AKG K242 HD: From A Layman's Perspective
Jul 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #46 of 68
The AKG240 (I have a newer China made S version) are really a great headphone, particularly when amped.  They love power.  Since swapping pads has such an effect on these I swapped with my spare pair of SRH840 pads, cut out the cloth out of those, used the 240 foam, and viola, what a great sounding headphone.  The SRH840 cloth allows a bit much treble through, hence using the 240 foam, but with the great fit and seal of the 840 pads, and the fact they fit better around the ear, it was a no brainer.  Everything sounds clear and great out of these things without giving up neutrality.  Not to mention the fact there is no discomfort to be had whatsoever after many hours. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #47 of 68
Quote:
The AKG240 (I have a newer China made S version) are really a great headphone, particularly when amped.  They love power.  Since swapping pads has such an effect on these I swapped with my spare pair of SRH840 pads, cut out the cloth out of those, used the 240 foam, and viola, what a great sounding headphone.  The SRH840 cloth allows a bit much treble through, hence using the 240 foam, but with the great fit and seal of the 840 pads, and the fact they fit better around the ear, it was a no brainer.  Everything sounds clear and great out of these things without giving up neutrality.  Not to mention the fact there is no discomfort to be had whatsoever after many hours. 

nobody argue where it manufactured as long the factory equipment & Quality manager upto company's standard.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

nobody argue where it manufactured as long the factory equipment & Quality manager upto company's standard.

don't get me started talking about my China K601 experience... (haven't listened to an Austrian one... but mine sucked §$%&/)

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #49 of 68
I Have a china model? No issues, so does my friend, no issues.

About time this headphone got a thread. 

I am really really surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but this headphone really does need an amp, and it tends to show the characteristics of the amp above its own sound, so its sounds very much like what you plug it into. this makes it great for tube rolling or opamp rolling. This may just be its analytical nature. 

Also as purpleAngel will note, it has some seriously synergestic combinations, IME the vamp + akg K242hd > Denon D7000 + vamp/asus, in all departments except bass quantity. 

Its quite frightening how good it sounds when paired up with enough power and a musical amp. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #50 of 68
What pads are you using? They come with the velours stock? I have the 's' which comes with pleather pads. I like it a lot, but it sounds quite muddy next to the 240DF. I'd give the velour pads a try if I thought it would get rid of some of the the upper bass bloat, though I'd be surprised if that was the case. Amping doesn't improve them significantly, imo, at least as far as the somewhat muffled sound.
Quote:
WiR3D said:
I Have a china model? No issues, so does my friend, no issues.

About time this headphone got a thread. 

I am really really surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but this headphone really does need an amp, and it tends to show the characteristics of the amp above its own sound, so its sounds very much like what you plug it into. this makes it great for tube rolling or opamp rolling. This may just be its analytical nature. 

Also as purpleAngel will note, it has some seriously synergestic combinations, IME the vamp + akg K242hd > Denon D7000 + vamp/asus, in all departments except bass quantity. 

Its quite frightening how good it sounds when paired up with enough power and a musical amp. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #51 of 68
short note of mine... I tend to believe that the DFs are the brightest bunch of the family. Combined with the bleeding mid-bass-issues of the K240 I tend to believe that, while the velours improve things, the K240s will never sound as "clear" as the K240DF.

Gosh now I really do wanna re-snipe an K240s or HD on ebay to compare them to my Sextetts (MP)

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #52 of 68
Quote:
short note of mine... I tend to believe that the DFs are the brightest bunch of the family. Combined with the bleeding mid-bass-issues of the K240 I tend to believe that, while the velours improve things, the K240s will never sound as "clear" as the K240DF.

Gosh now I really do wanna re-snipe an K240s or HD on ebay to compare them to my Sextetts (MP)

The treble on the DF is a little too much for my taste. I prefer a little less ...like on the hd580. Also the DF does't have as much bass as the other 240's....so relative to the others, they're definitely on the bright side. But the midrange clarity is pretty amazing. They're comparable to the hd580 in that regard....they're that good. Would like to read a comparison with your Sextett

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #53 of 68
Quote:
What pads are you using? They come with the velours stock? I have the 's' which comes with pleather pads. I like it a lot, but it sounds quite muddy next to the 240DF. I'd give the velour pads a try if I thought it would get rid of some of the the upper bass bloat, though I'd be surprised if that was the case. Amping doesn't improve them significantly, imo, at least as far as the somewhat muffled sound.

AKG K242HD - Velour
I vastly disagree, if you have a friend with a VAMP, give it a go. Will blow your mind. Made my denon D7000 meh. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #56 of 68
Quote:
if you pissed with AKG china, then its AKG's fault, afterall i see no problem with Sennheiser china. Proven that German company has stricter QC 

Fair enough point, though I'm stymied; What's the difference between Made in Germany and Made in China, save for the place of assembly? Granted, some workers tend to slack off more than others, but...?

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Fair enough point, though I'm stymied; What's the difference between Made in Germany and Made in China, save for the place of assembly? Granted, some workers tend to slack off more than others, but...?

beyersmile.png

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

Uh.... huh? I'm not sure how to take that reaction :))

For the record, something came loose in the right earcup, so there's an irritating clicking sound whenever I move my head too quickly. I'm beginning to wonder who uses my cans at home when I'm not around (believe it or not, I'm actually careful with them). :/

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #60 of 68
take them apart, the screw is under the K242 logo (where the cable is entering, vice versa on the other side)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back