AKG K361/K371
May 5, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #1,052 of 1,294
I use the the Yaxi STPad2 (i may or may
not have gotten those letters in the wrong order) with my k361.

Makes them sound more neutral and broadens the stage a little.

If you like bassy Harman tuning it won't be for you, especially if you consider that the K361 is already more neutral than the K371. I like both the stock K361 sound as well as the sound with the Yaxi pads.

But the Yaxis definitely win for comfort. The pads are not very deep, but the foam is firm enough to maintain the distance between my ears and the driver. The stock pads collapse after around 30 mins of use and the driver-ear contact becomes painful for me.

I'd be interested to hear people's impressions of the suede dekoni pads in terms of both sound and comfort (especially whether they can prevent driver-ear contact in during long listening sessions)

May 16, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #1,053 of 1,294
So today the build quality demons of the K361 have started to show up.

I noticed a small crack around the rim of the round hinge/folding mechanism where the flowery logo is printed.

In my paranoia (and my addiction to researching/buying new headphones) I started wondering what I could get as an upgrade, for use on the go, that would be closed back, great sounding, foldable, well built, comfortable, under £250/$300, and ok looking for walking down the street without drawing too much attention.

After an hour or so of research I decided the answer is....

... another K361🤓

There seems to be nothing on the market that ticks all these boxes... a testament to all the positives of these headphones.

The closest thing I could find is probably the Aeon Noire, but they seem far too big for walking around in public, and they cost 10 times the price!

Suggestions welcome of course, but figured I'd show some backhanded appreciation for the K361 in the meantime.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,054 of 1,294
The closest thing I could find is probably the Aeon Noire, but they seem far too big for walking around in public, and they cost 10 times the price!
And from what I hear they need a nice amount of energy to run, so many mobile sources may have insufficient power output...

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #1,055 of 1,294
In my paranoia (and my addiction to researching/buying new headphones) I started wondering what I could get as an upgrade, for use on the go, that would be closed back, great sounding, foldable, well built, comfortable, under £250/$300, and ok looking for walking down the street without drawing too much attention.
Austrian Audio Hi-X60? Thomann's is selling them for USD $289 plus shipping, so they sort of sneak in under your price limit. I haven't been able to hear them yet myself, but I'm curious and they seem to tick all of your boxes.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #1,056 of 1,294
Austrian Audio Hi-X60? Thomann's is selling them for USD $289 plus shipping, so they sort of sneak in under your price limit. I haven't been able to hear them yet myself, but I'm curious and they seem to tick all of your boxes.
Excellent suggestion. I do own one of these, and in my opinion they are the best set Austrian Audio has done. So far :wink:

May 20, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #1,057 of 1,294
I just ordered the choice suede dekoni pads from Amazon for my 371. I could definitely live with the stock pads, as I have already lived with them for the last 2 and a half years, but I want to try these. Will report back after I spend some time with them.

May 25, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,058 of 1,294
I just ordered the choice suede dekoni pads from Amazon for my 371. I could definitely live with the stock pads, as I have already lived with them for the last 2 and a half years, but I want to try these. Will report back after I spend some time with them.

First 5 minute impressions of the K371 with the Dekoni Choice Suede is good. Sub-bass feels a hair stronger, but that’s probably just because of a better seal. The stock pads always had the most sub-bass after a haircut and a shave, but maybe these pads aren’t as sensitive to that. Everything else seems to be unchanged or mostly unchanged at least. I’m excited to listen to them more after work later.

Edit: this is good. Everything sounds like 98% the same. What does stand out is that vocals seem to seem more focused, and the sub-bass is just a hair stronger. The overall frequency response seems pretty much unchanged. In terms of comfort, for my ears and head, these are way better than the stock pads. I can actually move around and not have to sit still and they keep a very consistent seal.

I’ve had my K371 for 2 and a half years, so the stock pads were definitely perfectly usable, but these are better. I never had the ear touching the driver problem, so I can’t comment on that. But I’ve always preferred fabric ear pads over leather or fake leather.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,059 of 1,294
First 5 minute impressions of the K371 with the Dekoni Choice Suede is good. Sub-bass feels a hair stronger, but that’s probably just because of a better seal. The stock pads always had the most sub-bass after a haircut and a shave, but maybe these pads aren’t as sensitive to that. Everything else seems to be unchanged or mostly unchanged at least. I’m excited to listen to them more after work later.

Edit: this is good. Everything sounds like 98% the same. What does stand out is that vocals seem to seem more focused, and the sub-bass is just a hair stronger. The overall frequency response seems pretty much unchanged. In terms of comfort, for my ears and head, these are way better than the stock pads. I can actually move around and not have to sit still and they keep a very consistent seal.

I’ve had my K371 for 2 and a half years, so the stock pads were definitely perfectly usable, but these are better. I never had the ear touching the driver problem, so I can’t comment on that. But I’ve always preferred fabric ear pads over leather or fake leather.
Thanks for this.

Great to hear the sound is mostly unchanged.

How would you say the firmness of the pads compares between the stock and the Dekonis?

Basically if the Dekoni pads are firmer/don't compress as much or as easily, that would suggest to me that they could possibly resolve the ear touching driver issue and may be worth a try.

May 25, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #1,060 of 1,294
Thanks for this.

Great to hear the sound is mostly unchanged.

How would you say the firmness of the pads compares between the stock and the Dekonis?

Basically if the Dekoni pads are firmer/don't compress as much or as easily, that would suggest to me that they could possibly resolve the ear touching driver issue and may be worth a try.
I’d say they compress less.

May 26, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #1,062 of 1,294
Has anyone try to mod their 371 with 4 pin mini xlr socket - so it could be used with balanced cable?
You would have to change the internal cabling as well I guess — but what for? The K371 is quite efficient anyway.

May 27, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #1,063 of 1,294
You would have to change the internal cabling as well I guess — but what for? The K371 is quite efficient anyway.
Just for fun :)
And I believe it could be done without changing cables inside.
Headphone from the socket side (left) would be connected directly to the socket, so cables would be used to connecting only right headphone to the socket.

May 27, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #1,064 of 1,294
Just for fun :)
And I believe it could be done without changing cables inside.
Headphone from the socket side (left) would be connected directly to the socket, so cables would be used to connecting only right headphone to the socket.

If the mini xlr that gets into the headphone only has 3 terminations, it is not possible to terminate to 4 on the other side, so no balanced option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back