AKG K518 DJ/LE vs Philips O'Neill "Stretch" SHO 9560
Sep 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kiryaa

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I need new headphones for "on the go" purpose. For me that is everything that is smaller than my Sony XB-500 (which are quite huge).
So, here, in my country AKG K518 and Philips O'Neill "Stretch" cost the same. And I can't decide which ones should I choose. My girlfriend has Philips and I like how they sound. Also I love their look. But AKG looks good too. There are two things that bother me:
1. AKGs looks smaller > more portable
2. But everywhere on the internet I see one problem with AKGs - they put too much pressure on the head. While Philips are veeery comfortable. My head is average, but still that fact bothers me a lot.
So, good people, please help me to choose between these two. Only THESE TWO! I don't want any other variants :)
Thank you!

http://keyibai.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/d0b57__9deca373jw1dsokjzcv9kj.jpg Philips SHO 9560

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/SeaVooD/list/k518.jpg AKG K518

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hello!
I need new headphones for "on the go" purpose. For me that is everything that is smaller than my Sony XB-500 (which are quite huge).
So, here, in my country AKG K518 and Philips O'Neill "Stretch" cost the same. And I can't decide which ones should I choose. My girlfriend has Philips and I like how they sound. Also I love their look. But AKG looks good too. There are two things that bother me:
1. AKGs looks smaller > more portable
2. But everywhere on the internet I see one problem with AKGs - they put too much pressure on the head. While Philips are veeery comfortable. My head is average, but still that fact bothers me a lot.
So, good people, please help me to choose between these two. Only THESE TWO! I don't want any other variants :)
Thank you!

http://keyibai.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/d0b57__9deca373jw1dsokjzcv9kj.jpg Philips SHO 9560

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/SeaVooD/list/k518.jpg AKG K518

I have those "Stretch" headphones. I would be shocked if the AKG model there didn't sound better. The Stretch sound somewhat muffled....they need a fair amount of power and some EQ-ing. That said, the Stretch are pretty durable, so as a strictly on-the-go solution, not with ultimate sound, they might work for you.

I have no experieince with those AKG 'phones, so i can't comment on them.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Seems like I need to try some serious headphones to say that "Stretch" are not-so-good at sound :D Because they sound very good to me. Tried them with an iPod Touch.
Would be cool to hear from AKG owner their point of view :)

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Seems like I need to try some serious headphones to say that "Stretch" are not-so-good at sound :D Because they sound very good to me. Tried them with an iPod Touch.
Would be cool to hear from AKG owner their point of view :)

Well, everyone's ears are different....so if you like their sound, then that is what is important. If they sound good to you, that combined with their durability makes me think they would be a good choice for you then.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Well, everyone's ears are different....so if you like their sound, then that is what is important. If they sound good to you, that combined with their durability makes me think they would be a good choice for you then.
smile_phones.gif

You know what? After hearing this stuff from you I don't think about AKGs as of good choice any more :D You completely destroyed them for me :)

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
You know what? After hearing this stuff from you I don't think about AKGs as of good choice any more :D You completely destroyed them for me :)

Well, then I wish you luck, and I hope you enjoy what you get.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I have those "Stretch" headphones. I would be shocked if the AKG model there didn't sound better. The Stretch sound somewhat muffled....they need a fair amount of power and some EQ-ing. That said, the Stretch are pretty durable, so as a strictly on-the-go solution, not with ultimate sound, they might work for you.

I have no experieince with those AKG 'phones, so i can't comment on them.

+1

i returned the STRETCH headphones for those exact reasons. i would try other headphones, there are better out there but i only have cheap headphones so im not the right person to ask which headphones you should get.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 8
What did you get?? I now have both, picked up the akg's for $15 at a close out sale. My opinion? I am now in the process of figuring out the necessary mods to make the akg's wearable. Seriously they are the most uncomfortable cans I ever put on. Sound is very good for what they are, bass cans. The difference between these and the stretch is not significant sound wise unless you are critically listening( neither suited for IMo) but as a rough and tumble, the stretch are much much more durable, and sooooo much more comfortable. At this point, more than 15 min o. The AKG 518 and my head throbs from the clamping pressure and the band drilling through the top of my head. And my head is not on the big side either! Who did they make these for? They are going to require dramatic modification to make them wearable for any significant period of time. If you are paying any $ for them make sure you try them on first!!! I am bookstack stretching the headband and preparing to mod the hinges as well. Pulled the inner foam to get at the mid's and soften the boom a little. I just can't get over the design of these things. My Grado's feel luxurious In Comparison, and I know AKG knows how to make a comfortable rig as my k702's testify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back