AKG K430 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 70
Got a UPS tracking # already. Delivery before the Thanksgiving holiday seems possible.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 70
I got my k420 in the mail today. No k430 yet, but maybe tomorrow.
I'm surprised at how TINY these things are. The fit seems to be quite good. Build quality doesn't seem that bad, but the cable feels very cheap.

I've only listened to them for 5 minutes, but the first thing I noticed was how bass heavy they appeared to be out of the box.
Mids seem good so far and not recessed.

Obviously the k430 will sound different, so I'll shut up about the k420. I imagine the k430 sounds even better.

EDIT: Wow, those k420 have one aggressive sound signature. I don't know if I like it. There's a huge mid-bass hump, and they're too bass heavy and very bright.
I haven't had a headphone fatigue my ears this fast since my Grado 325i. My ears were ringing and I had to give them a break.

Sorry for the off topic comments, but I figured someone would be interested in knowing about the k420. Totally more of a "fun" signature and nowhere near neutral.

It's funny, for my own amusement I selected the "Bass Booster" for a few minutes and vocals sounded like they were inside a cave like 100 feet
confused_face%281%29.gif

I hate using an EQ, but I think the only way I can use these is with one or a "Bass Reducer" setting. This coming from someone who likes the D2000.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 70

Quote:
I got my k420 in the mail today. No k430 yet, but maybe tomorrow.
I'm surprised at how TINY these things are. The fit seems to be quite good. Build quality doesn't seem that bad, but the cable feels very cheap.

I've only listened to them for 5 minutes, but the first thing I noticed was how bass heavy they appeared to be out of the box.
Mids seem good so far and not recessed.

Obviously the k430 will sound different, so I'll shut up about the k420. I imagine the k430 sounds even better.

EDIT: Wow, those k420 have one aggressive sound signature. I don't know if I like it. There's a huge mid-bass hump, and they're too bass heavy and very bright.
I haven't had a headphone fatigue my ears this fast since my Grado 325i. My ears were ringing and I had to give them a break.

Sorry for the off topic comments, but I figured someone would be interested in knowing about the k420. Totally more of a "fun" signature and nowhere near neutral.

It's funny, for my own amusement I selected the "Bass Booster" for a few minutes and vocals sounded like they were inside a cave like 100 feet
confused_face%281%29.gif

I hate using an EQ, but I think the only way I can use these is with one or a "Bass Reducer" setting. This coming from someone who likes the D2000.

Into the burn-in box they go!

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #22 of 70

Yeah I totally believe in burn-in. It all depends on the headphones though. I usually like to wait until AFTER burn-in before I given impressions, but I wanted to anyway.
I'm hoping they get better. I'll know soon.
Quote:
Into the burn-in box they go!

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #24 of 70
Just bought a pair of Superlux HD668B and out of the box they were just like you described but after 100+ hours of burnin the signature has improved dramatically. Hopefully these will be the same in that regard if they are to bass heavy and trebly out of the box.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #25 of 70
Anyone get their pair yet? Mine will be a while so I want to live vicariously through others :)

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #26 of 70

Quote:
Anyone get their pair yet? Mine will be a while so I want to live vicariously through others :)

Nope. Scheduled to be here on Wednesday. I sure hope they're better then my k420. I guess if I don't like them I can sell them on here for what I paid.

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #29 of 70
Thanks for the replies guys.

Tdockweiler, if you like, take a look at my signature and click on the link labeled P-W-B-P-W.flac anf download that FLAC file and set it up to loop play with your K420, the file should help bring out the midrange more, and help mellow the bass and tune up the treble as well. If you can do it set it to loop and then leave them burn-in for 24hrs and then have a listen to see if it helps and then go from there. The other file in my link can be used as well but it may actually make the bass even more pronounce so should be used cautiously. I also use track with heavy drums interspersed than seemd to help tame the bass on some phones but haven't had time to make a version available. I also set the volume fairly aggressively especially when only using the noise files usually using white noise to set the volume going to a sound level I find very loud and annoying on that sound, the pink and brown noise will then not be quite so loud. The files in my signature all have a built in rest period so you can set them to loop without worrying that you will harm your headphones.

My experience with the lower end AKG's has been they need ALOT of burnin (150hrs+) to reach their actual maturity. I had one pair I gave up on (after about 50hrs of burn-in), so sold to a friend at work. He kept telling me how much they continued to improve for the next 9 months until they finally stopped changing and at the end he was extremely happy with the way they sounded.

Quote:
Nope. Scheduled to be here on Wednesday. I sure hope they're better then my k420. I guess if I don't like them I can sell them on here for what I paid.

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #30 of 70
Well my expected shipment date says the 30th, but its actually in my area out for delivery.  Will probably get them later today.

I have to say that was pretty nice, getting them before Thanksgiving.  They shipped it on the weekend, kudos to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back