AKG K361/K371
May 15, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #286 of 1,294
I still like my K371 but I just got an EMU Ebony and man it is outstanding. They just sound a lot smoother and refined and detailed, without the upper mid emphasis of the AKG. Haven’t done a bass comparison, the bass on the K371 seems louder, but with a similar amount of impact and clarity. Wish I could take the Ebony to work but I really worry about damaging them. And they’re stunningly pretty. Every time I go in my room I can’t help but glimpse at them!
Nice. They are good looking woodies.

I've been paying close attentiom to natural sounds in recordings to see how realistic they sound, and K371 puts out realistic tonalities if recorded live. Good performing drivers in them.

May 16, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #287 of 1,294
Some graphs of the K371 by Brent Butterworth...

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...2205:akg-k371-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

These make the headphone appear a bit more forward in the upper midrange than the Rtings plots, which look essentially flat up to about 1.5 kHz. The plots are quite similar though overall. And both are showing a little leanness in the mid to upper-bass imo. Some folks might like that though.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #288 of 1,294
Some graphs of the K371 by Brent Butterworth...

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...2205:akg-k371-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

These make the headphone appear a bit more forward in the upper midrange than the Rtings plots, which look essentially flat up to about 1.5 kHz. The plots are quite similar though overall. And both are showing a little leanness in the mid to upper-bass imo. Some folks might like that though.
I luv how the subs just gets up there! There's no haziness in the mids caused by the bass. I like how Harman shelves the sub-bass like it does because it doesn't interfere with the upper-frequencies.

I didn't think it was possible to tun bass to shelve the sub-bass like this, but it apparently can be done.

I've been listening to Jazz, and quite enjoy the high-hat response on these. The sounds do stick out well for jazz genre. Quite natural decay response as well. Although I miss the airiness response of open-backs, but this is very good for a closed-back.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #290 of 1,294
Based on this graph by DIY Audio Heaven, it looks like the K371 may be using the same or similar driver as my K553, with some different filtering/damping and other tweaks. Red = K371, and blue-green = K550...

https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/k371-vs-k550.png

From other images in this review, the K371 appears to have a cloth filter covering much of the center of the grille over the driver. Presumably to damp some of the higher frequencies...

https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/driver-front.jpg?w=340&h=443&zoom=2

My K553's don't have that. Though they had a similar looking ring covering some tuning holes farther out on the baffle plate. Which eventually came loose and fell off, after a bit of heavy usage. (Not sayin that'll happen on the K371, as the filter looks a bit different on this HP.)

I am not recommending the K553 over the K371 btw, because, for one thing, it does not have the same response in the treble and upper-midrange as either of the above. But there are other reasons as well. Just pointing out that it looks like the two HPs may be using the same or similar drivers as a starting point. Here is DIY's remark in reference to the above...

looks like the K371 was certainly not the first headphone that had ‘Harman’ frequency response. The K550 already had a very similar, but not exactly, frequency response.

Based on comments in this thread and other reviews, it appears that the K371 is probably a little better tuned than the K553. And probably the better-sounding of the two headphones. My K553's are quite forward in the upper mid-range, for example. And also probably too forward in some spots in the mid-treble as well (though based on the above plots it look like the K371 is no slouch in that area as well).

It's concievable that AKG has made some more tweaks on the MKII version of the K553 though. Nobody likes to do graphs of these headphones though, for some strange reason. Which makes it difficult to compare sound siggies to other HPs. :)

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #291 of 1,294
Yeah, subbass is definitely the selling point of K371, no other headphone in the price range even gets close. If you use K371 with an iFi amp xBass (analog), the subbass quality is especially unreal.
I wish there was more information about the driver and how the headphone was tuned. The most information I can get is that it's 50mm titanium coated driver.

Edit: Speaking of the devil. lol ^

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #292 of 1,294
Based on comments in this thread and other reviews, it appears that the K371 is probably a little better tuned than the K553. And probably the better-sounding of the two headphones. My K553's are quite foward in the upper mid-range, for example. And also probably too forward in some spots in the mid-treble as well (though based on the above plots it look like the K371 is no slouch in that area as well).

It's concievable that AKG has made some more tweaks on the MKII version of the K553 though. Nobody likes to do graphs of these headphones though, for some strange reason. Which makes it difficult to compare sound siggies to other HPs. :)
I could not find a K550 or K553 measurement that looks reliable looking. The measurement rig used must use at minimum either GRAS 43AG or 45CA to be decently reliable looking. I saw this, and this gives information on comparisons between GRAS and MiniDSP Ears.

https://www.soundstagesolo.com/index.php/features/152?comment_id=41

I will not look at any measurements from rigs that do not meet the at least the standards of those models. Based on what I'm seeing K553 doesn't resemble any sort of a Harman response in the upper-frequencies, but I do see presence of sub-bass down low.

Here is an exmple of inaccurate measurement result that has gotten placebo'd into the the reviewer's mind. How can somebody think that the upper-mids went down like shown from his crappy measurement rig? Does he not have ears? We need to be careful what we look at for our analysis.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #293 of 1,294
I wish there was more information about the driver and how the headphone was tuned. The most information I can get is that it's 50mm titanium coated driver.

Edit: Speaking of the devil. lol ^

Ask, and you shall receive. Or recieve, and then you shall ask. :)

Have you decided which you like better between the K371 and AT R70X btw, Silver?

May 16, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #294 of 1,294
Have you decided which you like better between the K371 and AT R70X btw, Silver?
I really can't say one is easily better over the other, but I do prefer the K371 over the R70X due to the practicality of it. The R70X is open, and will require my surroundings to be on the quiet side to get the most out of it, but not with the K371. K371 with it's plush pads, isolates the head from outer-noise quite well. Therefore, I get a good amount of high frequency noise isolation during music listening sessions, which is very useful at times.

I also think that K371 has more detailed souning upper-frequency range and of course that shelved sub-bass, which is quite fun. R70X's strength is of course being open with airy quality to it's sound that K371 cannot provide, but the resolution is lacking and I cannot enjoy vocals with it due to not sounding full enough. I do like it's airy open-back quality and unusually good extension of bass for a dynamic open-back. K371 on the other hand can sound a bit too much in the vocals depending on the track, and I generally find HD650 be at the sweet spot for vocals enjoyment. So, you will get rich details of vocals, but some of the vocals tracks can get a bit tiring after awhile due to this.

For electronics, I prefer R70X greatly as it's very fast. With Jazz, I greatly prefer K371 with it's hard attacks and natural decays. R70X would generally be more enjoyable for modern popular genre due to non-fatigue in the upper-mids, but I'll admit K371 does define sound better and resolves better as well.

With all that considered, K371 would be the one I'd put to use the most.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #295 of 1,294
Here is an exmple of inaccurate measurement result that has gotten placebo'd into the the reviewer's mind. How can somebody think that the upper-mids went down like shown from his crappy measurement rig? Does he not have ears? We need to be careful what we look at for our analysis.

Remember when you actually needed to be able to hear and had to be qualified to review a piece of gear? Like, pre-YouTube and the internet?

May 16, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #296 of 1,294
Remember when you actually needed to be able to hear and had to be qualified to review a piece of gear? Like, pre-YouTube and the internet?
Even if Tyll measured the responses, he'd still tell you what he heard, but who knows how much of that was placebo from measurements. There's a lot of reviewers that do not look at measurements as well. I think it's better not to given a lot of crappy measurements that exists as well as non-standarized equipment like Min-DSP Ears that can steer them from better judgements.

I think if somebody relies on measurements to the point of causing false impressions is most likely somebody that cannot notice what they are hearing all that well.

May 16, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #297 of 1,294
I've finally received my set of K371's (BT specifically) and my opinion is that it deserves all of the praise it is getting, particularly as it relates to its low frequencies. Powerful, full, but still very shapely and defined. Very, very impressive for its price range, as well as how independent they are in terms of drive. My Samsung Galaxy s9+ drives these cans so effortlessly. Still excited to hear it through my Chord MOJO, tho. :)

All that said, I've found points of challenge I need to resolve. Firstly, the mid range is too shouty for my taste. Emphasis somewhere around 1-2k for me (guesstimation). I purchased these specifically with the intention of studio mixing, thanks to their claim to neutral fame for price, and some of the material I'm working on is voice work. Because of that, I need flatter smoother, more natural midrange to mix properly. More on this below.

My second caveat is the seal. I'm 6"3 with a lean athletic build, and I think I'm noticing some of the critical feedback this is getting with fit. Because the cup mechanism is somewhat an attempt to reinvent the wheel, unsuccessfully imo, they are already cumbersome to align properly. That, on top of the stingy ear pad depth and the shape of my jaw line make an inconsistent seal that leaks lows, over emphasizing the other frequencies. Which is truly such a shame ~ to have these tuned and engineered they way they have and to be stifled by something as trivial as an ear cup seal for me... Unfortunate.

That said, my point in stating all of this is to simply provide some additional accounts of what I had read others say before my purchase, as well as inquire of some solutions to my seal issue and hopefully a workaround with the inflated mid range.

I don't want to have to eq that bump out, preferably, and I'm curious bottom line if anyone has really experimented with many pad options. I've read through all 20 pages here that many people have explored one or two options with no undisputed upgrade, but since some time had passed, I was just curious if anyone else had some further discoveries or suggestions... Improved sound stage is always welcomed as well :wink:

Loving this discussion btw!

May 16, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #298 of 1,294
I've finally received my set of K371's (BT specifically) and my opinion is that it deserves all of the praise it is getting, particularly as it relates to its low frequencies. Powerful, full, but still very shapely and defined. Very, very impressive for its price range, as well as how independent they are in terms of drive. My Samsung Galaxy s9+ drives these cans so effortlessly. Still excited to hear it through my Chord MOJO, tho. :)

All that said, I've found points of challenge I need to resolve. Firstly, the mid range is too shouty for my taste. Emphasis somewhere around 1-2k for me (guesstimation). I purchased these specifically with the intention of studio mixing, thanks to their claim to neutral fame for price, and some of the material I'm working on is voice work. Because of that, I need flatter smoother, more natural midrange to mix properly. More on this below.

My second caveat is the seal. I'm 6"3 with a lean athletic build, and I think I'm noticing some of the critical feedback this is getting with fit. Because the cup mechanism is somewhat an attempt to reinvent the wheel, unsuccessfully imo, they are already cumbersome to align properly. That, on top of the stingy ear pad depth and the shape of my jaw line make an inconsistent seal that leaks lows, over emphasizing the other frequencies. Which is truly such a shame ~ to have these tuned and engineered they way they have and to be stifled by something as trivial as an ear cup seal for me... Unfortunate.

That said, my point in stating all of this is to simply provide some additional accounts of what I had read others say before my purchase, as well as inquire of some solutions to my seal issue and hopefully a workaround with the inflated mid range.

I don't want to have to eq that bump out, preferably, and I'm curious bottom line if anyone has really experimented with many pad options. I've read through all 20 pages here that many people have explored one or two options with no undisputed upgrade, but since some time had passed, I was just curious if anyone else had some further discoveries or suggestions... Improved sound stage is always welcomed as well :wink:

Loving this discussion btw!
Once I got used to these the soundstage didn’t appear as narrow as I felt initially. It’s really in the same ballpark as the HD600 series so I would say it’s passable.

I felt after the clamp reduced the upper midrange calmed down a bit but it’s still rather forward and shouty. It’s not a problem for me most of the time but there are some instances due to the music I’m listening to where it can be a bit bothersome.

May 17, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #299 of 1,294
I decided that K371 is too much to listen to wide varieties of genre, and reallly skews my perception of upper-mids of other headphones. When a headphone skews my perception in this way usually means the headphone is expressing in an overboard manner. If the upper-mids were to be decreased I can enjoy it a bit more as I find the bass really well done, although I can decently enjoy Jazz with such tunign, I feel that the upper-mids is too strong for my taste. All in all, I will say technicalities are really great, but I don't feel comfortable listening to headphones with such level of upper-mids. This kind of tuning can't be good for my hearing.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #300 of 1,294
I decided that K371 is too much to listen to wide varieties of genre, and reallly skews my perception of upper-mids of other headphones. When a headphone skews my perception in this way usually means the headphone is expressing in an overboard manner. If the upper-mids were to be decreased I can enjoy it a bit more as I find the bass really well done, although I can decently enjoy Jazz with such tunign, I feel that the upper-mids is too strong for my taste. All in all, I will say technicalities are really great, but I don't feel comfortable listening to headphones with such level of upper-mids. This kind of tuning can't be good for my hearing.
I’ve realized by this point that just about every headphone (especially closed back) has some flaws, but the K371 has probably among the least out of the closed backs I’ve tried which is pretty amazing considering the price. The only one that does better is the EMU Ebony for me but some don’t consider that a closed headphone. But I am with you in that the one issue, for me, is the upper midrange being a bit too hot, on some music at least. Surely mastering comes into play because I’ve only found a few instances where it somewhat bothered me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back