AKG K290 Surround [56k GTFO]
May 23, 2007 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Fitz

Headphoneus Supremus
After a few weeks of anxiously waiting for my new toy to show up, today it finally has! The AKG K290 Surround with the optional switchbox, both NOS, which I got a fair deal on from a guy in Austria. I'm not big on surround sound, as I don't even have a surround sound amp to run these. The real reason I got them is as you can see, they match the sheets on my bed quite nicely.
eggosmile.gif

I can't really offer much for impressions until I can get hold of a surround sound amp to play with. Anyone in the Atlanta area wanna sell me one for cheap?
wink.gif

May 23, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 17
Just running these phones in 2-channel mode, I must say I'm pretty impressed so far. They have a very relaxed and non-fatiguing sound, with ample bass and slightly subdued highs. Quite similar to the K280, but with a more enveloping soundstage, probably due to the horizontal rather than vertical arrangement of the drivers. The only complaint I have so far is on some recordings with a lot of hard stereo panning, it can have a "hyper-wide" sound stage like the K501 and family, but when the mix is right the center stage integrates much more smoothly than I ever remember the K501 doing.

May 23, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neat but I don't know if I would be willing to invest in surround sound headphones.

Well, Fitz is an AKG fanatic, so this is an exception for him too.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neat but I don't know if I would be willing to invest in surround sound headphones.

I'm only using it in normal 2-channel mode right now with the 1/4" adapter cable and even like this may end up preferring it to a similar model that is a normal headphone (K280).

May 23, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 17
The S-Video/PS-2 type socket on that switch box looks identical to the connector on the Sennheiser Surrounder.

Be sure to let us know how they sound in Quadraphonic. Can you not connect them directly to your sound card?

May 23, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 17
When you say surround amp, do you need it to be a power amp or just a surround processor? I have an old Sony ES pre-pro that is a wonderful 5.1 channel processor I would happily give you.

May 23, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 17
i like the excuse for buying the headphone hehe
tongue.gif

May 23, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 17
The switchbox isn't an amp, so no, I can't hook directly to my soundcard unless I made a bunch of adapter cables and hoped it could drive the headphones halfway decently. The headphones hook up much in a way like the K1000, with a special plug on the headphones, and and adapter cables for a 1/4" plug and one with bare wires for connecting to a power amp. The switchbox is just for convenience to be able to switch between headphones and speakers, help match levels between the two (to avoid volume blasts when toggling), and mix the center channel into the front left and right drivers. It's obvious the headphones and switchbox were designed to be added to an existing surround system, judging by the hookups and usage, not to mention the super long 6 meter cable.

That's a really generous offer of you Steve, and I would love to take you up on it, but I need to find a full surround amp to be able to use the K290. I'm going to look for an inexpensive one that has decent sound quality, and just replace the 2-channel amp on my desk with it. That way I can use it for both my computer speakers and for the K290. My Tower of Extreme is already reaching 16" tall not counting the headphone stand, so replacing rather than adding equipment is important at this point.
tongue.gif

I'll try to find something usable locally or on that auction site in the next couple weeks, so I can see how they sound when run properly. My impressions of them using the 1/4" adapter into my AKG headamp are still the same... a strong tilt towards the bass with a big and deep soundstage.

May 23, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 17
An internal examination shows that the K290 switchbox is literally just that, a switchbox. Aside from the connectors and switches, the only other components are 6 resistors. It's only the size it is in order to hold all the speaker connections that are on the back, and is an ordinary PacTec plastic enclosure. Basically it's a simple DIY project, but made by AKG for you.
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 17
Hi! wow those are amazing I love AKG, and now, yes you can connect 5.1 mode
first the "center" channnel you need to link with a resistence, add to the LEFT and RIGHT Channel FRONTS, this is easy , you can check with some technical store, and the L and R reas, just with the another connection off you Akgs, test it, Im sure will work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back