AKG K550 + electronica
Aug 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jadrian

New Head-Fier
Hey head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm starting University soon and I want to buy a little present for myself. I'm fairly new to the headphone game, though I've had some experience with IEMs. (Owned Shure & Klipsch in the past.)

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones (staying in dorms), I've been looking at the AKG K550 since they look excellent and meet my criteria of being a isolating headphone, with the added bonus of sounding open.

However, I've been reading some reviews I'm worried about the levels of bass they put out. I don't want gaudy, show-offy bass, but I listen to a lot of electronic music such as dubstep and minimal house (shlohmo, maya jane coles, burial type stuff) where it's often a focus. And the reviews of the K550 often tend to have differing opinions of what their bass output is like. 

I'm looking to spend around £100-180, however I don't have an amp at the moment, so I would be playing FLAC from my integrated soundcard. (Another reason I looked at the K550, since they're easy to drive.) Would Beyer DT770s a safer/smarter choice? I'll consider any recommendations offered. I will probably get myself a fiio amp in the near future too.

Edit: Oops, saw the recommendation thread after I had posted this. Not sure how to delete this, sorry~

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 5
If you can get to a HMV you may still be able to pick up a Denon AH-D2000, which sounds perfect for what you're after.

They've been discontinued and HMV are selling off final stocks in-store only, £150 down from £200. Fantastic headphone and perfect for electronica. (Currently listening to Splashz by Actress on mine and the bass is glorious
smile.gif
)

They are a pretty popular choice round this forum, so a quick search should bring up plenty of detailed reviews. Don't strictly need an amp and will run off a laptop/ipod just fine (but mine definitely sound better through my fiio E7.)

Only negative might be the relatively poor isolation for a closed headphone. I don't find it a problem, but then I'm not a fan of the 'closed in' feeling a fully sealed headphone gives you. They still block out most distractions when I'm trying to work ...

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Hey head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm starting University soon and I want to buy a little present for myself. I'm fairly new to the headphone game, though I've had some experience with IEMs. (Owned Shure & Klipsch in the past.)

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones (staying in dorms), I've been looking at the AKG K550 since they look excellent and meet my criteria of being a isolating headphone, with the added bonus of sounding open.

However, I've been reading some reviews I'm worried about the levels of bass they put out. I don't want gaudy, show-offy bass, but I listen to a lot of electronic music such as dubstep and minimal house (shlohmo, maya jane coles, burial type stuff) where it's often a focus. And the reviews of the K550 often tend to have differing opinions of what their bass output is like. 

I'm looking to spend around £100-180, however I don't have an amp at the moment, so I would be playing FLAC from my integrated sound card. (Another reason I looked at the K550, since they're easy to drive.) Would Beyer DT770s a safer/smarter choice? I'll consider any recommendations offered. I will probably get myself a fiio amp in the near future too.

Edit: Oops, saw the recommendation thread after I had posted this. Not sure how to delete this, sorry~

You can at least get the Asus Xonar DG sound card (25 GBP?), better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then your Win PC.

For a low cost option ($46 GBP + shipping, from Thomann)
Superlux HD-660, with Beyerdynamic Velour ear pads.
The HD-660 is a Taiwanese knock off of the Beyer DT770.
and is 150-Ohm, so you wound need the Xonar DG's headphone amplifier to work on your PC.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
You can at least get the Asus Xonar DG sound card (25 GBP?), better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then your Win PC.

For a low cost option ($46 GBP + shipping, from Thomann)
Superlux HD-660, with Beyerdynamic Velour ear pads.
The HD-660 is a Taiwanese knock off of the Beyer DT770.
and is 150-Ohm, so you wound need the Xonar DG's headphone amplifier to work on your PC.

Does the Xonar have decent linux drivers? (Yes, I am one of *those* guys...)
rolleyes.gif

I think will check out HMV maybe friday, hopefully I might be able to listen before I make any purchases. Will probably see what richersounds has to offer too.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 5
I enjoy my K550s very much for electronica / dubstep / progresive, but as another member mentioned, the Denon AH-D2000 would definitely be the way to go if you can get ahold of a pair.

I am in the processes of selling my K550s to get the AH-D2000 before they become too hard to find.

So my vote is to the AH-D2000
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back