AKG K361/K371
Dec 31, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,021 of 1,294
This is correct. However, the Shure's use MMCX connectors that are recessed into the cup casing a bit. People have bored these holes out a bit so that most standard MMCX connectors can fit in. In that instance you can then use a balanced cable, say that from IEM's, as long as it's long enough for your intended use.

Can you elaborate a little? Are you saying that I cannot just buy a 2.5mm to 2.5mm balanced for Shure? If not is it a good idea for me to try this?

As for the AKG K371's. I've just bought myself a set and they are outstanding for the money. They don't sound boxy like the Shure SRH1540's did. The tuning is great and addictive, just a safe bet all-in-all. The design, fit and function, and accessories are great. If anyone is looking for a set of closed-back headphones, these are it! Spend your big bucks on your high-end/extravagant/obscurely-tuned/bling-bling open-back HP's.

Again I just believe the balanced out in my DAP has better SQ as it was evident with my iem (and no it is not just the volume). So I am trying to see if I can get a good quality closed back that has a balanced connection. Otherwise I would have gone with K371.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #1,022 of 1,294
This is correct. However, the Shure's use MMCX connectors that are recessed into the cup casing a bit. People have bored these holes out a bit so that most standard MMCX connectors can fit in. In that instance you can then use a balanced cable, say that from IEM's, as long as it's long enough for your intended use.

As for the AKG K371's. I've just bought myself a set and they are outstanding for the money. They don't sound boxy like the Shure SRH1540's did. The tuning is great and addictive, just a safe bet all-in-all. The design, fit and function, and accessories are great. If anyone is looking for a set of closed-back headphones, these are it! Spend your big bucks on your high-end/extravagant/obscurely-tuned/bling-bling open-back HP's.
Is build quality really that bad? How does it compare to something like Sony MDR-1R or Sony MDR-1AM2 for instance.
I still have K271S and they are indestructible, but from feedback here and other boards these seem quite flimsy and prone to easy breakage.

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #1,023 of 1,294
Can you elaborate a little? Are you saying that I cannot just buy a 2.5mm to 2.5mm balanced for Shure? If not is it a good idea for me to try this?

Again I just believe the balanced out in my DAP has better SQ as it was evident with my iem (and no it is not just the volume). So I am trying to see if I can get a good quality closed back that has a balanced connection. Otherwise I would have gone with K371.

You can use a cable like you mentioned, but what Shure says on their website in the FAQ section is that the opening socket in the headphone has a restriction of 6 mm in diameter, so the new cable you’re going to try must not have a termination bigger than that, or it would not fit inside the earcup.

What you will loose with the new cable will probably be the twist-lock mechanism found on the original cable, which, if you want to have, you will have to take of from the original cable and manually solder into the new one.

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #1,024 of 1,294
You can use a cable like you mentioned, but what Shure says on their website in the FAQ section is that the opening socket in the headphone has a restriction of 6 mm in diameter, so the new cable you’re going to try must not have a termination bigger than that, or it would not fit inside the earcup.

What you will loose with the new cable will probably be the twist-lock mechanism found on the original cable, which, if you want to have, you will have to take of from the original cable and manually solder into the new one.
Yes, I know. But they are selling it online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174523603854

I believe this would fit.

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #1,025 of 1,294
Yes, I know. But they are selling it online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174523603854

I believe this would fit.

This cable you are showing, if it is the same one like in the image on the website, it is indeed balanced, but the termination is not 2.5mm, it is 4.4 Pentaconn. On the headphone end yes, it is 2.5, like you can see it smaller in the picture, but on the other end that should go into device is 4.4.

In all the previous posts you mentioned that you need 2.5-2.5..

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #1,026 of 1,294
This cable you are showing, if it is the same one like in the image on the website, it is indeed balanced, but the termination is not 2.5mm, it is 4.4 Pentaconn. On the headphone end yes, it is 2.5, like you can see it smaller in the picture, but on the other end that should go into device is 4.4.

In all the previous posts you mentioned that you need 2.5-2.5..
There is drop down where you can select the variant you want. Did you see that?

Dec 31, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #1,027 of 1,294
Is build quality really that bad? How does it compare to something like Sony MDR-1R or Sony MDR-1AM2 for instance.
I still have K271S and they are indestructible, but from feedback here and other boards these seem quite flimsy and prone to easy breakage.
I never mentioned anything about build quality.

Shure use MMCX connectors, but they're recessed into the cups a lot and are quite narrow. You probably have to open up the entry to get a standard MMCX connector in there. Google search the Shure cable and you'll see.

I'm not sure what you mean by this because you cannot run the AKG K371's balanced, not unless you strip them down and completely rewire them yourself.

Dec 31, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,028 of 1,294
I'm not sure what you mean by this because you cannot run the AKG K371's balanced, not unless you strip them down and completely rewire them yourself.
No, I said I am not going for K371 because it does not support balanced. And my IEM (Kato) sounds better when run with balanced from my DAP, especially the soundstage improves.

Dec 31, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,029 of 1,294
Ah ok gotcha! Read it wrong 😃

I wouldn't completely base your decision on having to have balanced though. You may find some closed back headphones will have better soundstage over the others regardless.

I'm not sure I can recommend any closed backs that have detachable 2.5mm/3.5mm jack connectors going into the cups but I think that may be your best option to look at unless of course they come supplied with balanced cables.

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #1,030 of 1,294
Ah ok gotcha! Read it wrong 😃

I wouldn't completely base your decision on having to have balanced though. You may find some closed back headphones will have better soundstage over the others regardless.

I'm not sure I can recommend any closed backs that have detachable 2.5mm/3.5mm jack connectors going into the cups but I think that may be your best option to look at unless of course they come supplied with balanced cables.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/done-4-pin-balanced-shure-srh840-modification.451154/

In the above thread he is saying we have to rewire them to make it balanced and it's not just the twist-lock mechanism. Am I missing something?

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,031 of 1,294
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/done-4-pin-balanced-shure-srh840-modification.451154/

In the above thread he is saying we have to rewire them to make it balanced and it's not just the twist-lock mechanism. Am I missing something?

Hi,

Here is the cable accessory for the Shure headphone that you had mentioned - the SRH440.

https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/PjxBMBEl/shure-srh-440/cable-large.jpg

That does not look balanced to me. In order to hook up the balanced output of your DAP, you're going to have to find a pair of closed back headphones that have a balanced connection - neither the AKG K371 or the Shure SRH440 meet that criteria without modifications.

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back