AKG K361/K371
May 6, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #256 of 1,294
There must be something wrong with this rig. There should be significant 3k presense with these like the HD600s.

Why? You have issues with it?
Nothing wrong with it, per se. Just not enamored with what I hear. A bit too honky|shouty in upper mids, not enough air and sparkle at the top. Competent enough but I am now more into IEMs and to put it simply, I prefer the intimacy and tonality that I get it of my IEMs, even pairs that cost a fraction of these. Plus I am on a downsizing trend. Several factors really.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #257 of 1,294
A bit too honky|shouty in upper mids, not enough air and sparkle at the top.

Probably shouldn't comment on this until I've actually heard a pair for myself. But the upper mid thing seems to be an issue on some AKGs, like my K553. I don't see a whole lot goin on in that region on the K371 plots though. Nothing that would rival my K553's anyway...

K371 RAW LEFT: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1671/4011
K371 RAW RIGHT: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1671/4012
K371 COMPENSATED L & R: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1671/3992

There are a couple small bumps in the upper midrange and low treble. The right channel in particular has a fairly well-defined peak at 3 kHz. And then a fairly precipitous drop from there into 5-6 kHz range.

I can see how these could be interpreted as somewhat shouty or mid-forward though, especially to someone who is used to IEMs, which can often be much more swollen in the bass. These are a little flat-looking overall from the mid-bass to the upper midrange. The signature is frankly not that different than alot of higher-end HPs and planar-magnetics I've looked at, which often tend to be rather flat through that whole region.

I'm also particular sensitive to sound in the 1 kHz to 2.5 kHz region though, for some reason. Maybe from listening to so many bad AM radios over the years. So sometimes even a small amount of stridency in that region can be an issue for me. And I don't necessarily mind a little bleed from the bass into the lower mids as well, as long as it's smooth and controlled. I would probably prefer that to a leaner mid to upper bass, as long as it's not too overdone.

The raw frequency plots above are only showing about a 5-6 dB rise from the midrange to the bump in the lower bass on the left channel. It's more like 8 dBs on the right channel though. An IEM would generally rise much quicker from the midrange into the bass, and could easily have triple or quadruple the amplitude in the mid-bass range as these HPs do.

If the pads aren't sealing well, that could also potentially reduce the response in the bass, making the HPs seem more mid-forward as well.

The treble response is also a little uneven on the K371. There is a fairly pronounced peak at 8-9 kHz, and the areas around that peak are maybe a bit too depressed. A headphone that's well-balanced in the treble will often (though not always) have a bit more of a peak somewhere in the middle of the upper treble at around 15-16 kHz range. These have a small peak at around 13 kHz, and are more depressed in the 15-18 kHz range. So they could be lacking a little air near the upper-most levels of the hearing range.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #259 of 1,294
Imaging and bass impact does improve with a particular tube amp I have. It's interesting how certain tube amps causes more dimentionality or depth to the sound (it could actually be the different DAC), and opens of the stage perception.

Upper-mids does seem to be a bit elevated, but not that bad, but slight reduction would be a better comfort level. I need to try out some tracks to test out the high-hats. Bass does impact if the amp pushes it. Probably tube amp friendly. It's only 32 ohms so make sure the tube amp has low output impedance (or setting).

With the amp that hit bass impact well, the bass hits deep on this track!

That's been one of my goto track for several months going for testing bass! :L3000:

May 7, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #261 of 1,294
So right now I find the Koss Pro DJ200 (or Tony Bennet version) and KRK KNS-8400 to be far better headphones.

I was interested in getting the KRK's 8400 for mixing and personal use this week, but I wasn't satisfied with it's general aesthetic and functionality outside of mixing. That hunt led me to the newest release of AKG's K371, and now the Bluetooth variant K371BT newly available *this week*. That's a happy coincidence that has me excited, and I owe it to a commenter on r/headphones for the suggestion. All that said, I am very curious what the impressions are between a user of both, and you are the only person I've found on the web so far who has discussed both cans side by side.

Could you (and anyone else for that matter) elaborate on your experience with it's frequency response and general observations in *comparison of the two?

*Edit to clarify direct comparison

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #262 of 1,294
Bought the AKG K371 BT. They will be returned. The picture angle makes it look like the pads are deeper. They are not. They still press on my ears and my ears, though they are tall top to bottom, proportional to my height, they don't protrude. In fact they are a bit flatter against my head possibly, than average. This is a problem. Their close distance to the ears and driver could be part of why the soundstage is still horrible. Thicker pads, and a back facing angle like many have now could do wonders for the imaging. Sound is very similar in BT to wired, just a bit less detail and sub bass level, but well executed. Comparing them to the SRH1540, DT-770 80 OHM, Drop HD58X, and nope. All have such better soundstage and imaging and are not as claustrophobic sounding. Comparisons really show how badly the AKG K371 BT (and non BT) image.

Senn 500 / 600 cans are not known for space, but is there is incredibly layering vs. the flat and bland sound of those AKG K371BT. Pad swapping helps a bit, but still not enough to justify keeping them. Doing a side by side comparison with my Sony 1000XM2 finalized it for me. The Sony does extend farther to reach my ears. I have Dekoni replacement pads so the pads are deeper and far more comfortable. There is actually a bit more higher end detail and clarity, despite the Sony reputation for being warm. The mid bass is a bit more elevated and occasionally noticeable, but the sub bass on both are quite similar, with the Sony winning by a little bit (stronger and less "one note"). The lighter weight and great NR wins for the Sony. The only thing they lack the 10 extra hours of battery life on the AKG K371 BT. There sill may be hope for a future upgrade.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #263 of 1,294
Now I know what these sound like. These sound like a closed-back Grado with bass. I find there's too much upper-mids likely comparable to HD600 or even more. It gets too punchy IMO.

I took it out for a walk, and the left cable connector gets in the way of my coat, and I realized why I prefer iems when I'm walking around. I can't put my hoodie over my head with full-sized headphones and freeze my head off. I also do not like the way they sound when driven portably. You lose that bass, the impact and the subs with a portable device.

I wouldn't be surprised if the drivers inside were same as the ones inside CA Cascade. Technicalities are in the same level with I find the bass on K371 cleaner and clearer headphone overall. With a desktop amp, the bass can definitely slam. CA, $$$$$$, AKG, $ - Yall's choice

So, I'd down-tune the upper-mids slightly with these.

K371
k371-raw-frequency-response-l-14-graph-small.jpg

SR325
sr325e-raw-frequency-response-l-graph-small.jpg

HD600
hd-600-raw-frequency-response-l-14-graph-small.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #264 of 1,294
Comparing them to the SRH1540, DT-770 80 OHM, Drop HD58X, and nope. All have such better soundstage and imaging and are not as claustrophobic sounding. Comparisons really show how badly the AKG K371 BT (and non BT) image.
It’s no surprise the DT 770 beats this in soundstage, it has one of the best sound stages I’ve heard in any headphone period so it’s hard to beat in that aspect, but it’s not nearly as balanced sounding and too bright (for me). The 1540 I’ve never heard but it’s 3 times the price so I would hope it’s better in soundstage. And for the HD58X and HD6XX, it’s intimate amongst other open backs but will still probably sound a little more open than most closed backs. But strangely when I compare the HD6XX and K371 in width, they’re pretty even. Naturally the HD6XX will have more openness and probably does image better.

I’m saying this as someone who also thought the K371 sounded congested at first. Again, I think clamp force could be a factor. But compared to everything else I’ve heard so far, it’s not too far off the mark when actually trying to A/B. Still need to keep in mind that this is a closed back that costs only $150, and as good as it is don’t expect it to beat more expensive headphones and open backs in things like detail and stage. I find it to be adequate in both areas all things considered.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #265 of 1,294
It’s no surprise the DT 770 beats this in soundstage, it has one of the best sound stages I’ve heard in any headphone period so it’s hard to beat in that aspect, but it’s not nearly as balanced sounding and too bright (for me). The 1540 I’ve never heard but it’s 3 times the price so I would hope it’s better in soundstage. And for the HD58X and HD6XX, it’s intimate amongst other open backs but will still probably sound a little more open than most closed backs. But strangely when I compare the HD6XX and K371 in width, they’re pretty even. But naturally the HD6XX will have more openness and probably does image better.

I’m saying this as someone who also thought the K371 sounded congested at first. Again, I think clamp force could be a factor. But compared to everything else I’ve heard so far, it’s not too far off the mark when actually trying to A/B. Still need to keep in mind that this is still a closed back that costs only $150, and as good as it is don’t expect it to beat more expensive headphones and open backs in things like detail and stage. I find it to be adequate in both areas all things considered.
No doubt 6XX images better and it more open with bigger stage. With closed -backs pad room area size have to do with sound stage, and K371 is small, but enhances bass quantity. DT770 isn't all that bad, the difference is K371 has emphasis in the upper-mids vs DT770 in the mid treble. The DT770 wasn't as bad as represented in the graphs, I believe I may have had one that have fuller upper-mids one time, and really enjoyed that one.

DT770
dt-770-pro-raw-frequency-response-r-14-graph-small.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #266 of 1,294
No doubt 6XX images better and it more open with bigger stage. With closed -backs cup size have to do with sound stage, and K371 is small. DT770 isn't all that bad, the difference is K371 has emphasis in the upper-mids vs DT770 in the mid treble. The DT770 wasn't as bad as represented in the graphs, I believe I may have had one that have fuller upper-mids one time, and really enjoyed that one.
Yeah that headphone has gone through a lot of stealth revisions over the years. The three different ohm variants sound slightly different from one another, and the addition of an amp probably changes things as well.

I had the 32 ohm version and used it on a phone so maybe that was why I didn’t like it but I’ve read a lot of others say it’s rather treble happy no matter what version so I probably wouldn’t like any variation of that headphone regardless.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #267 of 1,294
Yeah that headphone has gone through a lot of stealth revisions over the years. The three different ohm variants sound slightly different from one another, and the addition of an amp probably changes things as well.

I had the 32 ohm version and used it on a phone so maybe that was why I didn’t like it but I’ve read a lot of others say it’s rather treble happy no matter what version so I probably wouldn’t like any variation of that headphone.
The 250 ohm has been around for a long time, and I'm sure it has gone through some production changes as production lines in factories change over time. I would recommend the 250 ohm version on a decent amping other than phone that has decently strong output. I tried BH Crack tube, but didn't like the result, and preferred solid-state.

I was looking for 600 ohm version, but they stopped production unfortunately.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #268 of 1,294
I got a pair of K371's last week.

I absolutely love how they sound. I'm coming from a place of cheaper headphones/ear buds so the upgrade was quite significant. The first night I had them I wore them for hours and then at least a couple hours again at work the next day. Then my head started to absolutely kill. Something about the fit seems to really bother me just underneath and behind my ears. It didn't bother me much when I was wearing them but afterwards it gave me quite a headache. The cans are pretty shallow and the pads are very squishy so the driver is pushing right on my outer ear. I have never had any problem with wearing any gaming headsets for what has to be thousands of hours. The nicest/most expensive of these has been the HyperX Cloud Alpha (very comfy) and most of them have been <$50 and not caused me any issue.

Additionally, the cords feel particularly cheap and the way it sticks straight out the bottom of the can it is constantly rubbing on my shirt collar which transfers that rubbing sound straight into my ear.

I'm pretty disappointed since I love the way they sound, but I will be returning these. The (up to 40%) restocking fee at Sole Source AV Supply through Amazon has me pretty burnt as well. I still have all of the items, the box, and most of the original packaging so hopefully they go more towards 10% than 40%.

I think I might just go with cheap IEMs for work and get the HD6XX for home which hopefully don't bother me the same way.

May 11, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #269 of 1,294
I got a pair of K371's last week.

I absolutely love how they sound. I'm coming from a place of cheaper headphones/ear buds so the upgrade was quite significant. The first night I had them I wore them for hours and then at least a couple hours again at work the next day. Then my head started to absolutely kill. Something about the fit seems to really bother me just underneath and behind my ears. It didn't bother me much when I was wearing them but afterwards it gave me quite a headache. The cans are pretty shallow and the pads are very squishy so the driver is pushing right on my outer ear. I have never had any problem with wearing any gaming headsets for what has to be thousands of hours. The nicest/most expensive of these has been the HyperX Cloud Alpha (very comfy) and most of them have been <$50 and not caused me any issue.

Additionally, the cords feel particularly cheap and the way it sticks straight out the bottom of the can it is constantly rubbing on my shirt collar which transfers that rubbing sound straight into my ear.

I'm pretty disappointed since I love the way they sound, but I will be returning these. The (up to 40%) restocking fee at Sole Source AV Supply through Amazon has me pretty burnt as well. I still have all of the items, the box, and most of the original packaging so hopefully they go more towards 10% than 40%.

I think I might just go with cheap IEMs for work and get the HD6XX for home which hopefully don't bother me the same way.
As other users have said, they have a pretty strong clamp out of the box. Why don’t you just stretch them out over a box similar to the size of your head overnight? That should loosen the clamp so that pressure is relieved.

May 11, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #270 of 1,294
As other users have said, they have a pretty strong clamp out of the box. Why don’t you just stretch them out over a box similar to the size of your head overnight? That should loosen the clamp so that pressure is relieved.
As an experiencer of Sennheiser 600/650/6XX, I didn't think the clamping was as much as brand new set of Sennys. Pads were kinda plush cause less pressure than the Senny's stiff velour pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back