AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jan 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #346 of 4,058

Quote:
Absolutely agree. Unless it's a recurring trend, it's just (bad) luck of the draw. I'm just glad my purchase was made through Harman directly, so there should be a quick turnaround. 
redface.gif

Pr
I know what you mean, my friend. The very first thing I suspected was the tips being mounted/positioned wrong. Sure enough, tips were fine. Then I checked to see if maybe I needed to pop the right side of my ear, and equalize the pressure. Nope, ears were fine, since all my other earphones sounded just fine. Irrespective of source (PC, mobile phone, iPad, Studio-V), the problem persisted. And so, I was convinced. I tested them this morning as well, and the right side is still (nearly) as dead as a doorknob.

What concerns me, however, is not the indestructible stainless steel design of the earphones, but the rather flimsy, rubbery cable above the y-split point. The cable below the split seems durable, but above the split, it's got me questioning their durability. That said, I've no real way of knowing whether or not it's the part of the cable, or the transducers that gave out. All the while, as soon as it occurred, I looked to my right, and the 3 musketeers (Miracle, EX1000, & PFE232) stared me right in the face, as if to say, "we got your back i2!" Or maybe they're trying to cover up their evil scheme, and my Miracle is behind all this... time for my daily meds... (just trying to keep the mood light 
biggrin.gif
)

On a serious note, to music, james, and other K3003 owners, what do you fellas' make of the cable above the y-split?

Ah I2, Good to see that Humor. Really, this isn't that big of a deal, and it's not like you have no back ups, although it is humbling. I would think it wouldn't be the cable as it seems it would either be completely dead or intermittent 

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #347 of 4,058
This is why I don't buy IEMs without removable cables >.<
I'm just too scared haha. Even if a removable cable IEM is still prone to breakage it still gives me a bit more peace of mind.
Especially how much the AKG K3003 costs. I2ehan I hope everything sorts itself out :D

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #350 of 4,058

Quote:

What concerns me, however, is not the indestructible stainless steel design of the earphones, but the rather flimsy, rubbery cable above the y-split point. The cable below the split seems durable, but above the split, it's got me questioning their durability...

On a serious note, to music, james, and other K3003 owners, what do you fellas' make of the cable above the y-split?

To be perfectly honest, I think the cable thickness from the Y-split up is absolutely fine. It's virtually the same as the EX1000 cable (with the original European/Asian EX1000 cable which is thicker than the US version). It's also as thick as my custom ES3X cable (with the newer UE cable which is a bit thicker than the original Westone cable), and also as thick as my CKM99 cable, though the K3003 cable is more flexible than the ATHs.

Frankly, I don't think I'd like that part of the cable to be as thick as it is from the Y-split down; my guess is that it would lack flexibility and lightness, all the more if you wear these IEMs with the cable over the ear. Maybe the strain relief could be just a tad thicker - only maybe -, but in that case the design would be somewhat compromised.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #351 of 4,058
@music: I see.

I just spoke to the Harman service rep, and the website already indicates a replacement order. However, the replacement won't be sent out until they receive the return shipment of course. Then there is potential added wait time:

Although the merchandise may be signed for as soon as it is delivered to our returns center, it may take up to four business days to inspect the returned product and ship your replacement product.

I've already boxed them up, ready to be shipped out today. All in all, I'm hoping to at least have the replacement headed my way by early next week.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #352 of 4,058

Must be a system error, because according Harman's website, I have to wait another 6,988 years before receiving shipping information! james, think you'll have completed your EX1000 comparison by then? 

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #353 of 4,058
By than we'll have the AKG K30000003 :D High End 3000 Way System IEM with 3000 drivers!

Quote:

Must be a system error, because according Harman's website, I have to wait another 6,988 years before receiving shipping information! james, think you'll have completed your EX1000 comparison by then? 

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #354 of 4,058

Quote:

I think all this means is that my Great Friend I2ehan, will have a long and prosperous life

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #356 of 4,058
If I'd paid that kind of money for earphones I'd expect them to survive nuclear war :D

I guess but it's really blind shot that driver has burnt. I had similar issue with my MC5. And if this is the case detachable cables wont be of any use.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #357 of 4,058

Quote:
Unbelievable! The right side (the side with the microphone) just died on me spontaneously, and I've tried them with multiple sources now to confirm that it's indeed the earphones themselves. The right side produces about 10% of volume, while the left is as good as ever. Always babied, never once dropped. I miss them already. I'll give Harman a call tomorrow. 
frown.gif

Lets just say I would be the cause of the 2012 apocalypse if that happened to me, especially considering the cost of the K3003

BTW this means no comparison between the PFE232 vs K3003 right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back