Jul 24, 2022 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bryaudioreviews

100+ Head-Fier

The Ultimate Dekoni Earpad Guide for AKG k361/k371 🎧

The only earpad guide you need

Dekoni k371.jpg

TLDR;​

1. If you want more bass/low-end,
  • Dekoni Sheepskin (darker, warmer, smoother)
  • Dekoni Choice Leather (thicker tighter bass, V-shaped, fun)
2. If you want more treble/brighter,
  • Dekoni Elite Velour (intimate, lively, bright)
3. If you want it to sound EXACTLY like the stock pads,
  • Dekoni Choice Suede (sounds like stock with much better comfort, seal, isolation)
4. If you find the k361/k371 boring and want it to sound more fun,
  • Dekoni Choice Leather
5. If you wear glasses (these work with glasses really well with the least seal breakage),
  • Dekoni Choice Suede
  • Dekoni Elite Velour
6. If you want more noise isolation,
  • Dekoni Sheepskin
  • Dekoni Choice Leather
7. If you want the best comfort,
  • Dekoni Choice Suede
  • Dekoni Elite Velour
  • Dekoni Choice Leather

INTRO:​

Other than the terrible stock earpad that comes with the AKG k361/k371, I absolutely LOVE the k371. The tuning is perfectly Harman neutral, the build is light and comfortable, the cables are detachable, the foldable cups make it portable,

The AKG k371 is easily one of the BEST closed-back headphones you can buy under the $200usd price tag.

But the earpads…. They suck. Big time.

The stock earpads break seal easily, they do not isolate noise well, they DO NOT work well with glasses (at all), and they aren't the highest of quality. Think I am exaggerating? Just type "AKG k371 seal" in Google and find it out yourself.

Because of how horrendous the stock pads are, I've always looked for 3rd party pads to try on my AKG k371. After months of searching, I think I've finally found my favourite(s).

Thank you @DekoniAudio for sending these earpads over for testing. I am not at all compensated by them and all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Before I start my review, a few quick things to note:
1. To make the review easy to read for everyone, I will be straight to the point and write my review in point form.
2. I wear glasses daily (the Rayban Clubmasters to be exact). The review will be done both with glasses on and without.
3. My glasses have moderately thick frames. The thicker the frame, the more bass will be lost to the reduced seal. YMMW.
4. I have tested all 4 earpads for almost 2 weeks.
5. I have a preference for a warmer sound. I am somewhat of a basshead. Your taste might differ from mine and that's ok.

With that out of the way, let's start the review.

1. STOCK AKG K371 EARPADS​

Pros:
  • Sound: as neutral and balanced as it gets. Midrange focused, with balanced bass and treble. Nothing is overemphasized with the midrange taking the crown.
Cons:
  • Comfort is ok. Although soft and plushy, they get "sticky" easily and the pads flatten easily. Causes fatigue on your ears.
  • Seal: Breaks seal too easily. I can't even tilt my head to the side without the seal breaking. Very annoying.
  • Will not work at all with glasses on. The seal is almost non-existent. Expect a huge loss in the bass if you wear glasses.
Would I recommend?:
  • No, unless you are the lucky few who find the stock pads to work perfectly for them without any sort of fit/seal issues.

⭐⭐🌟 2.5/5

2. DEKONI CHOICE SUEDE, $49.99USD​

(link - https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...replacement-ear-pads-for-akg-k371-headphones/)
Pros:
  • Sound: Sounds very close to the stock AKG k371 earpads, but better in every way. Bass is deeper and fuller thanks to the much better seal. But other than that, it sounds nearly identical to the stock pads.
  • Comfort: The most comfortable earpad I've tried for the k371. Doesn't trap heat and won't make your ears sweaty.
  • Seal: All the Dekoni pads I've tried give good seal. This one is no exception. Fits my head like a glove!
  • Works exceptionally well with glasses too. Probably the best earpad to get if you wear glasses. (Do note that there is still a slight loss in bass, but the loss is quite minimal)
Cons:
  • If you do sweat a lot, these will absorb your sweat so do make sure to clean them.
  • If you want more bass/treble, these are not for you.
Would I recommend?
  • Definitely. These are easily my favourite earpad out of the bunch. I really like how the k371 sounds so the neutrality offered by the Choice Suede is great. Not to mention, they fit me really well, even with glasses on! 10/10 would recommend this to anyone who wears glasses.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5

IMG_0102.JPGIMG_0104.JPGIMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0108.JPGIMG_0124.JPG
Dekoni Choice Suede vs AKG k371 stock pads

3. Dekoni Choice Leather, $49.99usd​

(link - https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...replacement-ear-pads-for-akg-k371-headphones/)
Pros:
  • Sound: Gives the k371 a more V-shaped sound signature. Bass is fuller and punchier, treble is slightly more energetic is sparklier. Overall, makes the k371 more fun-sounding. However, the midrange does sound a tad bit thinner.
  • Comfort: Very plush and soft to the touch. Feels very good on your skin, especially in a chilling environment. However, these do trap heat.
  • Seal: Just like the other Dekoni pads, they seal well.
  • They work decently well with glasses too, though not as well as Choice Suede.
Cons:
  • Just like most leather earpads, these do trap heat. So be sure to use them in a cooled environment.
  • Midrange does sound slightly backwards and thin (very slightly). Not a deal breaker but worth noting.
Would I recommend?
  • If you find the k361/k371 boring and would like them to sound more fun, then the Dekoni Choice Leather should definitely be up your radar. These give the AKGs a more "v-shaped" sound by giving oomph to the bass and sparkle to the treble. Recommended.

⭐⭐⭐⭐🌟 4.5/5​

IMG_0097.JPGIMG_0099.JPGIMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0101.JPGIMG_0127.JPG
Dekoni Choice Leather vs AKG k371 stock pads

4. Dekoni Elite Velour, $49.99usd​

Pros:
  • Sound: Gives the k371 a brighter, livelier, and more intimate sound signature. If you find the k361/k371 lacking in the treble, this is definitely the earpad for you. Treble is livelier and brighter, upper mids are more emphasized, vocals are slightly more forward and sibilant. Basically, everything is more forward and more intimate. Midrange and bass also sound thinner.
  • Comfort: I'd rank this 2nd in terms of comfort, right below the Choice Suede. They do not trap heat and feel very "cushiony". However, they are just a tad scratchy.
  • Seal: I'd rank these as having the 2nd best seal, right below the Choice Suede. Fits my head really well.
  • Works really well with glasses too! Again, I'd rank them a level below the Choice Suede. Recommended if you wear glasses on a daily basis.
Cons:
  • These are slightly too bright for my taste (I like bass). The slight sibilance to the treble bothers me a tad bit too.
  • Midrange and bass sound thinner.
Would I recommend?
  • I would recommend these to people who find the k361/k371 lacking in the treble. If you want your AKG k361/k371 to sound brighter and livelier, the Dekoni Elite Velour is for you.
  • Personally though, I do not see myself using the Dekoni Elite Velour as I find it to be a bit bright for my taste.

⭐⭐⭐🌟 3.5/5​

IMG_0112.JPGIMG_0114.JPGIMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

Dekoni Choice Suede vs Dekoni Elite Velour

IMG_0109.JPGIMG_0126.JPG
Dekoni Choice Suede vs Dekoni Elite Velour

5. Dekoni Elite Sheepskin, $69.99usd​

Pros:
  • Sound: These make the AKG k361/3k71 sound warmer, smoother, and thicker. Bass is thicker and fuller (without sounding bloaty), the midrange is full and lush, treble is sweet and smooth. Gives the k371 a slight analogue/tube-ish sound characteristic. Reminds me of my Final e5000 IEMs.
  • Comfort: These earpads are thick and slightly firmer than the Choice Leather. They are quite comfy too, but I'd rate them a level below Choice Leather. These do trap slightly more heat than the Choice Leather.
  • Seal: Seal is good on these too. However, they aren't the most compatible with glasses thanks to the pads being firmer (Still seal much better than the stock pads with glasses)
Cons:
  • These might sound too warm for you. Not the most versatile.
  • The pads are slightly firmer than Choice Leather. Not the most compatible with glasses ( still much better than stock pads)
Would I recommend?
  • If you want the k361/k371 to sound warmer, fuller, and smoother, then yes. I recommend the Dekoni Sheepskin earpads. Personally, I like warmth and bass, so the Dekoni Sheepskin is right up my alley. I really like how lush the midrange is, how full the bass is, and how smooth the treble is with these pads. So yes, I recommend the Dekoni Sheepskin.

⭐⭐⭐⭐🌟 4.5/5

IMG_0088.JPGIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0092.JPGIMG_0093.JPG
Dekoni Elite Sheepskin vs AKG k371 stock pads

IMG_0095.JPG
Dekoni Elite Sheepskin vs Dekoni Choice Leather

Rankings:​

Here's a simplified technical breakdown of all the 4 Dekoni earpads below,
Bass: Sheepskin > Choice Leather > Choice Suede > AliX pads > Stock pads > Elite Velour
Midrange: Choice Suede >= Stock pads > Sheepskin > Choice Leather > Elite Velour
Treble (brightest to smoothest): Elite Velour > Choice Leather > stock pads > choice Suede >> sheepskin
Treble (personal preference): Sheepskin > Choice Suede > Choice Leather > Stock pads > elite velour
Comfort: Choice Suede >= Elite Velour > Choice Leather > Sheepskin > stock pads
Seal with glasses: Choice Suede >= Elite Velour >> Choice Leather > Sheepskin >>> stock pads
Noise isolation: Choice Leather >= Sheepskin > Choice Suede > Elite Velour >>> stock pads

In conclusion,

All 4 Dekoni earpads are great in their own ways. They all offer different sound signatures for different preferences and all of them elevated the AKG k361/k371 in a certain way. If you are in the market for an earpad replacement for your AKG k361/k371, I hope this guide helps you.

Thank you for reading :)

IMG_0121.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 14
The AKG k371 is awesome :)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 14
Too bad akg doesn’t offer their OEM pads on Amazon 👎🏻
Are you referring to the stock ones? I think you can find them on AliExpress instead

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 14
Something I've noticed with my own 2+ year use of 371 with both OEM and leather Aliexpress ($10/pair) pads: to get the optimum sound out -- fuller with deeper bass -- I must slightly PUSH IN both L/R transducers (light pressure with finger pushing in on L/R "AKG" circle). Of course, this can only be done impractically.
Perhaps, pads that are more compliant and/or thinner would be the best.

Oct 8, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 14
Something I've noticed with my own 2+ year use of 371 with both OEM and leather Aliexpress ($10/pair) pads: to get the optimum sound out -- fuller with deeper bass -- I must slightly PUSH IN both L/R transducers (light pressure with finger pushing in on L/R "AKG" circle). Of course, this can only be done impractically.
Perhaps, pads that are more compliant and/or thinner would be the best.
Hey bud! I've experienced the exact same thing when using earpads that do not seal well. After taking off my glasses or using earpads that seal me better (Like Dekoni Suede Choice) I do not need to "press them in" again to get optimum sound.

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 14
I don't wear glasses , so can't comment on that aspect.
About your "don't seal well" theory... It's a confusing one, toots. The Dekoni suedes are FABRIC so they will leak more "pressure" than vinyl/leather . Not unless there is a plastic/leather layer underneath the suede. Does Dekoni post cutaway views?
In any case…
Did an experiment with my Ali leathers and OEM ... pushed them in slightly to improve sonics (see prev. post). And while pushing them in (using forefinger), I , with my thumb, created a hole to diminish the seal. The improved sound remained for the most part. Confirming my claim about the criticality of the gap (spacing) between the transducer plane and ear plane.
Been down the Dekoni path with my beyerdyniamics before. Horrible results. NEVER AGAIN.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 14
I don't wear glasses , so can't comment on that aspect.
About your "don't seal well" theory... It's a confusing one, toots. The Dekoni suedes are FABRIC so they will leak more "pressure" than vinyl/leather . Not unless there is a plastic/leather layer underneath the suede. Does Dekoni post cutaway views?
In any case…
Did an experiment with my Ali leathers and OEM ... pushed them in slightly to improve sonics (see prev. post). And while pushing them in (using forefinger), I , with my thumb, created a hole to diminish the seal. The improved sound remained for the most part. Confirming my claim about the criticality of the gap (spacing) between the transducer plane and ear plane.
Been down the Dekoni path with my beyerdyniamics before. Horrible results. NEVER AGAIN.

Hey man, I'm just commenting on my personal experience after trying out all 4 Dekoni pads, AliX leather pads, and stock OEM pads.

I don't know how is the "doesn't seal well" theory confusing? As when I first bought the AKG k371, a lot of people had issues getting a good seal with the stock pads, especially people that wear glasses.

Just google "AKG k371 seal" and you will be presented with an endless number of Reddit threads of people complaining/finding solutions to solve this seal issue. Anyways, based on your response and since you do not wear glasses, I don't think seal is ever an issue for you so that's ok.

Have you tried Sony MDR7506 pads? Those are on the thinner side so should fit your "optimum sound" theory perfect. Maybe u can try it out and report back?

Oct 10, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 14
Hey man, I'm just commenting on my personal experience after trying out all 4 Dekoni pads, AliX leather pads, and stock OEM pads.

I don't know how is the "doesn't seal well" theory confusing? As when I first bought the AKG k371, a lot of people had issues getting a good seal with the stock pads, especially people that wear glasses.

Just google "AKG k371 seal" and you will be presented with an endless number of Reddit threads of people complaining/finding solutions to solve this seal issue. Anyways, based on your response and since you do not wear glasses, I don't think seal is ever an issue for you so that's ok.

Have you tried Sony MDR7506 pads? Those are on the thinner side so should fit your "optimum sound" theory perfect. Maybe u can try it out and report back?
Nah, toots. As I already sez in da othea' 371 thread. Da Ali's fer ten bux iz good 'nough.

Sep 5, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 14
I was recommended the Dekoni Choice Suede to replace stocks k371 but no way to buy them in EU which means 35€ in shipping.
As an alternative I was recommended the Shure hpaec 1540. Has anyone compared them?
I've never tried the Shure, sorry.

But i am still using the Dekoni Seude today. Amazing pads

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 14
I've tried the Shure Alcantara pads. They sound nice but not like the original. The choice seade is almost spot on and more comfortable too
Choice Seude is perfect with the AKG k371

Users who are viewing this thread

Back