AKG K361/K371
May 11, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #271 of 1,294
I appreciate the feedback, but I did send them on. Between the discomfort, the cord rubbing, and the annoying adjustment I couldn't justify keeping them.

It seems like the driver smushing my ear was the main annoyance. The plushness of the pads meant that most of the force was going on the back of my ear. Maybe the stretching would have mitigated that enough to make them comfortable.

May 12, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #272 of 1,294
Bought the AKG K371 BT. They will be returned. The picture angle makes it look like the pads are deeper. They are not. They still press on my ears and my ears, though they are tall top to bottom, proportional to my height, they don't protrude. In fact they are a bit flatter against my head possibly, than average. This is a problem. Their close distance to the ears and driver could be part of why the soundstage is still horrible. Thicker pads, and a back facing angle like many have now could do wonders for the imaging. Sound is very similar in BT to wired, just a bit less detail and sub bass level, but well executed. Comparing them to the SRH1540, DT-770 80 OHM, Drop HD58X, and nope. All have such better soundstage and imaging and are not as claustrophobic sounding. Comparisons really show how badly the AKG K371 BT (and non BT) image.

Senn 500 / 600 cans are not known for space, but is there is incredibly layering vs. the flat and bland sound of those AKG K371BT. Pad swapping helps a bit, but still not enough to justify keeping them. Doing a side by side comparison with my Sony 1000XM2 finalized it for me. The Sony does extend farther to reach my ears. I have Dekoni replacement pads so the pads are deeper and far more comfortable. There is actually a bit more higher end detail and clarity, despite the Sony reputation for being warm. The mid bass is a bit more elevated and occasionally noticeable, but the sub bass on both are quite similar, with the Sony winning by a little bit (stronger and less "one note"). The lighter weight and great NR wins for the Sony. The only thing they lack the 10 extra hours of battery life on the AKG K371 BT. There sill may be hope for a future upgrade.
I got a pair of K371's last week.

I absolutely love how they sound. I'm coming from a place of cheaper headphones/ear buds so the upgrade was quite significant. The first night I had them I wore them for hours and then at least a couple hours again at work the next day. Then my head started to absolutely kill. Something about the fit seems to really bother me just underneath and behind my ears. It didn't bother me much when I was wearing them but afterwards it gave me quite a headache. The cans are pretty shallow and the pads are very squishy so the driver is pushing right on my outer ear. I have never had any problem with wearing any gaming headsets for what has to be thousands of hours. The nicest/most expensive of these has been the HyperX Cloud Alpha (very comfy) and most of them have been <$50 and not caused me any issue.

Additionally, the cords feel particularly cheap and the way it sticks straight out the bottom of the can it is constantly rubbing on my shirt collar which transfers that rubbing sound straight into my ear.

I'm pretty disappointed since I love the way they sound, but I will be returning these. The (up to 40%) restocking fee at Sole Source AV Supply through Amazon has me pretty burnt as well. I still have all of the items, the box, and most of the original packaging so hopefully they go more towards 10% than 40%.

I think I might just go with cheap IEMs for work and get the HD6XX for home which hopefully don't bother me the same way.

Thank you! Messages like these really help me in choosing headphones!

I've never been much of a headphone guy (my speakers have always been better and I've prefered listening to them :)), but ever since I started moving a lot, I've started using headphones more. I soon realized that anything going in my ears is impossible: a couple of hours of wear will result in weird, uncomfortable pressure in my ears for about a week. On ear are also not an option: the only headphones I had were the 1st gen B&W P5, which I bought as an accessory to my speakers, basically. Listening to any longer than 40 min. would have them start hurting my ears.

My only option would be over ear, then. And closed cans, since I live with other people (don't want to hear them or bother them with my music).

So a couple of weeks ago I bought the B&W PX7, since my B&W speakers have served me well and they look good, but something in the sound was off. The bass was hurting my ears and nothing sounded natural, so I returned them for a pair of Dali io-4s. These sounded amazing in comparison: clear, natural, tight, consistent. And the bass was controlled. Many here describe them as "neutral" sounding (whatever that's supposed to mean - not too much bass, maybe?). I would love to keep these, but the headband is too narrow, and cuts like a knife into my scalp; I have to keep adjusting them after 10-20 minutes, which really distracts from the music. If I adjust them enough for the headband to be more or less bearable, the earpads touch my ears, and they start really hurting.

At this point I realize that comfort has to be my main priority. Good sound is absolutely moot, if I can't stand the device that plays it. In the end I'll just never wear my headphones and enjoy my music. (I guess I'll never make my wallet cry with buying an expensive set of planars, then :))

After reading a lot (!) it seemed like the DT770 were the most comfortable of all the options. So I ordered them (should arrive today). Reading some more I got worried about their amount of bass, which might be too much for me, so I started looking some more and found these, thanks to videos by metal, wheezy reviews and Alex Rowe (who also has an article comparing them to the DT770). But the build quality issues and comments such as yours made me decide against it - I hate returning stuff and don't want to be involved in it any more than I already, unfortunately, am (my friends think I'm utterly insane ("just buy something and be happy with it")). I also love a great soundstage (the B&W PX7 were really good at this, if nothing else).

Some suggestions pointed me to the ATH MSR7b (truly horrible name), which I also ordered. They seem to be very similar to the AKG 371, but with a wider soundstage and with more comfort (which is paramount), as far as I understand. If the DT770's are too bassy and the MSR7b's are comfortable enough, I'll likely keep them as my final pair. They'll be shipped in a week, though. During which I'll be testing the DT770's.

All of this because of overly sensitive ears... To be honest, I would just be happy with either the earbuds that came with my phone or my P5's until I got my speakers back if it weren't for the hurt...

It'll all be worth it in the end, though, provided I do manage to find something well-isolating, comfortable and good sounding :)

May 12, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #273 of 1,294

I've never been much of a headphone guy (my speakers have always been better and I've prefered listening to them :)), but ever since I started moving a lot, I've started using headphones more. I soon realized that anything going in my ears is impossible: a couple of hours of wear will result in weird, uncomfortable pressure in my ears for about a week. On ear are also not an option: the only headphones I had were the 1st gen B&W P5, which I bought as an accessory to my speakers, basically. Listening to any longer than 40 min. would have them start hurting my ears.

My only option would be over ear, then. And closed cans, since I live with other people (don't want to hear them or bother them with my music).

So a couple of weeks ago I bought the B&W PX7, since my B&W speakers have served me well and they look good, but something in the sound was off. The bass was hurting my ears and nothing sounded natural, so I returned them for a pair of Dali io-4s. These sounded amazing in comparison: clear, natural, tight, consistent. And the bass was controlled. Many here describe them as "neutral" sounding (whatever that's supposed to mean - not too much bass, maybe?). I would love to keep these, but the headband is too narrow, and cuts like a knife into my scalp; I have to keep adjusting them after 10-20 minutes, which really distracts from the music. If I adjust them enough for the headband to be more or less bearable, the earpads touch my ears, and they start really hurting.

At this point I realize that comfort has to be my main priority. Good sound is absolutely moot, if I can't stand the device that plays it. In the end I'll just never wear my headphones and enjoy my music. (I guess I'll never make my wallet cry with buying an expensive set of planars, then :))

After reading a lot (!) it seemed like the DT770 were the most comfortable of all the options. So I ordered them (should arrive today). Reading some more I got worried about their amount of bass, which might be too much for me, so I started looking some more and found these, thanks to videos by metal, wheezy reviews and Alex Rowe (who also has an article comparing them to the DT770). But the build quality issues and comments such as yours made me decide against it - I hate returning stuff and don't want to be involved in it any more than I already, unfortunately, am (my friends think I'm utterly insane ("just buy something and be happy with it")). I also love a great soundstage (the B&W PX7 were really good at this, if nothing else).

Some suggestions pointed me to the ATH MSR7b (truly horrible name), which I also ordered. They seem to be very similar to the AKG 371, but with a wider soundstage and with more comfort (which is paramount), as far as I understand. If the DT770's are too bassy and the MSR7b's are comfortable enough, I'll likely keep them as my final pair. They'll be shipped in a week, though. During which I'll be testing the DT770's.

All of this because of overly sensitive ears... To be honest, I would just be happy with either the earbuds that came with my phone or my P5's until I got my speakers back if it weren't for the hurt...

It'll all be worth it in the end, though, provided I do manage to find something well-isolating, comfortable and good sounding :)
The MSR7 are lean and precise, words that do not come to mind when hearing the K371. Apples & Oranges.

May 12, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #274 of 1,294
My K371-BT arrived just today... a few observations:
* much heavier than the non-BT version... obviously the added electronics are taking their toll.
* wireless sound is less spacious on first impression, yet the deep reaching bass is still there. Source is an iPhone, my intended use case for this headphone.
* a blue led is blinking while the connection is established, at least its somewhat hidden just aside from the on/off switch. I really dislike blu leds, especially if they are blinking.
* controls are using a very small touch sensitive area on the left ear cup (the round logo plate). I very much prefer buttons.
* The pads are just like with the cable version, i.e. should be deeper. Yet its quite comfortable, the added weight is not a problem to me.

Given the price point and my use case, this is more than adequate. I have yet to check with cable, but expect the sound to be just like the cable-only version.

May 12, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #275 of 1,294
My K371-BT arrived just today... a few observations:
* much heavier than the non-BT version... obviously the added electronics are taking their toll.
* wireless sound is less spacious on first impression, yet the deep reaching bass is still there. Source is an iPhone, my intended use case for this headphone.
* a blue led is blinking while the connection is established, at least its somewhat hidden just aside from the on/off switch. I really dislike blu leds, especially if they are blinking.
* controls are using a very small touch sensitive area on the left ear cup (the round logo plate). I very much prefer buttons.
* The pads are just like with the cable version, i.e. should be deeper. Yet its quite comfortable, the added weight is not a problem to me.

Given the price point and my use case, this is more than adequate. I have yet to check with cable, but expect the sound to be just like the cable-only version.
Curious how well amped it is compared to wired version with a desktop amp? Does it connect LDAC? Battery life? Wireless version would be nice given it's tuning.

This little headphone has a bit of a charm I find. Since it's very dynamic, and upper-mids comes forward a bit, I like using it for older recordings that are a bit sub-due'd in that region. I would think it would work nicely with 60's and 70's recordings, any others that has have a bit of sub-due'd in the upper-mids.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #276 of 1,294
Curious how well amped it is compared to wired version with a desktop amp? Does it connect LDAC? Wireless version would be nice given it's tuning.

They reach much more volume than I'd ever use at 75% volume setting on my phone. Of course that depends on the source material...
I don't have any LDAC-enabled source, but I think I read somewhere they only support SBC and AAC -- I'm unable to find any mention of codecs now though.

My musical preferences for headphones are mostly electronic music (Deep House etc.), and their tuning matches my preferences perfectly. It's just so nice to have deep reaching yet rather clear bass that does not overflow everything else, without being a bass cannon or resorting to one-note vibrations.

May 13, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #278 of 1,294
For those who want more detail, still smooth, with better midrange, and spaciousness, for the same or less than the K371, I recommend the Samson Z55 with NVX Standard (non-angle) ear pads. They have similar sub bass extension, they go down as far but it's much more subdued, so their only weak point is quantity of sub bass below 40-50 hz. Other wise they are superior. They have a bit more clamping force, but these pads help reduce that. Also, you can open them wide on a basketball or box overnight to stretch them out to reduce clamp. With the pad swap, they fit good.

https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Z55-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B01AZBFMNS - - - - - https://nvx.com/xre100s-comfortmax-standard-cushions

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #280 of 1,294

It sounds like you do not like the bass shelf filter commercial headphone manufacturers put in to compete with Beats etc. AKG adds this to their commercial headphones, but not their pro headphones. I suspect you may like the K371. If they are not comfortable, the K550 or K553 (same product, but K553 has a detachable cable). these are often discounted. If you didn't need isolation you should try K701/K702, or Sennheiser HD600/HD650. If you like imaging (there isn't really imaging in headphones, like speakers. It's just a bit of space to the sounds.) go try HD800. The bass is not pronounced, but amazing, and the air at the top means you can pretend there is imaging.

May 14, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #282 of 1,294
It sounds like you do not like the bass shelf filter commercial headphone manufacturers put in to compete with Beats etc. AKG adds this to their commercial headphones, but not their pro headphones. I suspect you may like the K371. If they are not comfortable, the K550 or K553 (same product, but K553 has a detachable cable). these are often discounted. If you didn't need isolation you should try K701/K702, or Sennheiser HD600/HD650. If you like imaging (there isn't really imaging in headphones, like speakers. It's just a bit of space to the sounds.) go try HD800. The bass is not pronounced, but amazing, and the air at the top means you can pretend there is imaging.

Having listened to the DT770's it seems I'm not bass phobic after all. The bass is fantastic in these, but in a natural way that doesn't sound artificial. The one problem I seem to have with their sound is that the mids just... aren't there. In some tracks it sounds like the singers are placed in the next room (sliiight exaggeration) while the instruments are upfront. Sadly, I won't be able to listen any further, since the pads are too small and end up hurting my ears.

Do you happen to know the pad size (the inner heightxwidth) for the K371 or the other cans? From the scant information that I've been able to find the Sennheiser HD 600/650 seem to be big enough.

Going by this list The K702's could be an alternative if their other comfort attributes don't disqualify them.

May 14, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #283 of 1,294
Received them this morning. Great overall sound with no real weaknesses, light, good build quality, comfortable. I just wish the pads were a bit thicker, I don't mind them being a bit over-year but some extra pad thickness would be appreciated. Hopefully some pad options will start to show up soon.

May 15, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #284 of 1,294
I luv listenting to the bass on these. Really enjoying the subs emphasis, especially with hip-hop. Upper-mids are too sharp for my taste, too dynamic and punchy. It's like luv/hate of the sound. If the upper-mids was reduced some, these would be much more enjoyable.

I luve the way the driver rumbles when hits deep.

The subs can contend with TH900 IMO, and it's TH900 isn't even better resolution. Also, K371 is not difficult to drive to get good bass response. I'd even recommend these over the Fostex TH-X00 series. Way better value in terms of pure sound performance. I don't miss my Ebony at all with this type of bass.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #285 of 1,294
I luv listenting to the bass on these. Really enjoying the subs emphasis, especially with hip-hop. Upper-mids are too sharp for my taste, too dynamic and punchy. It's like luv/hate of the sound. If the upper-mids was reduced some, these would be much more enjoyable.

I luve the way the driver rumbles when hits deep.

The subs can contend with TH900 IMO, and it's TH900 isn't even better resolution. Also, K371 is not difficult to drive to get good bass response. I'd even recommend these over the Fostex TH-X00 series. Way better value in terms of pure sound performance. I don't miss my Ebony at all with this type of bass.
I still like my K371 but I just got an EMU Ebony and man it is outstanding. They just sound a lot smoother and refined and detailed, without the upper mid emphasis of the AKG. Haven’t done a bass comparison, the bass on the K371 seems louder, but with a similar amount of impact and clarity. Wish I could take the Ebony to work but I really worry about damaging them. And they’re stunningly pretty. Every time I go in my room I can’t help but glimpse at them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back