AKG K361/K371
Nov 29, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #61 of 1,294
^I bought a pair together with the K245 and I very much agree with your sentiments...although it was the fourth AKG(!) I’d listened to that didn’t sound thin. The first and second was the K260 and K240, cans I still adore btw, and the third was the K245. The K245 and K371 actually sound fairly similar frequency response-wise, although I’d give the former the nod regarding overall linearity. K245 also sounds like an open can (surprise!) whilst retaining bass capabilities I normally associate with very very good closedbacks..something I am a little confused by actually, but I am certainly not complaining!
At a 145€ the K371 quite simply destroys it’s competition - it’s that good..but at 99 the K245 literally boggles the mind. It’s a truly wonderful headphone.

Well, there is clearly a hype train for the K371, so I'm considering the purchase, but I already have the K245, and I've not seen anything close to a hype train for those (I think they've been mostly dismissed here on Head-Fi and really ignored more or less elsewhere), so I'm intrigued that you say that they "sound fairly similar frequency response-wise" but you give the K245 the nod for overall linearity.

So, given that I already have the K245, what does the K371 do better, in your view -- besides of course the obvious benefits of closed back headphones like isolation, of course? :)

Nov 29, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #62 of 1,294
The K361 is in. I'll do a comparo over the weekend.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #63 of 1,294
Well, there is clearly a hype train for the K371, so I'm considering the purchase, but I already have the K245, and I've not seen anything close to a hype train for those (I think they've been mostly dismissed here on Head-Fi and really ignored more or less elsewhere), so I'm intrigued that you say that they "sound fairly similar frequency response-wise" but you give the K245 the nod for overall linearity.

So, given that I already have the K245, what does the K371 do better, in your view -- besides of course the obvious benefits of closed back headphones like isolation, of course? :)
Nothing to be perfectly honest with you. I think it’s an open vs closed thing. Usually the bass reaches lower on closedbacks and gives you that visceral sense of slam..but the K245 does that too.
The K371 is the better headphone in two aspects though: comfort because of the oval pads and sure isolation from ze world:)
Still compared to other closedbacks the K371 pretty much smokes most of em until you get to something like a D7200, which I dig more...but it’s not leaps and bounds better. The hype train is indeed deserved..and *gulp* for a headphone that doesn’t cost the same as a kidney? This is madness!
No...this is Christmas...heh

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #64 of 1,294
Nothing to be perfectly honest with you. I think it’s an open vs closed thing. Usually the bass reaches lower on closedbacks and gives you that visceral sense of slam..but the K245 does that too.
The K371 is the better headphone in two aspects though: comfort because of the oval pads and sure isolation from ze world:)
Still compared to other closedbacks the K371 pretty much smokes most of em until you get to something like a D7200, which I dig more...but it’s not leaps and bounds better. The hype train is indeed deserved..and *gulp* for a headphone that doesn’t cost the same as a kidney? This is madness!
No...this is Christmas...heh
Agree. AKG has put out a number of neutral sounding headphones of late. That was always their game but they've now got some lower register information in their phones. The K240 and K501 had nothing in terms of low bass.

Between the K371 and the K245, I hear a little more air in the top of the K245. I'll get to the K361 in the next day or so. The K245 I would call a semi-open. Not much leakage, and if you put your palms over the backs, not much change in sound, if any at all.

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #65 of 1,294
Some excellent reviews on youtube about the K371s and K361s here:

comparison between both here:

Some qc issues also around the net:

Not sure if AKG new batch have fixed this issue or not? Seems the general jist is to give these a few days to break in, I found my AKG 550s smoother after few days use so maybe these 361, 371s need a bit of time to break in.

Very tempted to give these a try and compare to my AKG 550 mark3s with brainwavz pads but the lack of soundstage, and they appear to not isolate as well as the K550s is a tad off putting, think one reviewer said trying different pads on did not work and made the sound quality worse and I know from my AKG K550s pleather pads they use to turn to dust in a year or so and cost £20+ to replace.

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #66 of 1,294
Got a K371 at Guitar Center for $134 today and am loving them. I've been a fan of the Harman target since getting the Samsung Galaxy Buds. Since then I've been EQ'ing my M50x and HD650 to the Harman target.

These K371 sound awesome without any EQ, and even better with a slight 8k and 16k boost to bring up the sparkle and air. They sound very smooth, meaning no obvious peaks or dips like the M50x. I attached my ES100 to it with some Velcro, and have been enjoying them all afternoon with just a small 8k and 16k boost since I like a bit more sparkle and air. The bass is nice with no bloat or mid-range bleed. The mids remind me a bit of my HD650. The treble seems pretty smooth as well, only rolled off a tiny bit more than I'd like up top. Overall these are great, especially for only $134.

IMG_20191201_145645.jpg

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #67 of 1,294
The Frequency Curve response of this one is just perfect for me.
If I could have the exact same sound in an IEM shape (I guess it would be a slightly different curve as IEM's measure differently to headphones), I'd be all over it and be done :)

The Samsung Galaxy Buds shoot for the IE version of the Harman target. The Galaxy Buds are what got me into enjoying the Harman target.

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #68 of 1,294
Got a K371 at Guitar Center for $134 today and am loving them. I've been a fan of the Harman target since getting the Samsung Galaxy Buds. Since then I've been EQ'ing my M50x and HD650 to the Harman target.

These K371 sound awesome without any EQ, and even better with a slight 8k and 16k boost to bring up the sparkle and air. They sound very smooth, meaning no obvious peaks or dips like the M50x. I attached my ES100 to it with some Velcro, and have been enjoying them all afternoon with just a small 8k and 16k boost since I like a bit more sparkle and air. The bass is nice with no bloat or mid-range bleed. The mids remind me a bit of my HD650. The treble seems pretty smooth as well, only rolled off a tiny bit more than I'd like up top. Overall these are great, especially for only $134.

Won't be necessary soon. K371bt has already leaked at a few retailers. Although I don't know if it'll support LDAC... doubt it. ES100 rules.

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #69 of 1,294
Won't be necessary soon. K371bt has already leaked at a few retailers. Although I don't know if it'll support LDAC... doubt it. ES100 rules.

I chose to go this route since I already had an ES100 which supports LDAC. The BT K371 is SBC and AAC only.

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #71 of 1,294
DMS review is up and is 100% accurate.

I don't hear the huge dip he speaks about or have any build issues with mine, yet.

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #72 of 1,294
I listened to these briefly at Guitar Center today. They sounded decent, but I'm not sure they are anything special compared to full-sized headphones. I kind of got the impression from reviewers that the K371 is just a great headphone, but I think it is more appropriate to classify it as good for being an easy to drive portable headphone. For example, it sounded less impressive than the DT770 sitting next to it, even from the crappy, underpowered store display audio source.

Not meaning to incite rage from owners, just putting it out there that people who think this is a suitable replacement for a home-oriented headphone will likely be disappointed.

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #74 of 1,294
I listened to these briefly at Guitar Center today. They sounded decent, but I'm not sure they are anything special compared to full-sized headphones. I kind of got the impression from reviewers that the K371 is just a great headphone, but I think it is more appropriate to classify it as good for being an easy to drive portable headphone. For example, it sounded less impressive than the DT770 sitting next to it, even from the crappy, underpowered store display audio source.

Not meaning to incite rage from owners, just putting it out there that people who think this is a suitable replacement for a home-oriented headphone will likely be disappointed.

The Guitar Center I got mine at didn't have a demo to try but I bought them anyway. I basically wanted them because they follow the Harman target almost perfectly. Ever since getting the Samsung Galaxy Buds I've realized that I really like this tuning. I've only used them for a couple hours so far, but I think they are great. I do plan to use them at home even though I have "better" headphones within arms reach. It's a matter of simplicity sometimes. Since I have an ES100 mounted to mine all I have to do is power the ES100 on, put the headphone on and grab my smartphone. I don't have a desk to leave my HD650 plugged into a headphone amp/DAC, and then leave that plugged into my computer. I'd have to get my laptop out of it's bag, plug in the amp/DAC, plug in the headphones and then have to deal with a wire. So anyway, I do plan to use them around the house and at my main listening station. For me convenience comes into play sometimes.

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #75 of 1,294

Exactly. It is a very good headphone and it deserves its praise, but some people are taking that and thinking it competes with headphones more than twice it’s price which isn’t really the case. I think it beats everything at its price point (with the DT 770 being a possible exception but that is more a matter of preference, for those who prefer a v-shape response and greater soundstage).

I think part of that has to do with the fact that there aren’t many great sounding closed back portable cans in existence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back