AKG K361/K371
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #736 of 1,294
You can get better imaging, soundstage or detail, even at the same price.
Better in all those ways but with an equally great tonality? That’s a lot harder. The K371 is all about the frequency response, and in that sense it shoots well beyond its price category.
Even still I wouldn’t exactly say it sucks in those categories, seems like a bit of a strong word. It’s leagues better than the M50x soundstage and imaging.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #738 of 1,294
Even still I wouldn’t exactly say it sucks in those categories, seems like a bit of a strong word. It’s leagues better than the M50x soundstage and imaging.

Absolutely. It’s perfectly adequate in the price bracket.
You could probably get better soundstage and detail with a DT770 Pro for example, but then you lose the portability, foldability, detachable cables and excellent FR.

I will disagree about the M50x. It has good imaging and detail but a condensed soundstage. Regardless of the bashing it gets, it has good technical abilities and is still a great monitor.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #739 of 1,294
HD600 follows Harman very closely for most of the frequency range. If you are skeptical toward the Haman target then you better get rid of your HD600.
Harman 2018-Sennheiser HD600-Sennheiser HD650-Philips Fidelio X2.png

If you ignore stuff below like 400 Hz, yeah, it follows it very closely. But it's likely closer to the DF neutral curve than it is the Harman.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #740 of 1,294
Absolutely. It’s perfectly adequate in the price bracket.
You could probably get better soundstage and detail with a DT770 Pro for example, but then you lose the portability, foldability, detachable cables and excellent FR.

I will disagree about the M50x. It has good imaging and detail but a condensed soundstage. Regardless of the bashing it gets, it has good technical abilities and is still a great monitor.
Yeah, that was actually my first headphone and loved it for a few years! I don’t remember the imaging being great but it’s been a while since I heard it. Started getting annoyed of their comfort.

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #741 of 1,294
My experience with the HD600 was too short to be reliable in this case so I'll leave it out. I thought they sounded similar though, at least in their ability to produce a natural and musical signature that worked well with all genres.
Maybe someone with more experience of the two can contribute.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #743 of 1,294
My experience with the HD600 was too short to be reliable in this case so I'll leave it out. I thought they sounded similar though, at least in their ability to produce a natural and musical signature that worked well with all genres.
Maybe someone with more experience of the two can contribute.

The HD650 in the midrange sounds very similar to the K371 in the midrange. The top end and low end both differ, but the midrange is similar. When I had an HD650 and my K371 at the same time I preferred the K371. I’m not a huge fan of the mid bass bloat and warmth of the HD650 coupled with the lack of sub bass extension.

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #744 of 1,294
The HD650 in the midrange sounds very similar to the K371 in the midrange. The top end and low end both differ, but the midrange is similar. When I had an HD650 and my K371 at the same time I preferred the K371. I’m not a huge fan of the mid bass bloat and warmth of the HD650 coupled with the lack of sub bass extension.
That's probably the bigger difference between the 600 and 650. 650 has thicker lower-mids which causes highs to be less analytical than the 600. 600 on the other hand comes off leaner due to comparatively lesser lower-mids. Both are easily distinguishable (sounding different), but the measurements of the highs looks so similar (Looking at Oratory's, the whole graph looks similar!).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #745 of 1,294
My Senns (600, 650) and my k371 sound ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ALIKE. If you just look at what some of y'all are callin' "similar" curves, please don't think 1-dimensionally! Of course, the sonics of 'cans are beyond what acoustic "science" circa 2021 is describin'. Of course ... right? Puhleeeeeze think beyond the university textbook.
"Thank You .... thank you very much"
-Elvis P.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #746 of 1,294
If those $$ aftermarket pads (Dekoni???) make a more reliable, confident and REPEATABLE seal, compared to stock pads, I might consider getting some.
HOWEVER ... those Dekoni pads do seem to be deeper than stock. And from my experience, if slightly press each ear cup in a bit with finger pressure, sound improves -- especially bass. Not sure whether this is due to a better seal and/or closer ear-transducer distance.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #747 of 1,294
Has anyone managed to improve the isolation of the K371? I have no objections to the level of sound leaking out but more so to sound leaking IN. I really like the tuning and alternatives with a similar tuning and better isolation are very hard to find.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #748 of 1,294
Has anyone managed to improve the isolation of the K371? I have no objections to the level of sound leaking out but more so to sound leaking IN. I really like the tuning and alternatives with a similar tuning and better isolation are very hard to find.

Closed over-ear headphones can only do so much unfortunately. If you want true (passive) isolation it's normally best to run to IEMs. If you want to stick to over-ear headphones, you'd likely have to run to ANC to get any meaningful gain in sound isolation.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #749 of 1,294
@henrikgadegaard The JBL Club One is a Harman-tuned headphone with noise cancelling. It's tuned very similarly to the K371 in my experience, with a touch more bass and less forward upper mids. They're a bit heavy at 380g but could be a great option if you need isolation. I tried them briefly and found them comfortable while also being an extremely sturdy build using mostly metal.

The Shure SRH440 is also tuned to the target (supposedly even more accurately than the K371) and I found it to have good isolation. It's cheaper, all plastic and only comes with a coiled cable, but it might be a good cheap "out and about" headphone that isn't too costly to replace if it breaks.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #750 of 1,294
That's probably the bigger difference between the 600 and 650. 650 has thicker lower-mids which causes highs to be less analytical than the 600. 600 on the other hand comes off leaner due to comparatively lesser lower-mids. Both are easily distinguishable (sounding different), but the measurements of the highs looks so similar (Looking at Oratory's, the whole graph looks similar!).

A couple compensated plots of the K371, HD600 and HD650 for comparison...

Harman Compensated:

Harman 2018-AKG K371-Sennheiser HD600-Sennheiser HD650.jpg

Diffuse Field Compensated:

Diffuse Field-AKG K371-Sennheiser HD600-Sennheiser HD650.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back