AKG K550 Review.
Sep 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #136 of 330
Quote:
By the way, I ABSOLUTELY agree about Rush Moving Pictures comment.  I have not heard Tom Sawyer sound so good.  The drums in Tom Sawyer through my K550s sound as good as anything I've heard from any headphones. In fact, I think earlier on this thread I mentioned Tom Sawyer through the K550s.  Based on your comments, it sounds like you are having almost the exact same experience as I.  Seems like you and I have very similar hearing.

That brings back some good memories - I think this was the song that inspired me to pick up the bass guitar. Geddy's voice is amazing (back then).

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #137 of 330
Quote:

That brings back some good memories - I think this was the song that inspired me to pick up the bass guitar. Geddy's voice is amazing (back then).

And isn't this why we all are so passionate about audio-quality/music?  Music can be a transcendent experience devoid of time and place.  The weirdest thoughts/memories creep into my mind when I hear music sometimes.

But Tali, if you haven't listened to Moving Pictures through K550s, you have to.  It's about as good an album/headphone pairing as I've ever heard.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #138 of 330
Quote:
And isn't this why we all are so passionate about audio-quality/music?  Music can be a transcendent experience devoid of time and place.  The weirdest thoughts/memories creep into my mind when I hear music sometimes.

But Tali, if you haven't listened to Moving Pictures through K550s, you have to.  It's about as good an album/headphone pairing as I've ever heard.

Couldn't agree more. I've got the 2011 remaster of Moving Pictures that includes the 24-bit/96 kHz DVD Audio stereo version (also has 24-bit/96 kHz 5.1 version). I'll be enjoying that on the K550s in the next few days :)

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #140 of 330
hi,

I just switched to these cans from the m50s after an extensive search on what I'd like for headphones.  I just got them and it seems to me that the balance is off: sounds that are supposed to be in the center seem like the come from center right.  Sounds that come from the left seem like they're coming from the center left and sounds that come from the right seem louder.  I switched the headphones around and had the right cup to my left ear and tried playing the same things and the opposite effect is observed (right = left, left = center right and center = center left).  Is there something wrong with my earphones?

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #143 of 330
Quote:
hi,

I just switched to these cans from the m50s after an extensive search on what I'd like for headphones.  I just got them and it seems to me that the balance is off: sounds that are supposed to be in the center seem like the come from center right.  Sounds that come from the left seem like they're coming from the center left and sounds that come from the right seem louder.  I switched the headphones around and had the right cup to my left ear and tried playing the same things and the opposite effect is observed (right = left, left = center right and center = center left).  Is there something wrong with my earphones?

You may want to rma for a new set.  B/C that doesn't happen for me.

Were you watching a movie?  Listening to a song?  can you specify which song/movie?  I will see if I am hearing same thing you are.  Because if not, could be an issue with your specific set.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #144 of 330
hi,

It could be your source as well. Since these phones are fairly sensitive, if you at listening to them at very low volumes, your source itself may be unbalanced. This happens to me when using porta pros with an old corda move amp at low volumes. The last thing I would try is to increase volume to see if that balances things out and/or use another source. If it doesn't I would return the phones.

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #145 of 330
Quote:
You may want to rma for a new set.  B/C that doesn't happen for me.

Were you watching a movie?  Listening to a song?  can you specify which song/movie?  I will see if I am hearing same thing you are.  Because if not, could be an issue with your specific set.

I first noticed it while watching the latest episode of 2 Broke Girls,  The intro riff usually plays center, but it was off to the right.  I then checked out http://www.richardfarrar.com/are-your-speakers-wired-correctly/ to see if it's a balance thing.  That's where I did my tests and found that the center was playing in the center right.

Quote:
It could be your source as well. Since these phones are fairly sensitive, if you at listening to them at very low volumes, your source itself may be unbalanced. This happens to me when using porta pros with an old corda move amp at low volumes. The last thing I would try is to increase volume to see if that balances things out and/or use another source. If it doesn't I would return the phones.

I tried it on my desktop, android phone and ipad.  The results are the same for all three devices.  That's a bummer that I have to return it; it's a pain to ship.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #147 of 330
Quote:

I first noticed it while watching the latest episode of 2 Broke Girls,  The intro riff usually plays center, but it was off to the right.  I then checked out http://www.richardfarrar.com/are-your-speakers-wired-correctly/ to see if it's a balance thing.  That's where I did my tests and found that the center was playing in the center right.

I tried it on my desktop, android phone and ipad.  The results are the same for all three devices.  That's a bummer that I have to return it; it's a pain to ship.

Just to add one more confirmation, I played the samples at http://www.richardfarrar.com/are-your-speakers-wired-correctly  and the Center one was centered.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #148 of 330
i almost thought i had centering issues this morning on the bus but turns out i didnt seal it properly over my right ear,lol.so far im loving the k550 as my first entry level headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back