AKG K340 vs AKG K701
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
may I ask where can we buy k501s today?

Mostly used, unfortunately. A few NOS sets turn up on eBay here and there, though. The good news is that AKG made a bunch of them and prices are fair.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it does not pretend to be neutral, it is capable of things almost no headphones can keep up with.

Well, my expectations in the studio of the K/702 is first tonal balance and transparent sound, then after that is resolution with high details, extended frequency response and all of today's new goodies (that looks like only the K702 offers).

I can understand that people aren't crazy about the flat response. Sometimes it's dry and sometimes for a long period of time it can become boring. But, this is still going to be best for monitor headphones. Colored cans can never be trusted as monitors. Maybe they're great for listening as a playback monitor for different genres of music, but not for making the music in the studio, which is why I use several different types of headphones to check the finished product.

Maybe the K340 is the black sheep in the family and that's fine. AKG advertises the 701 as hi-fi cans, but for me they're still going to be studio monitors. And it looks like this is the company's signature sound that everyone wants to hear, especially in the studios, or direct from the studio.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #18 of 27
I own a pair of K340 (unmodded), it indeed is old, but the dynamic+electret hybrid driver has pretty high potentials IMO.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #22 of 27
We live in a digital age... I love it.
biggrin.gif

Anyways, try to listen to a pair of K501s and K701s and draw your own conclusions... or roll the dice on a pair of K340s and spend the next 3 years of your life building a system that makes them sing.
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #24 of 27
I have both k501 and k701. The K501 is more of a specialized headphone while the K701 is better for being allrounder. For my setup , i cannot just own K501 alone. Both cans are very very good value for money.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #25 of 27
I must have gotten lucky on eBay. I recently picked up a pair of K340's (and cheap) and I liked them enough out of my Yarland P100 enough to sell my Grado GS1000's. I compared them on many high end dac/amp setups at the LA Head-fi meet just to be certain and I seriously can't believe they sounded better! The mids were more lush, and the sound had very nice speed and prat. They are extremely power hungry though. I'd say at least 60% of the amps I listened to weren't powerful enough for them.

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #26 of 27
Sorry to be rattling up an old topic again... but i've just bought some k 340's for really cheap (€20) and testing them now.
In comparison to my K701 i actually think it's a bit heavy in the mid low's, but i'm pretty impressed by these old cans.
I've read that there are multiple versions around (bass heavy/shy), any way to make sure which one i have?

My question is: what would be a good amp to pair these with? (As in every topic i'm being warned they are hard to amp properly)
Right now i've got a Beresford Caiman (Gatorized), and i'm fairly happy with it, but it might move away from my computer to the living room to become a stand alone dac.

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #27 of 27

My question is: what would be a good amp to pair these with? (As in every topic i'm being warned they are hard to amp properly)
Right now i've got a Beresford Caiman (Gatorized), and i'm fairly happy with it, but it might move away from my computer to the living room to become a stand alone dac.

i have very pleasing results with the Matrix M-Stage... bought it as FOTM back in the days and recommended for the K701.. great amp, works with all my akgs
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back