AKG K361/K371
Feb 15, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #1,231 of 1,294
Oh really. They dont score well in Rtings measurements. Akg K371 scores much better.

Maybe measurements are not trust worthy and some things like resolution can't be measured. Best to go by ear in the end. But i do think they nail it good in there sound conclusion about akg k371. So cant be total wrong.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...focal-elegia/1671/726?usage=19&threshold=0.10
I was saying my "fav" in a subjective way of course. I totally know about the objective measurements. The beauty of all this is that there are so many options to fit personal preferences. The longer I live, the more I know there is no way to stereotype tastes. I will always maintain that the K371 are well made sonically. I am an AKG nut and probably own more cans from them than any other company, (I own 100s of headphones.) For me, my ears just get too sensitive and begin to actually hurt from the subbass pressure after about 1 hour with the K371 on. So they sound wonderful, but the experience becomes uncomfortable for me. I am sure not everyone has this issue, yet I know I am not alone, so I generally explain the reasons for my preferences so others who have similar situations or preferences can know what other options there are. The K371 is likely what you would want to use for more exact listening in the pro situation too, although, as a professional, there are actually probrably more precise choices too, but the price and the all around nature of the K371 makes it a good choice and rec for many. The Elegia is surely are "pleasure" headphone, for the times I want to chill and be able to wear headphones for hours. And the soundstage definitely has the K371 beat. But K371 are extremely good. If I want a similar portable closed based but with greater tolerance on my ears, I'd pick the K361, but acknowedging it is about 90% sonically of the K371. If I want something professional in the same range, but more tolerable (and better for professional situations actually), I'd pick the K553 mkII, but that does give up portability (albeit having better confort). If I want hours of enjoyment and chill, I'd pick the Elegia, but as I said, the bass on that isn't going to fulfill for some's bass needs as the K371. If you want a great NR headphone that comes close, albeit somewhat less spacious (but great companion app), get the N700nc mkII. If someone doesn't want to spent much, but get great clear sound, fulfilling bass, good clarity, portability, and use for hours in both pro and casual situations, get the M20x, which is fantastic value for a fraction of the price that it sells for (and reacts wonderfully to pad rolling to upgrade it in shocking ways), even the bt version is great. However, if I want to do better than everything on this list, I would just go to so many Open-Back alternatives, in a heatbeat (and that list would be exhaustive), even in similar situations. In conclusion, K371 is excellent, most of your should get it and will love it. But if other issues that I discuss are something that affects you, I have given some options for people to consider. I really enjoy these discussions and learn a lot always, thanks for sharing!

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #1,232 of 1,294
I was saying my "fav" in a subjective way of course. I totally know about the objective measurements. The beauty of all this is that there are so many options to fit personal preferences. The longer I live, the more I know there is no way to stereotype tastes. I will always maintain that the K371 are well made sonically. I am an AKG nut and probably own more cans from them than any other company, (I own 100s of headphones.) For me, my ears just get too sensitive and begin to actually hurt from the subbass pressure after about 1 hour with the K371 on. So they sound wonderful, but the experience becomes uncomfortable for me. I am sure not everyone has this issue, yet I know I am not alone, so I generally explain the reasons for my preferences so others who have similar situations or preferences can know what other options there are. The K371 is likely what you would want to use for more exact listening in the pro situation too, although, as a professional, there are actually probrably more precise choices too, but the price and the all around nature of the K371 makes it a good choice and rec for many. The Elegia is surely are "pleasure" headphone, for the times I want to chill and be able to wear headphones for hours. And the soundstage definitely has the K371 beat. But K371 are extremely good. If I want a similar portable closed based but with greater tolerance on my ears, I'd pick the K361, but acknowedging it is about 90% sonically of the K371. If I want something professional in the same range, but more tolerable (and better for professional situations actually), I'd pick the K553 mkII, but that does give up portability (albeit having better confort). If I want hours of enjoyment and chill, I'd pick the Elegia, but as I said, the bass on that isn't going to fulfill for some's bass needs as the K371. If you want a great NR headphone that comes close, albeit somewhat less spacious (but great companion app), get the N700nc mkII. If someone doesn't want to spent much, but get great clear sound, fulfilling bass, good clarity, portability, and use for hours in both pro and casual situations, get the M20x, which is fantastic value for a fraction of the price that it sells for (and reacts wonderfully to pad rolling to upgrade it in shocking ways), even the bt version is great. However, if I want to do better than everything on this list, I would just go to so many Open-Back alternatives, in a heatbeat (and that list would be exhaustive), even in similar situations. In conclusion, K371 is excellent, most of your should get it and will love it. But if other issues that I discuss are something that affects you, I have given some options for people to consider. I really enjoy these discussions and learn a lot always, thanks for sharing!
I thought I would also add two cents about Beats that someone mentioned earlier. It is true that most Beats are not great. However, the Solo Pro stand out unusally. They are remarkably balanced and have a fantastic user experience, especially for Apple product users--I've even done professional mixing with them on the go, and it is quite suitable. The bass is well controlled, yet satisfying on them. They are ideal for short commuting (like on trains, etc.), but not so much for flights (as the NR is not really set for plane engine noise, and the ear clamp would not be fun on long commutes for many). Their transparency mode is nearly on par to the Aipods series, being they are the predecessor (the solo pro was really Apple's first attempt at an audiophile-like headphone). No soundstage at all though--kinda opposite in fact. If you can get them for good discount (i.e. used/renewed), then for that price, I give a recommendation as well. But since this is a K371 discussion, they are not going to win sonically in a one to one battle certainly by some margin, I just mentioned them if one is considering other factors. That being said, for NR, AKG's N700nc mkII is my preference and normal rec.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #1,233 of 1,294
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,234 of 1,294
Does anyone know how to read this? The higher db amplitude on around 20hz-100hz should mean more pronounced bass? I was thinking i experienced less articulate bass with this pad compared to stock or more bloated.

I was looking for spare pads for my k371 from Dekoni some time ago and I found that graph.
Indeed it's very confusing. Stock tuning on k371 has a lot of bass and according to this FR with Dekoni choice leather pads it has even more "bass" with their pads.
And I mean huge amount - it's like ~15db more. You definitely don't want to boost bass with k371 - not by that amount.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #1,235 of 1,294
If you are looking for more V-shaped sound, certainly. 770s have sweet soundstage, albeit the K371 probably have better mids and perhaps less intense treble. I cannot comment directly on the M50x, as that is one of the few Audio-Technicas I don't have or tried. From what I have read and heard is that M50x are really made for the consumer who want professional quality. (M40x being more analytical.). Both the M50x and 770s are famous for their bass greatness. I happen to like the 770s very much--perhaps better than the K371. I've read that the DT 700x are even greater improvement, albeit a higher price bracket than all these. On a side note, the DT 240 are wonderful for the price and have excellent bass, but lack the soundstage or treble (and not as comfortable) as the 770s.

Feb 16, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #1,236 of 1,294
I was looking for spare pads for my k371 from Dekoni some time ago and I found that graph.
Indeed it's very confusing. Stock tuning on k371 has a lot of bass and according to this FR with Dekoni choice leather pads it has even more "bass" with their pads.
And I mean huge amount - it's like ~15db more. You definitely don't want to boost bass with k371 - not by that amount.
Yea it's hard to believe that that much bass boost would sound good on any headphone.

Feb 17, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,237 of 1,294
I have my suspicion that it sound more bloated or less articulate. Especially in the subb bass. Yeah i agree that with K371 default bass you dont need to change a thing. I never felt it spilled over to other frequencies.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #1,238 of 1,294
Is the Focal Elegia a solid step up from the akg? My options are the Elegia, the Beyer 177x, or the Sony mdr-Z7M2. Priorities are imaging and soundstage. Harman Curve isn't a factor for me.
I have fielded this already for some. To me the Elegia, especially at the new lower price is now my favorite closed-back. However, it is a completely different animal from the K371 and I am guessing from the other two you listed (I have only tried adjacent heaphones to the other two). K371 seems to be designed like an "all-in-one" headphone to please consumers and professionals. Want clarity? we got you covered. Want rocking bass? we got you covered. The K371 also has great portability for an set of overears.

The Elegia is definitely not portable in the way the K371 are, and they are not really for bassheads either. But what they are great for is beautiful listening for hours with great clarity and soundstage. Fantastic unparalleled comfort too. However, it has a unique timbre, and while there definitely is bass there well and clear, it isn't going to burn the house down. To be honest, the amount of subbass on the K371 is just too much for me, that my ears literally hurt after 30 minutes. With the Elegia I can wear them for hours (the size of the earcups, plus the small amount of venting probably helps with that). If you are looking for something like this, then yes, the Elegia is for you (and a great buy now). By your other options though, I am uncertain if you would be happy, because those others I think are a bit of an opposite to the Elegia, at least in terms of bass enhancement (note I haven't tried those two, I only know reviews and tried similar items from those brands.).

Like you, however, I really don't care at all about Harman, even though I am an AKG fanboy oddly enough...although more for their classic and more neutral cans (like the K612 pro.)

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #1,239 of 1,294
New AKG/Harman headphones that are currently getting a lot of hype in audiophile corners. Surprised I haven’t seen a dedicated thread on these yet. Don’t know if this post would be considered that; I’m just wondering if anyone here has had the chance to give these a try and what they think?

Apparently, they are blowing away the completion at their $150 price point, and these are the headphones in that bracket to own. They are a wired, transportable closed back that apparently measures along with the Harman response quite nicely. There’s also a slightly cheaper model available, the K361.

I have yet to hear them but I’m curious to hear what others have to say; are they all they’re cracked up to be? A new giant killer?
I have the K361. They sound more V-shaped but accurate to me when I tried them out at Guitar Center. Ended up going with the K371s though because they sounded more warm and more natural. I think $150 is alright but I got these at $109.99. For $150 they still blow out the M50x out of the water though but I’d suggest looking for deals to make the bang for your buck proposition even greater

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #1,240 of 1,294
I have fielded this already for some. To me the Elegia, especially at the new lower price is now my favorite closed-back. However, it is a completely different animal from the K371 and I am guessing from the other two you listed (I have only tried adjacent heaphones to the other two). K371 seems to be designed like an "all-in-one" headphone to please consumers and professionals. Want clarity? we got you covered. Want rocking bass? we got you covered. The K371 also has great portability for an set of overears.

The Elegia is definitely not portable in the way the K371 are, and they are not really for bassheads either. But what they are great for is beautiful listening for hours with great clarity and soundstage. Fantastic unparalleled comfort too. However, it has a unique timbre, and while there definitely is bass there well and clear, it isn't going to burn the house down. To be honest, the amount of subbass on the K371 is just too much for me, that my ears literally hurt after 30 minutes. With the Elegia I can wear them for hours (the size of the earcups, plus the small amount of venting probably helps with that). If you are looking for something like this, then yes, the Elegia is for you (and a great buy now). By your other options though, I am uncertain if you would be happy, because those others I think are a bit of an opposite to the Elegia, at least in terms of bass enhancement (note I haven't tried those two, I only know reviews and tried similar items from those brands.).

Like you, however, I really don't care at all about Harman, even though I am an AKG fanboy oddly enough...although more for their classic and more neutral cans (like the K612 pro.)
Wow blast from the past, I asked that only a few years ago but it seems like another lifetime ago. I've gone through so many headphones since then. I did end up getting the K371 and still have it as my default computer headphone but for music listening I'm on to other models now. I finally tried the Elegia and while it sounded good it didn't quite nail it for me. I finally settled on the Radiance with dekoni stellia pads. They're the near perfect sound for me with the music I listen too.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,241 of 1,294
After four long years of service, it looks like my K371 has kicked the bucket. The right channel is totally dead with every cable I've tried, though it was working just a few minutes ago through my PS5 controller, so I'm not really sure what did it in exactly. Unless there's an easy way to repair these, I guess I'll be picking up a new pair.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,242 of 1,294
I really loved my AKG K371s but I have only had them for a few months and the right channel does not have any audio output all of the sudden. I bought these knowing they had some QC issues and were fragile but I really did baby them. I loved the way they sounded too. Hopefully I am able to get them repaired.

May 4, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,243 of 1,294
I really loved my AKG K371s but I have only had them for a few months and the right channel does not have any audio output all of the sudden. I bought these knowing they had some QC issues and were fragile but I really did baby them. I loved the way they sounded too. Hopefully I am able to get them repaired.
Mine are still going strong. I got mine November of 2019. So that’s like 3 and a half years.

Should be able to use your warranty and get a replacement.

May 4, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,244 of 1,294
im going to be selling my mint K371 soon + (Upgrade silver plated cable)
Bought brand new and have only used lightly for studio editing
Will be adding soon but feel free to PM me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back