AKG K271 MK II burn in recommendations?
Jul 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

spoonsphere

New Head-Fier
hi folks,

my AKG K271 MK II headphones are arriving tomorrow.

i would appreciate thoughts on burning these in (what to play, how long to play).

intended use is with spoken word, vocals, some movies, if that makes any difference for the burn in process.

thanks so much!

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 9
Forget the whole burn-in thing, just let your ears 'burn-in' to the sound of the headphones over time during normal use. If you really want to though, just play music you normally listen to a bit louder than you normally listen to for a while.

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 9
audioholics.com even concluded that burning-in big speakers (which change a lot more than tiny headphone drivers) does not result in audible changes.

@hotto: Mr Joboto's advice applies to any headphone, even cables haha.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 9
[size=10pt]@Mr Joboto : I tend to agree with what you said about just listening to the music and not worrying about burn-in. Burn-in seems to be the act of a dynamic diaphragm-based driver setting in to its housing and loosening up over time. It’s believed that new headphone drivers are a little sibilant and lack bass control or don't have enough bass, and burn-in fixes these issues as they loosen the drivers. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I just got the k271's this week and am really loving them. Female vocals are truly out of this world, as are backup vocals :) [/size]

[size=10pt]As of now the only thing that I’ve noticed getting better is bass/instrument presence and texture/detail, which are exactly the kind of refinements that most people say should occur through burn-in at normal volumes, so no worries there XD.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]The only definitive answer I've gotten from people is that a loud burn-in prevents instrument congestion in headphones. I’m not noticing any such congestion either. Am I really going to run in to any kind of noticeable congestion problems by not giving them a 100 hour 'loud' burn-in? [/size]

Quote:
Forget the whole burn-in thing, just let your ears 'burn-in' to the sound of the headphones over time during normal use. If you really want to though, just play music you normally listen to a bit louder than you normally listen to for a while.

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 9

Those headphones have a switch that turns off the speakers when not on your head, you'll have to disable it if you want to try burning them in.I had a pair for several months and they didn't change for me, but I didn't expect them to, either.When they are brand new give them a long listen, if the midrange tonality bothers you, send them back. They won't ever lose that sound.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 9
[size=10pt][size=10pt]@ph0rk: I love their midrange tonality and slight treble emphasis. Their punch surprised me as well. You probably can see from my setup; but overall clarity/texture, instrument presence and separation are really lacking compared to my S4 and E434. They also move considerable air, though not as much throughout the frequency range as the E434's which are open ear buds. There surprising bass impact makes them much more balanced headphones though.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I've done my research and know for a fact that I really want to upgrade to the Yulong U100. It clearly seems to be the best performer at the $200 mark for computer audio based DAC/AMP combos. I'm aware of its forward upper mid and am not the kind of purist that would freak out at sending a slightly eq'ed signal from Foobar to the U100's dac before processing so as to prevent as a honky vocal from causing earbleed. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Considering your experience here, I was wondering if you knew whether or not there are cheaper options. Essentially, in audio do you basically get what you pay for? I bought and later returned the Fiio E7 as its dark sound was not for me, even if it fixed the 3 problems I mentioned before by having a superior dac. Ultimately the U100 is exactly what I wan't in a DAC/AMP minus its forward upper mid. Would sending out a slightly eq'ed signal to a dac amp work? (I think starting a new thread in order to find out would be a waste)[/size][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back