AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Feb 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #871 of 1,152
Oh, I see. It's just the headphone resonating at certain frequencies (and sometimes the harmonics of those frequencies as well, in severe cases). The XB500 was horrible for resonating at around 5kHz.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #873 of 1,152
Can anyone do a comparison between the K167 and the M-100?

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #874 of 1,152
Can anyone do a comparison between the K167 and the M-100?

K167 is less than half the price of the M-100.

M-100 has better feeling build, but my M-100 broke in two places, while I have yet to have any problems with the K167.

K167 is more comfortable.

K167 might isolate better.

They're arguably equal in sound quality. K167 is more analytical, M-100 is more fun.

K167 folding mechanism is crap. M-100s fold up to the size of a softball.

M-100 comes with a ton of accessories like a case and multiple cables. K167 comes with no accessories and does not have a removable cable.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #875 of 1,152
Nice comparison I've been waiting for, thanks. I guess the same applies to the K267, the one I'm interested in.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #878 of 1,152
Quote:
Nice comparison I've been waiting for, thanks. I guess the same applies to the K267, the one I'm interested in.

If you're looking for comparisons/impressions of the K267 specefically, a handful of us (including myself) wrote up a decent amount of info back when they first started shipping out, beginning around page 43. I believe a number of us have returned them since then though...

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #879 of 1,152
***Could definitely use some input, opinions, thoughts here...***

For the past 3-4 years I have been DJing with the Ultrasone DJ-1's...right out of the box they blew me away, literally astounding. This is after having Technics, Sony MDR700, and Pioneer HDJ-1000's. (Mind you I am more about sound quality in the very end when it comes to DJ headphones. Comfort, durability, and design definitely comes next...)

I my gf bought me a pair of K267's cuz she's awesome like that and I just got them today after waiting back-order after back-order. I un-boxed them to test them out and they sounded pretty good and very comfortable; not the best looking but not bad. I decided to put them up against my DJ-1's which I have been using for a while now and I was a little dissappointed that headphones costing almost $150 more on top of the Ultrasones did not exceed the sound quality.

The K-267's sounded good but more muffled then the DJ-1's, furthermore the separation of the sound and crispness of the DJ-1's completely overshadowed the K-267's...What?! 

I am going to give them a chance...maybe I need to let them play more hours to break them in...but something tells me no amount of "breaking in" will make them sound like Ultrasons DJ-1's.

I am thinking about returning them and possibly getting another pair of Ultrasone's (possibly the Pro's for the detachable cord and extra ear pads), or the HDJ-2000's.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this....

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #880 of 1,152
***Could definitely use some input, opinions, thoughts here...***

For the past 3-4 years I have been DJing with the Ultrasone DJ-1's...right out of the box they blew me away, literally astounding. This is after having Technics, Sony MDR700, and Pioneer HDJ-1000's. (Mind you I am more about sound quality in the very end when it comes to DJ headphones. Comfort, durability, and design definitely comes next...)

I my gf bought me a pair of K267's cuz she's awesome like that and I just got them today after waiting back-order after back-order. I un-boxed them to test them out and they sounded pretty good and very comfortable; not the best looking but not bad. I decided to put them up against my DJ-1's which I have been using for a while now and I was a little dissappointed that headphones costing almost $150 more on top of the Ultrasones did not exceed the sound quality.

The K-267's sounded good but more muffled then the DJ-1's, furthermore the separation of the sound and crispness of the DJ-1's completely overshadowed the K-267's...What?! 

I am going to give them a chance...maybe I need to let them play more hours to break them in...but something tells me no amount of "breaking in" will make them sound like Ultrasons DJ-1's.

I am thinking about returning them and possibly getting another pair of Ultrasone's (possibly the Pro's for the detachable cord and extra ear pads), or the HDJ-2000's.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this....

Well, thats a disappointment...!

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #881 of 1,152
Try getting the Shure SRH-750DJ pads for them. I found it gives a very large boost to the overall clarity of the headphone.

Also, if it's just the price point you have a problem with, return it and get the K167. It's 98% of the sound at 60% of the price.

I love my K167, but I'm not very convinced of the price to performance ratio of the K267 if it sounds virtually exactly the same as the K167.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #882 of 1,152
Quote:
quote.gif

Yes, I'm aware of that, but the added bass + better build quality are important to me.

Not to mention the "cool" factor :wink:

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #884 of 1,152
Quote:
Try getting the Shure SRH-750DJ pads for them. I found it gives a very large boost to the overall clarity of the headphone.

Also, if it's just the price point you have a problem with, return it and get the K167. It's 98% of the sound at 60% of the price.

I love my K167, but I'm not very convinced of the price to performance ratio of the K267 if it sounds virtually exactly the same as the K167.

Received the pads yesterday.  Comfort is improved, Shure pads seem more firm, which does reduce the isolation, but keeps the baffles away from the ears.  Imaging seems improved, probably because of the reduced isolation.  Bass seems a little less punchy, but I haven't really tested that with anything appropriate yet.  I don't find it to be the night-and-day difference you described, but the improved comfort makes the purchase worth it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back