AKG K361/K371
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #766 of 1,294
I actually really enjoy the AirPods Pro with the “balanced tone” setting with the Comply foam tips. Bass, mids, and treble are all where I’d like them to be. I have no complaints about their sound at all with this setup. The comfort is great, the ANC and transparency mode is awesome, and they are just super convenient. I’ve used a decent amount of true wireless earbuds and I prefer these over all the ones I’ve tried so far.

The Apple health app tells me my daily average listening volume is between 61 and 71dB. So I don’t listen all that loudly which may be why I prefer some added brightness.

These actually sound similar enough to my K371 with the small amount of EQ I use on them. Anyway... back to the K371 discussion.

Oh, you're running foam tips too? Those also tend to boost the bass. There is a likelihood you may enjoy a slightly V-shaped sound signature, but I can't know for sure though.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #767 of 1,294
Oh, you're running foam tips too? Those also tend to boost the bass. There is a likelihood you may enjoy a slightly V-shaped sound signature, but I can't know for sure though.

I like these, I like the K371 with some slight EQ, and I like my Focal Elear with Clear pads. That’s all I know.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #768 of 1,294
Same here, although I prefer it's smoothness over too bright like MTW(1 and 2)
You thought the Momentum TW1 was too bright? Damn dude, that's some dark tastes! The TW is pretty rolled off up top and tilts into the warm side of things with a hearty lowbass boost....at least in comparison to headphone DF & Harman neutral. I would say one of the more relaxed mid/treble tunings.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #769 of 1,294
You thought the Momentum TW1 was too bright? Damn dude, that's some dark tastes! The TW is pretty rolled off up top and tilts into the warm side of things with a hearty lowbass boost....at least in comparison to headphone DF & Harman neutral. I would say one of the more relaxed mid/treble tunings.
Perhaps for iems. lol iem brightness feel more intensified than full-sized due to being instered inside the ear and being so close to the drums. It's not like that with full-sized as I listen to HE-6, HD800S, etc.. I can't listen to HD800S out of any amp. Most solid-states will fatigue me.

MTW is dipped in the upper-mids and picks up at the treble, and I cannot stand the treble. The treble is opposite of rolled-off. It's emphasized. It is not dark, it's what is called V-shaped. So, tonality is quite important as I got to enjoy the sound.

Some people say Focal Clear is fatiguing and for me, it's totally fine, and it's preferable sig.

I know when I listened to bright iems as my auditory system fatigues, therefore it's wiser for me to choose something on the darker side, but not thick and warm. I dislike thick and warm, and do prefer clarity. I just have a precise point I want the sound to be tuned. And looking at the responses of iems that I generally prefer, they are not dark, nor bright. I may just come off a bit picky.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #770 of 1,294
MTW is dipped in the upper-mids and picks up at the treble, and I cannot stand the treble.
Sorry man, couldn't disagree more with that. It's a dark bass/mids-focused profile with a low-treble dip and a peak around 10k to add some barely audible air. Mids aren't scooped, as per usual for a Senn.
I hadn't seen the FR before but it does reflect what I hear. It doesn't remotely approach the treble on my LCD-1, M50x, or my experiences with the HD600.
Respectfully I think your taste is an outlier there. Maybe you have an IEM sensitivity (for whatever reason) but I wouldn't ever claim to others that the TW is bright.
TW Frequency Response

Anyway, I'm a bit off-topic. To reign it back in, I thought the K371 had far more low-treble energy but nothing about its FR jumps out at me as peaky haha.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #771 of 1,294
Anyway, I'm a bit off-topic. To reign it back in, I thought the K371 had far more low-treble energy but nothing about its FR jumps out at me as peaky haha.

It is slightly peaky in the low treble imo, between about 5 and 8k. And also appears slightly depressed between 3 and 5k.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #774 of 1,294
It is slightly peaky in the low treble imo, between about 5 and 8k. And also appears slightly depressed between 3 and 5k.

Ah yeah, I gotcha. If you're not used to a slightly revealing treble range it can sound peaky. I feel it would be a bother until the buyer acclimates to it.
I don't really hear that depression, but I guess it would work to take some edge off the upper mids.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #775 of 1,294
Ah yeah, I gotcha. If you're not used to a slightly revealing treble range it can sound peaky. I feel it would be a bother until the buyer acclimates to it.
I don't really hear that depression, but I guess it would work to take some edge off the upper mids.

Depressions like that are somewhat harder to hear.

The "bright spot" and depression in the low treble tends to move around a little though, depending on who's doing the plotting on this headphone. On Crin's graph, for example, the brightness appears to be centered a little more in the 7 to 9k range. (Though there is also a peak showing up at around 5k in the left channel.)...

On the Rtings graphs, it seems a bit more in 7 to 10k range...

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1671/4011
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1671/4012

Some extra brightness in the 8 to 10k range is normal though on the Rtings graphs. So you have to factor that in as well.

Which is the most correct is hard to say.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #776 of 1,294
Which is the most correct is hard to say.
End of the day these are tiny nuances. It's hard for most of us who aren't audio engineers with knowledge directly applicable to headphone development to be conclusive about them. Combine that with homecooked measurements and it's hardly a transparent metric for the layman. Thus...highly subjective matter. I try not to look at the minute aspects of FR graphs, since the overall impression is what's useful...in combination with actual listening and peer review.
I'm glad the K371 seems to represent a great signature for many people. It's certainly the best I've heard anywhere near the price.
We could dig into what those peaks and troughs "do" but I think the perceived irregularities are concessions for building a natural-sounding headphone at this price.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #777 of 1,294
They are nuances. I agree with that. And the only reason I bring them up is for the few folks that may think the treble sounds slightly "off", and want to know why. And maybe what to do to try to correct it.

Most users of this headphone will probably never notice any of the above though. And will think it sounds stellar as is, with no adjustments... And more power to them for doing so!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #778 of 1,294
Hi! Somebody who has or has had the AKG K371 and the Takstar Pro82 could compare them? I currently have the Takstar although the K371 catches my attention, my question is whether it will be a significant improvement or not worth it.

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #779 of 1,294
I think it's reasonable to take measurements above 2kHz more as indicative than absolute. Many would say subjectively K371 lack in treble detail and I would agree, but they don't lack in definition which is more important to me. I think the slight shoutyness in the mids is a bigger cause for concern. Then again we are talking about a $150 headphone that still trump all other in the bass department.

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #780 of 1,294
I think it's reasonable to take measurements above 2kHz more as indicative than absolute. Many would say subjectively K371 lack in treble detail and I would agree, but they don't lack in definition which is more important to me. I think the slight shoutyness in the mids is a bigger cause for concern. Then again we are talking about a $150 headphone that still trump all other in the bass department.

More or less this... Spikes and dips in the treble typically are influenced heavily by the natural resonances of the rig used. Many try to deal with this by using a compensation which for the most part works, but likely isn't perfect. I feel like there is a likelihood that our brains could deal with spikes as well to an extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back