AKG K271...IMMHO
Aug 25, 2004 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

kiwirugby

Headphoneus Supremus
In preparation for a trans-Atlantic flight, I decided to get a closed/isolated (relatively speaking, of course, according to many on here) set of headphones, and after a fairly exhaustive review of reviews and commentary on here, I narrowed my choice down to the DT250-250s or the K271. On balance, the DTs had the better reviews, but the AKGs appealed to me more because of some comments about their compatability with classical music and jazz. So that's what I bought from Todd (a returned set at some real savings, by the way), and I ordered a Zu Mobius as well. (This had better be a fun flight!)

I must say I was somewhat apprehensive because of the concerns raised by others about the roll-off of the treble, the lighter bass, issues of mid-range, and the need for a really powerful amp among many issues of detractors. Daunted, but going ahead anyway. I hooked up the headset to a Xin SuperDual attached with a Zu mini-mini to an Optimus CD3400, added the bass boost, and put on some Mahler (3rd), and my goodness, could this set give you the full range of freqencies of a massive orhestral sound. It may be been a little more "inward" for me compared with my open AKG K501s, and DT880s, but it held its own brilliantly. Sampling other varieties of classical music and some jazz, I was pleased...very pleased. Now maybe since this was a return to Todd, it already may have had some burn in, but the sound for me is a keeper. Very balanced, full range of frequencies, good separation, good soundstage, and some excellent bass (picks up the bass drum marvellously).

But this is not the real point of this post. I have to tell you, I was royally confused by the reviews. I don't doubt the reviewers opinions, but I really don't even have close to the kinds of listening experiences, all be they a few hours, of those who don't like this headphone. I know it's all a matter of taste (sorry to mix metaphors!), but I wish there was some way to arrive at some good definitions or descriptions of the more commonly used terms (rolled off highs; tight bass; mid-range hump; and so on.). I know there are glossaries out there and they are helpful, save they contain way to many entries. If only we could try to get amongst us some common understanding of some of the mor commonly-used terms, maybe some of these reviews, helful all, would be more instructive and informative. (However, I hope this is moot for me, since my buying days based on this great site are OVER!)

Of course, I do recognize that there is one caveat to all of this....my ears and their ability and sensitivity to hear or ascertain real differences that many on here are able to discern and describe so eloquently (and I can assure you my inability to be so discerning has nothing to do with the cleanliness of my ears!). I just may well not be able to be hear, understand and describe the real differences between what others report and what I seem to hear.

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 38
The "problem" with the K271 is that it doesn't have highs that could send a bat running for cover, and it doesn't have lows that resemble a car sub. (which you fixed a little through the bass boost) I have no idea what and how people listen to who disparage the K271 out of hand. It's true that comparatively they do lack bass volume. And they aren't that toppy. However I happen to think they're one of the best closed phones in terms of price/performance for true hi-fi listening. Despite the fact that there may not be as much bass as some other phones, they do low-end transients very well. Which means kick drums actually sound like kick drums.
Soundstage is perfectly OK, detail is very good and they give you all you need to hear up in the highs without extending it unnecessarily. Decent amps do open out the sound, and the comments about needing an amp is more to protect those who would seek to use inferior sources with inadequate power to drive the inefficient K271.

They also take to being EQ'd very well, and if you want to alter it's characteristics, it's possible on a computer with a DSP-equipped soundcard, or an outboard EQ like the Behringer DEQ2496 (or if you're feeling particularly flush, the Manley Passive Massive or the Accuphase DG-38).

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 38
You should expostulate on the comparisons and add some experiences with songs and make this into a full review.
evil_smiley.gif
It does seem like the K271 is always getting the shaft when people state their impressions of them, so it's nice to hear the other side of the story
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 38
There are a lot of people on this forum, and as a natural result there are also a lot of people who don't make good reviewers. These are people who get so stuck up on a certain aspect of a headphone that they either get enamoured over it or start bashing it. The best reviews make sure to consider all aspects of the headphone's sound, and comment on many, if not all, of them.

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 38
Bagraman,

I think your quick summary hits it right on the nail, at least it does for me. I think your point about the amp is well taken, and knowing I had one, albeit one that is surely insufficient to drive these cans to their optimum, was not really an issue for me. But the caution for others is necessary, absolutely, and bears repeating.

Since I hope to not encounter any bats soon or be in a car sub, I guess these will indeed suffice. (Of course, Todd has a 30-day return policy {60 days on the Zu Mobius} so I can always retun them after my trip!!!)

I know you have been one of those on here that has consistently praised these headphones, and your perspectives have been helpful, even if to convince me of something I wanted to be convinced about!

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 38
Highflying9,

Expostulating sounds as though it could be naughty and might get me thrown out of here and the office! Once I have looked it up in the dictionary, found the necessary tools to do "it", then I'll give a whirl!

Seriously (well, sort of), maybe a note pad on the plane, a pen, a nice variety of CDs, non-stop beverage service in business class, some Ibupophen, would yield some exposulatory notes that could turn into a veritable headphone review chef d'oeuvre! Might even make the headphone review sticky! Look out!

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 38
Kyrie,

(I should of done this in one post, shouldn't I??). I think your point is right about making reviews consistent about key aspects of the headphone sound, and there re many reviewers who do a great job of this. I don't know if this would be possible on here, but it would be nice to have some form of template with headings and prompts for those who wish to review headphones, a sort of review aid if yuo will. I think there are some good examples on head-fi, but if we could agree on some critical common elements, I think it would be so helpful.

Of course agreement and head-fi is sort of an oxymoron isn't it???? Long live discourse!

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
Kyrie,

(I should of done this in one post, shouldn't I??). I think your point is right about making reviews consistent about key aspects of the headphone sound, and there re many reviewers who do a great job of this. I don't know if this would be possible on here, but it would be nice to have some form of template with headings and prompts for those who wish to review headphones, a sort of review aid if yuo will. I think there are some good examples on head-fi, but if we could agree on some critical common elements, I think it would be so helpful.

Of course agreement and head-fi is sort of an oxymoron isn't it???? Long live discourse!

I also think it would be great for reviewers to include what music sounded better with any given pair of headphones. For those of us who buy headphones trying to hear nirvana from one specific genre, such as classical, jazz, etc, it would be helpful.

I also favor bold reviews. There are always pro and con reviews of each headphone, so I wish people wouldn't worry about discouraging someone too much by saying "This pair of headphones stunk". We all know it's your personal opinion and ears on the subject.

Just my two cents.

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 38
Commando,

[Go All Blacks! What the hell happened in the bloody World Cup - both??]

I put a lot of stock in what you had to say in your two excellent reviews, and re-read them several times (I maybe a little dense and thick???). And I nearly went with the DT250-250 as a result. But a long talk with Todd after he listened to both for a while and answering my questions convinced me to choose the AKGs.

But, you know, your reviews of the DTs still have me wondering!!! Thanks for adding to my constant confusion! But also thanks for doing some pretty thorough and lengthy reviews. Good reading and real food for thought.

You KNOW people are listening to you!

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 38
I just describe what I hear. Remember I have a pretty good source and amp too.

I really hope my DT250s were faulty, i'm almost convinced of it. You should probably ignore that part of the review, they really had no bass, they must have been faulty. I'd probably buy the DT250-250s over the AKG 271s myself, because the rolled off highs don't work well for the music I listen too, but i'd buy from a place that accepts returns.

The ABs used to dominate 20 years ago because no-one else really bothered with Rugby too much. Now that NZ coaches are all over the world and other countries are trying too it's much harder. We have our moments and the team's getting better, we're not there yet tho. If you wanna talk more about that log onto my website, it's in my profile
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 38
Just to give the other side...

I was really hoping the K271s would end my closed cans hunt (after hearing the wonderful K501s and K240Ss). You know not suffering from the V6's highs, PX200s lack of clarity, etc.... but after purchasing a used pair I sold them in a day. Unless there was something wrong with my pair, I can't recommend them for anyone. Muffled. Dull. Instrument placement poor. No top end. Overall near MDR-V250 sound (or PX200 or Triports). Shockingly bad. Very disappointed. I really don't think they did anything right, except isolate reasonably well and look nice. Even AKG doesn't recommend them for "Hi-Fi" use and I can really understand why.

Anyway that was my experience for those considering a pair.

Aug 26, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 38
kiwirugby - I feel the same way as you... unfortunately we are a minority on here.
confused.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The "problem" with the K271 is that it doesn't have highs that could send a bat running for cover, and it doesn't have lows that resemble a car sub.

exactly... and those of us that prefer this can live quite happily in the buttery smooth midrange...
icon10.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #15 of 38
I think these phones are picky about how they're amped. They can sound blah or they can sound great -- at least to my ears.

I first heard the K271's running from the headphone-outs of rafe's DAC1. I thought they sounded terrific. Outstandingly clear, plenty of top, plenty of bottom -- good all around. At that time my only amp was a SuperMini, and while I wouldn't go so far as blessingx in condemning the sound, once I got the K271 home I did find that it was pretty unsatisfying with my meager setup; really no two ways about that.

I added a portable (single 9V) PIMETA and a SuperDual to my amp inventory, and I found that the K271 sounded even less good with those than it had with the SuperMini. Seems like it preferred the addional current of AAA's over the additional voltage of 9V's or the fancier ciruitry.

But now I'm running them with a Gilmore Lite, and they're everything I remembered from my audition with rafe: clean-sounding, well-defined, clear highs and solid lows. I do most of my listening on ER-4S's, and to my ears the K271/Lite combo has a very similar signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back