AKG K540 mini-review
Feb 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wyldeyouth

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
This can be found in another AKG K540 thread, but i decided to share what i think of this pair.

[Update] After some 60h of burn-in they sound much tighter, and the depth below 500Hz has improved significantly. I'm real happy i got them :wink:.

Lets me start by saying that the only pair i owned before these was Sennheiser HD238 open cans.

Since im new to the headphone scene and hi-fi gear, I cant give much in-depth info on these.
What I can say is; they are ultra comfortable, lightweight and sits well on the head.

The sound is open and airy with great upper mids and highs. I only wish there was more depth into the lower freqs. Tho this isn't a really big issue. My music of choice is 90% of the time is metal/rock in all its shapes and forms. Handles fast drums and riffs great, but the sound of cymbals and other percussion is what makes these shine imo

Since im new it is really hard to give them any rank. Im just gonna finnish by saying: If you like rock/metal, and want clear details and pretty forward-sounding cans, these are for you.

These play well with my D2+. And after changing the EQ filters they give me a good punchy sound with sweet mids/highs, a growling yet detailed bass guitar and great instrument separation.

If anyone is interested in how they sound with other genres i can do some testing for you.
[/size]

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 10
there is no reason for EQ tried them today, quite bassy with some sharp highs, mids don't lack as much as I though... feels cheap though, IMHO

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Honestly I prefer these to my sr125s...  They do feel very cheap (damn modern made in China AKGs) but they do have pretty nice, forward sound for the price point.  For <$100 these are a steal for the sound quality imo, though I paid too much for them in Europe ~150.  Still, very fun phones.  Not that analytical or for use with anything serious, but great for just listening while on a plane trip / other times you're willing to sacrifice some sq.  Also they're fairly portable, though flimsy, so that's a plus if you like bringing headphones out with you, they end in a 3.5mm unlike my sr125s and are only 32ohms.  I keep mentioning the grados because they're around the same price point (prob closer to the sr80i's but I don't own those).  I actually paid more for the 540s bc I got a deal on my 125s / paid too much for the 540s but I could care less because I prefer the signature on the akgs (and definitely prefer the comfort over Grado lol).  Just wish they weren't made in China like the rest of AKG now.  Damn Harman.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 10
I demo'ed these and walked away disappointed. The upper mids had this shouty/overemphasized quality that quickly became grating to my ears. I felt they also lacked body and thickness where it counts. They were really comfortable to wear though.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Oh yeah I totally agree, but it's for that reason I think they're decent for rock.  They are pretty thin sounding though, definitely not a very lush sounding can.  Not bad for portable sound but they need to be more durable.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I demo'ed these and walked away disappointed. The upper mids had this shouty/overemphasized quality that quickly became grating to my ears. I felt they also lacked body and thickness where it counts. They were really comfortable to wear though.

sounds like the K701 in a nutshell, lol. (minus the headband)

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I have bought these today, and the sound is horrible in my opinion, the bass is decent, is this normal for this headphone to sound so horrible at first?

yep... this is how AKGs sound these days... /me *sobs*

May 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
yep... this is how AKGs sound these days... /me *sobs*

I know this is a very old post, but what do you think of the K540's? I'm used to them as of right now. While I think they're actually quite good for electronic music, they just sound to thin for rap music. And they are quite sibilant and bright aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back