AKG K242 HD: From A Layman's Perspective
Jul 27, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

I'm not entirely sure how to get the cap off, though. From what I can tell, it's practically glued there. Any advice on how to take the logo off without cracking the plastic? Thanks.

its not glued, screw under the badge, lift off the badge, it will stick again when you put it back, or find the online manual on the AKG site, shows you how to dismantle

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #63 of 68
Quote:
its not glued, screw under the badge, lift off the badge, it will stick again when you put it back, or find the online manual on the AKG site, shows you how to dismantle

I may update the review portion, but for now I'll just leave this tidbit here:

While I was trying to unscrew the plastic bit off my K242 to get the the driver and finally figure out what was making that rattling noise (that was a few minutes ago, and I decided to just take it to the harman-kardon shop I frequent, since I'm not all that confident in my DIY skills). I was sitting next to an oscillating electric fan and, out of the blue, the 3.5mm plug got caught in the blades and started making this awful grinding noise.

Understandably, I freaked out. Big time. Still, I had enough common sense left to switch the fan off and take the grille apart before yanking on the cable. What I saw nearly gave me a heart attack: The cord looked like so much black spaghetti, all tangled up and wrapped around the fan's axle; the thing had even more twists in it than A Scanner Darkly. I started feeling very faint at that point.

I carefully unwound the cable from the fan blades, making sure not to put any more stress on the cables. It took me maybe a minute or so before I had the cable completely free.

Fearing the worst, I went over the entire 10 foot length of the cord, only to find out that aside from a few kinks in the rubber and dirt stains (I clean the fan infrequently), the cable was in perfectly good shape. I even plugged it into my source and found that it performed perfectly well. Here's a picture of my cans' cable now; I didn't think to take a photo of it wrapped around the fan blades, since that might have just given the people here at Head-Fi nightmares:

So basically, while I'm still suspect of AKG's build quality (particularly their 2** line), I am NEVER questioning their cables again :))

Cheers!

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

So basically, while I'm still suspect of AKG's build quality (particularly their 2** line), I am NEVER questioning their cables again :))

Cheers!

1xx line aswell, the only one that impressed me was the k550. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #66 of 68
Jul 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #67 of 68
Quote:
too bad they sound worse then the k242hd, damn upper mid resonance....

You mean the K242 actually sound better? First time hearing that. Looks like I lucked out, then :))

Although you'll have to factor in the K242's amp-dependent nature. I'm going to have to eventually shell out a lot of cash just to get my cans to sound as good as they can. Maybe I'm not quite so lucky after all :p

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #68 of 68
Quote:
You mean the K242 actually sound better? First time hearing that. Looks like I lucked out, then :))

Although you'll have to factor in the K242's amp-dependent nature. I'm going to have to eventually shell out a lot of cash just to get my cans to sound as good as they can. Maybe I'm not quite so lucky after all :p

read the reviews in the product section, you'll see.

Yeah that is a problem with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back