AKG K24P blowing away Senn PX100???
Oct 23, 2007 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ULUL

100+ Head-Fier
I'm on a trip overseas and went in today to purchase a replacement for my lost PX100. Full intended to pick up the PX100 from an authorized dealer.

Anyways, the dealer suggested that I try the K24P which he thought was a lot better than the Senn. He had one of each for me to demo and had a source with a splitter.

Well, not trusting his source, I used my own MP3 player just to make sure I'm listening to what I'm familiar with.

What in the world......????
blink.gif
The K24P just blew the PX100 away. It wasn't even close. I accounted for the fact that the K24P was considerably more efficient and louder by equalizing the volume on both phones as well as I could.

Well, the K24P was head and shoulders better than the PX100 - clearere, more authoritative, better bass/depth but less muddy at the same time, more present. Much more so. The PX100 was more distant. It was good by itself - like how I remembered the PX100.

Well, I walked out of there without any purchase before coming to ask the 'gurus' here....
600smile.gif

For those of you who have significant experience with both, can you comment? I'm wondering if he had a defective PX100. I'd really like to know in case I found my new cans for travel.

Thanks,
UL

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 12
I'd like to hear more opinions about the K24P vs. the PX100 as well. Most of the posts I've read heavily favored the PX100. Let's see if there are many others that agree with the OP. I have long been interested in the K24P/K26P but I haven't ordered them because of the negative comments made of them on this forum.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ULUL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I walked out of there without any purchase before coming to ask the 'gurus' here....
600smile.gif

UL, your ears are your ears. If the AKG sounds better to you than the PX100 (I'm a PX100 fan), then that's all that matters, no? I say this since you seem to be looking for purchasing advice.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for all the feedback. I think that the general consensus is generally correct. (How's that for waffling....
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyways, The difference was so stark that I'm thinking the PX100 I tried must have been fake or defective. Problem is I don't know how to spot a fake.

Anyways, checking in here because I do trust the overall evaluation of our great community here. I was indeed suprised to hear how much louder the K24P was than the PX100.

UL

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised by this. To my ear, the K24 is easily crushed by a px100, though does alright against the wretched px200.

Blame your ears not the PX200 they are excellent phones just hard to get a seal.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blame your ears not the PX200 they are excellent phones just hard to get a seal.

True, but you need a really good seal. Some people say too much bass, but for those who can't get a seal they really sound devoid of bass and severely unbalanced.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm not surprised....for some people, myself included, the K24P's are great tiny (and inexpensive) travel cans, with quite a bit of power and some sonority to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back