AKG K361/K371
May 29, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #1,246 of 1,294
I posted something similar but with time it's more clear what I'm searching, I need closed back headphones as alternative to the Open Backs (in my signature) when there's noise at home and also to play my keyboard. I'm used now to the good sound quality of the ones I'm used to listen so I'm trying to find something that sound good enough and possibly with a different sound signature (much more bass). I've read about a few and I'm considering them but I'm really open to any good new advice. AKG 371 or BD dt770 pro 80 ohm?

May 30, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #1,247 of 1,294
I posted something similar but with time it's more clear what I'm searching, I need closed back headphones as alternative to the Open Backs (in my signature) when there's noise at home and also to play my keyboard. I'm used now to the good sound quality of the ones I'm used to listen so I'm trying to find something that sound good enough and possibly with a different sound signature (much more bass). I've read about a few and I'm considering them but I'm really open to any good new advice. AKG 371 or BD dt770 pro 80 ohm?
DT 770 has a better more robust build and has more note weight but the AKG 371 soiunds much more natural
If all you want is more bass then just get some cheap consumer headphone tbh as teh 2 you mention are designed for professional use

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #1,248 of 1,294
The audio technica m40x has more bass in general than either the akgk371 and Beyer dt 770.
Two caveats : one if you have med. large to large ears they won't cover your ears entirely and they have a strong clamping force. Two they have a small closed in sound stage.
I like them when I'm in party mood and want that extra bass,.

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #1,249 of 1,294
The audio technica m40x has more bass in general than either the akgk371 and Beyer dt 770.
Two caveats : one if you have med. large to large ears they won't cover your ears entirely and they have a strong clamping force. Two they have a small closed in sound stage.
I like them when I'm in party mood and want that extra bass,.

My m40x were my first set of "nice" headphones and I've have them for quite a while. Recently got more into head-fi, have tested a ton of sets and sent most back, but I'll always keep the m40's around (no worries traveling with an ~8 year old set that have gotten their share of use) as they just sound good to me. As a matter of fact, I just put a cover on the headband (no more black dandruff), replaced the ear pads with some Brainwavz Ovals and got a 1.2m cord for them to freshen 'em up.

Coming to you listening to my Meze 99s, waiting for my Kennerton M12s (2020 version (50mm driver)) to get here from Audio46.

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #1,250 of 1,294
My m40x were my first set of "nice" headphones and I've have them for quite a while. Recently got more into head-fi, have tested a ton of sets and sent most back, but I'll always keep the m40's around (no worries traveling with an ~8 year old set that have gotten their share of use) as they just sound good to me. As a matter of fact, I just put a cover on the headband (no more black dandruff), replaced the ear pads with some Brainwavz Ovals and got a 1.2m cord for them to freshen 'em up.

Coming to you listening to my Meze 99s, waiting for my Kennerton M12s (2020 version (50mm driver)) to get here from Audio46.
Same here, I've owned my m40x since Jan. 2015, 8+ years. Since then I've bought and still own a number of closed back and open back headphones.
I replaced the earpads with a pair of Yaxi pads, same size but much more comfortable than stock pads.
The bottom of the headband is completely worn, but I still listen to them and enjoy them when I'm in the mood.

Just curious are the meze 99 bassier, less bassy or pretty much the same?

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #1,251 of 1,294
Same here, I've owned my m40x since Jan. 2015, 8+ years. Since then I've bought and still own a number of closed back and open back headphones.
I replaced the earpads with a pair of Yaxi pads, same size but much more comfortable than stock pads.
The bottom of the headband is completely worn, but I still listen to them and enjoy them when I'm in the mood.

Just curious are the meze 99 bassier, less bassy or pretty much the same?

They are a bit bassier and darker over all, but not by much honestly. I got the Drop version so they were only $199 and I would say they are worth that comparing them to the m40's, but I would most likely not have kept them had they cost any more. I'm looking forward to the Kennertons to arrive.

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #1,252 of 1,294
They are a bit bassier and darker over all, but not by much honestly. I got the Drop version so they were only $199 and I would say they are worth that comparing them to the m40's, but I would most likely not have kept them had they cost any more. I'm looking forward to the Kennertons to arrive.
Thanks for the comparison.
Would also like to hear comparison of Kennertons to m40x.

Jun 3, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #1,253 of 1,294
I really loved my AKG K371s but I have only had them for a few months and the right channel does not have any audio output all of the sudden. I bought these knowing they had some QC issues and were fragile but I really did baby them. I loved the way they sounded too. Hopefully I am able to get them repaired.

Update: It ended up being the wire being loose. They were unable to repair it because they did not have the part but sent me a new pair instead. I am happy to have these again. Time to listen to some tunes.

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #1,254 of 1,294
What's some alternative pads that stays as close as possible to the stock sound? Grabbed a pair but the stock pads are really uncomfortable for me.

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #1,255 of 1,294
What's some alternative pads that stays as close as possible to the stock sound? Grabbed a pair but the stock pads are really uncomfortable for me.

So you decided for the AKG's then. How exactly are the pads uncomfortable? Too much clamp, ears touch the sides or the drivers?
I remember there was a Thread/Guide about dekoni pad alternatives for the K371/K361.
Not sure it it's affiliated or not (havent read through it, but it most probably is). I personally have no issues with the comfort/pads on my K371 (mainly using them as a worry-free outdoor closed-back), then again i don't use 'em for prolonged time at once.

edit: also check this one if you are into modding (taking matters into own hands): https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/m6vwgc/akg_k371_teardown/
-> the stock pads are easily modifiable as well it seems.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #1,256 of 1,294
Brainwavez micro fiber / hard velour works great for me, if anything improving the sound, making it a bit more 'natural'

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #1,257 of 1,294
So you decided for the AKG's then. How exactly are the pads uncomfortable? Too much clamp, ears touch the sides or the drivers?
I remember there was a Thread/Guide about dekoni pad alternatives for the K371/K361.
Not sure it it's affiliated or not (havent read through it, but it most probably is). I personally have no issues with the comfort/pads on my K371 (mainly using them as a worry-free outdoor closed-back), then again i don't use 'em for prolonged time at once.

edit: also check this one if you are into modding (taking matters into own hands): https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/m6vwgc/akg_k371_teardown/
-> the stock pads are easily modifiable as well it seems.
Well, I was unsure until I saw it brand new for breadcrumbs at a local pawnshop ahah. My ears touches the driver and it's quite uncomfortable using glasses.

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #1,258 of 1,294
Well, I was unsure until I saw it brand new for breadcrumbs at a local pawnshop ahah. My ears touches the driver and it's quite uncomfortable using glasses.
Hm, now that you said it I notice that my ears also touch the drivers ever so slightly. But, in my experience, unless it is really annoying or you focus on it, your brain will forget about it after some wearing time..
Anyways, if it still bothers you, you could try to pull the pleather off from the pads, like in the disassembly guide from oratory. And then stuff some more material inside so that the pads become thick enough for your ears to fit in. You only need to do this at the upper-rear part as that’s where ears (helix) stick out the most.

Aug 22, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #1,260 of 1,294
Does anyone know where I can find original pads for k371? I don't want to buy anything from Dekoni as they seem to change FR too much.
The Dekoni “Choice Suede” don’t change the frequency hardly at all. I have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back