AKG K361/K371
May 25, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #331 of 1,294
Im asking because I learned recently that I don't even need a DAC, I can just buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug it on "line out" from my motherboard, however I wouldn't be able to use my Adam A7's but I barely ever use my monitors anyway so im not sure if it's worth buying some DAC. Or can the Magni 3 be used to plug my monitors too on the "out" connectors?

To plug my Adam A7 I use XLR to TRS cable. For this, I would need XLR to RCA cable?

The problem would be that there is only one knob for volume that would control everything.. but at least the Adam A7 have individual knobs

Will I lose sound quality doing this? I have a Aorus Pro x570 motherboard. My headphones look kinda weird when I plug them in there. Its like it has some sort of soundstage algorithm. Like that software that tries to emulate monitors and im not sure what its doing or how to disable it. According to the Realtek options all post processing is disabled.

Do I buy something like this instead?

https://www.thomann.de/es/focusrite_scarlett_4i4_3rd_gen.htm

Im not sure what to do

Technically you can plug your amp into the analog output jack on your computer. Most computers do not include high quality sound cards though, so you might still want to use an external DAC (such as the Focusrite) and feed that analog output signal into your amp. Since that does not relate to the K-317 we should take this discussion to PM though, or you could look through the help subforum section.

May 25, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #332 of 1,294
Ok im gonna buy from Thomann. Now I just need to know: Should I buy another DAC? I have the Audio Kontrol 1 which is faulty, its breaking, the sound goes off and I have to plug and unplug it from the USB. I plug the Magni Schitt 3 on there with TRS cables.

Im asking because I learned recently that I don't even need a DAC, I can just buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug it on "line out" from my motherboard, however I wouldn't be able to use my Adam A7's but I barely ever use my monitors anyway so im not sure if it's worth buying some DAC. Or can the Magni 3 be used to plug my monitors too on the "out" connectors?

Lets compare:

native_instruments-audio_control_1-rear.jpg

71WdfKKAvKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

To plug my Adam A7 I use XLR to TRS cable. For this, I would need XLR to RCA cable?

The problem would be that there is only one knob for volume that would control everything.. but at least the Adam A7 have individual knobs

Will I lose sound quality doing this? I have a Aorus Pro x570 motherboard. My headphones look kinda weird when I plug them in there. Its like it has some sort of soundstage algorithm. Like that software that tries to emulate monitors and im not sure what its doing or how to disable it. According to the Realtek options all post processing is disabled.

Do I buy something like this instead?

https://www.thomann.de/es/focusrite_scarlett_4i4_3rd_gen.htm

Im not sure what to do

Just FYI but as far as I know, the main purpose of the Focusrite that you mentioned is to record sound (from microphone or instruments) ... so it's acting as ADC. It does have a built-in DAC and amp that allows you to live monitor your recorded sound (as well as sound from you computer) but it's not really meant to be used as a DAC. How about pairing your Magni with a Modi DAC instead? BTW, in my opinion the 371 doesn't really need alot of power to drive. I use mine with the Magni 3+Modi Multibit and iFi iDSD BL ... but it also sounds pretty good direct from my computer or phone.

May 25, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #333 of 1,294
Just FYI but as far as I know, the main purpose of the Focusrite that you mentioned is to record sound (from microphone or instruments) ... so it's acting as ADC. It does have a built-in DAC and amp that allows you to live monitor your recorded sound (as well as sound from you computer) but it's not really meant to be used as a DAC. How about pairing your Magni with a Modi DAC instead? BTW, in my opinion the 371 doesn't really need alot of power to drive. I use mine with the Magni 3+Modi Multibit and iFi iDSD BL ... but it also sounds pretty good direct from my computer or phone.

How do I plug my Adam A7 in there then? Also, its more diffucult to buy, im in Europe. Also, I may get a H9000 for free because my brother has it and isnt using it right now. Can I plug H9000 in the UR24C along with the Magni 3 and Adam A7?

I would like to create a thread but I cant.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #334 of 1,294
How do I plug my Adam A7 in there then? Also, its more diffucult to buy, im in Europe. Also, I may get a H9000 for free because my brother has it and isnt using it right now. Can I plug H9000 in the UR24C along with the Magni 3 and Adam A7?

I would like to create a thread but I cant.

Sorry, I am a little confused of your main purpose. If you just want to listen to music from your computer, then connecting the Magni 3 to the line out of your motherboard using a 3.5mm to RCA cable would work. But sound-wise I think a dedicated DAC (doesn't have to be the Modi, I just recommended it because it would make a nice Schiit stack) will improve the sound to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the quality of your chosen DAC.

However, if you intend to use the 371 or another headphone as part of your music recording system (as your stated gear choices seem to suggest), I would recommend to avoid connecting the Magni to your motherboard, as there tend to be latency issues or delays when you monitor the sound. Instead, I think the built-in headphone amp in the Focusrite or the UR24C should be more than enough to drive the 371 (as I said, they are fairly easy to drive) and provide latency-free monitoring. If you really want more power though, I suppose you can connect the RCA out of the UR24C to the Magni 3. I don't see an RCA out on the Focusrite so no idea how that works. And sorry, no experience using the H9000.

May 26, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #336 of 1,294
I’ve just noticed that when these are on my head, the right earpad looks just a little more compressed compared to the left. When on my head, the left looks the same as it would when looking at the pad when they’re not on the head, while the right it’s just a little more squished looking but seems to go back to normal when it’s off.

Is the right side of my head just giving more pressure? Is that pad just broken in more? Wonder if this is something that has any affect on sound, especially since these are so picky when it comes to fit.

This happening to anyone else?

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #337 of 1,294
I’ve just noticed that when these are on my head, the right earpad looks just a little more compressed compared to the left. When on my head, the left looks the same as it would when looking at the pad when they’re not on the head, while the right it’s just a little more squished looking but seems to go back to normal when it’s off.

Is the right side of my head just giving more pressure? Is that pad just broken in more? Wonder if this is something that has any affect on sound, especially since these are so picky when it comes to fit.

This happening to anyone else?
Am I the only one? Lol. Maybe I have a weird head. They seem to fit fine it’s just one pad is more squished then the other when on my head. This seemed to happen with some Beyers I owned too except it was on the opposite side. The left side would get a little more compressed and seemed to stay that way when it wasn’t on my head too.

May 28, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #338 of 1,294
This is what I had to do to keep the hinge still. Now I can finally hold my phone without worrying about it messing up the adjustment.
I can't believe someone designed such a bad hinge design for a headphone made to be used in studios.
Now to think about something prettier.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    922.4 KB · Views: 0
May 28, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #339 of 1,294
This is what I had to do to keep the hinge still. Now I can finally hold my phone without worrying about it messing up the adjustment.
I can't believe someone designed such a bad hinge design for a headphone made to be used in studios.
Now to think about something prettier.

Did you watch this, FlavioWolff? It sounds like others may have similar issues.

You might want to look at some of the other K371 videos I posted on the previous page as well.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #341 of 1,294
Did you watch this, FlavioWolff? It sounds like others may have similar issues.

You might want to look at some of the other K371 videos I posted on the previous page as well.

Yes, I watched all of them when they were released. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it, I guess. The store I bought from won't accept it as malfunctional (my free return period has expired), and I don't believe Harman would pay shipment from Brazil and then send one back because of this defect. I'm not willing to spend any money on this.

May 28, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #342 of 1,294
Am I the only one? Lol. Maybe I have a weird head. They seem to fit fine it’s just one pad is more squished then the other when on my head. This seemed to happen with some Beyers I owned too except it was on the opposite side. The left side would get a little more compressed and seemed to stay that way when it wasn’t on my head too.
I guess some photos may help. Am I crazy or does one look a little flatter than the other? I’m still not sure what’s causing it. I can’t imagine the foam in one of the pads decompressing so quickly.

Attachments

• BA79CE40-16E1-427F-A859-5758B751485E.jpeg
    BA79CE40-16E1-427F-A859-5758B751485E.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 91C1C67E-E675-4847-9758-5019C583BDBD.jpeg
    91C1C67E-E675-4847-9758-5019C583BDBD.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 0
May 29, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #343 of 1,294
^ That looks wrong. The foam inserts are probably different. I ran into similar issues with the K553. AKG doesn't do a good job of insuring consistency in their mfring.

Some replacement pads or foam inserts would probably fix it, if they are removable.

May 29, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #344 of 1,294
^ That looks wrong. The foam inserts are probably different. I ran into similar issues with the K553. AKG doesn't do a good job of insuring consistency in their mfring.

Some replacement pads or foam inserts would probably fix it, if they are removable.
Thanks. Since I don’t believe this is affecting sound to my knowledge I’ll probably leave it as is to save the hassle.

Unless, in your experience, having them symmetrical made a difference on your K553

By the way, are the pads on these easy to replace? They seem to be installed rather tightly, but someone posted a picture of them on here with different pads so it is possible.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #345 of 1,294

Interesting detail... the K-371 and the K-371-BT are not using the same cables/connector...

Both have too shallow pads unfortunately. Does anyone know about any deeper replacement pads easily available Within EU?
Does K371-BT also works as passive wired without any BT circuits in the path? Or in other words, does it function as regular K371 that is wired and also BT wireless?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back