AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,036 of 1,152
Hey guys. Sorry for the dumb question, but I am a newbie when it comes to the headphone game. Anyways,  I recently bought my first AKG product (K812) without testing. There is a massive sale for all AKG products here in Hong Kong, and the store that I bought it from only had a sealed unit that I could not demo. Anyways,  fortunately for me, after about 1 week with it, I have fallen in love with the K812 and the AKG house sound in general. I also have a V-moda m100 that I use for business trips and portable use with my AK120II. Nothing wrong with it, but I was wondering would you guys suggest I sell the M100 in favour of the K267? I know many members will suggest I go for a demo myself and i[m hoping I can find a store that will let me.  I listen to mostly to mandarin songs some pop and some rap.
etysmile.gif
  Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks 

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,037 of 1,152
   but I was wondering would you guys suggest I sell the M100 in favour of the K267?

I own the K267 and have owned the M100. Everything except build quality is better on K267.

In stage both are U shaped in their response but M100 more so, the bass is quite thick for my taste on M100.
the K267 has better mids, and highs - while not as sparkly have better definition IMO. The K267 is also better isolating and more comfortable.

without third party cable the K267 isn't very portable though, and isn't great around the neck.

Because the older revisions have issues, it is important to get it from an authorised dealer whom you trust and you can claim warranty in case of failure.

Never heard the high end K812 but switching from that directly to K267 you will see it as warmer sounding. But the clarity on K267 is excellent within its world of DJ headphones. Kind of like a HD25 which is smooth and warm yet detailed with some treble excitment, just that the K267 will have better sub bass response be over ear and more comfortable.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #1,039 of 1,152
timmy i am very jealous that you scored a pair of K812s.

may i ask how much you paid for them at the mega sale? the RRP is so far out of my price range i always disqualified this pair of headphones but maybe on a special day on a special sale when the moon is full and the time is right then just maybe i could afford them?? hehe

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,040 of 1,152
  timmy i am very jealous that you scored a pair of K812s.

may i ask how much you paid for them at the mega sale? the RRP is so far out of my price range i always disqualified this pair of headphones but maybe on a special day on a special sale when the moon is full and the time is right then just maybe i could afford them?? hehe

The MRSP for the headphones when they first came out was 13,980HKD. However AKG switch distributor in Hong Kong or something along those lines and the entire AKG line got massive sales including the 712,702, K3003 etc . I ended up paying 8888hkd for my K812. I'm very pleased with the headphone and now i'm contemplating if I want to sell my HD800. Hope that helps. 

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,042 of 1,152
Well, it finally happened to me. :frowning2:  I use these things so rarely and they are mostly stored folded up in their bag.  I was using them yesterday for the first time in months and just left them out overnight.  This morning they were broken.  I didn't notice any fit or other issues when I took them off.  Very strange. Serial number starts 006xxx.

May 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,043 of 1,152
Update: AKG isn't repairing my K267's.  They replaced them with the K712.  So far I like the K712, but I miss the isolation of the closed back K267.  I also miss the compact folding ability of the Tiesto headphone.  I was really tempted to keep my broken headphones and try to fabricate something to repair or replace the headband.  Has anyone tried that yet?

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,044 of 1,152
I cannot tell from the photo you uploaded. Here is a photo of my replacement with 7xx serial number shot at an angle, if you look closely you can see that in the middle there is a hump, it is thicker there on the revision.

Mine is still OK after 1yr of using it on average every two days.

I really love the sound so I do baby them, if I would treat them roughly I think even with the thicker plastic it is still vulnerable.

I think it is a bad sign for this headphone if AKG replaced yours with K712, maybe the K267 is already out of production, the early units had very bad reviews on german amazon because they all broke. Tyll mentioned it in his review, so it had a difficult start from a PR standpoint from the get go :frowning2:

I have seen boxes at a DJ store with serial number 08 and 09 though, so those should be safer bets.

This would have been a killer headphone if it had a headband like Sennheiser HD8 DJ extremely durable, unfortunately those don't sound as good.

I think if it would be a popular headphone they might have put out another revised version with totally different material....

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,047 of 1,152
  I cannot tell from the photo you uploaded. Here is a photo of my replacement with 7xx serial number shot at an angle, if you look closely you can see that in the middle there is a hump, it is thicker there on the revision.

Mine is still OK after 1yr of using it on average every two days.

I really love the sound so I do baby them, if I would treat them roughly I think even with the thicker plastic it is still vulnerable.

I think it is a bad sign for this headphone if AKG replaced yours with K712, maybe the K267 is already out of production, the early units had very bad reviews on german amazon because they all broke. Tyll mentioned it in his review, so it had a difficult start from a PR standpoint from the get go :frowning2:

I have seen boxes at a DJ store with serial number 08 and 09 though, so those should be safer bets.

This would have been a killer headphone if it had a headband like Sennheiser HD8 DJ extremely durable, unfortunately those don't sound as good.

I think if it would be a popular headphone they might have put out another revised version with totally different material....

I'm really curious what is hiding in that little hump of material.  Mine didn't have that.  I'm still missing the K267.  The prices shot up since I got mine originally.  Between that and not knowing what changed to make them any stronger, I'll probably stay away.  They had everything I was after in a headphone, too.  Compact storage, closed back, detachable cable and great sound!  The K712 is a very nice 'at home' headphone.  They aren't going to cancel out enough noise in a noisy environment and they leak too much noise for a quiet environment.  I'm thinking about picking up a set of K550 even though they don't really fold up as compact as the K267 and they don't have the detachable cable.  I'm not sure what else compares.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #1,048 of 1,152
Tested these out earlier in the year and was quite impressed with them but ultimately turned off by the crazy price tag. Saw them on sale for half price this morning and I managed to grab the last pair! Should have them in a couple of days, I'll see how they compare to my sennheiser hd6's.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #1,049 of 1,152
vanvan what was your serial number?

chailee what serial number did you just buy ? (you can replace the last few numbers with an xx)

IT will be interesting I was told by someone at AKG that all of the "old" versions that had the inferior plastic that cracked had been removed from the marketplace....I have a feeling that is not the case.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #1,050 of 1,152
I'll check the serial number when they arrive in a couple of days. I asked the dealer on the phone if it was old stock and they said no, they also deal with headphone repairs and he claimed they had not experienced anything out of the ordinary when it came to that particular headphone. They come with a 2 year warranty so I'm happy to take a chance on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back