I came across so far, the general consensus seems to be that the K167 has less controversial bass issue, but I don't get a clear picture if the quality of other spectrum is up to the K550 level. Would appreciate some insight.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #237 of 330
So anyone get to try out the new K167 and compare against the K550 ? I thought these being designed for "studio" or "DJ" use has different ends in mind ? From the impressions I came across so far, the general consensus seems to be that the K167 has less controversial bass issue, but I don't get a clear picture if the quality of other spectrum is up to the K550 level. Would appreciate some insight.

I haven't heard the K167 but it is possible that they simply have fewer fit issues than the K550 and it is the improper seal that is the likely culprit for most of the bass controversies with these cans. With this said, it would be nice for someone to post a comparison between these two headphones (and the K267 as well).

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #238 of 330
i hear noise coming from my right driver :frowning2:. im not from the US,will my warranty still apply if i bought it in the US so that i can send it back for them to fix?.(altho the noise is only heard with some songs but songs but i know these songs really well so the noise i hear confuses me,will do some tests).

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #240 of 330
I'm looking for a closed can, to replace my open AKG 141 MKII .  With all I read it seams to me that the 550 would  be something that could fill that place. Liked the Stage the 141 created, and the overall sound of it. I'm aware that a Closed will probably not have the same quality, but I just wonder if there is another can I should consider

Users who are viewing this thread

Back