AKG K242 HD: From A Layman's Perspective
Jul 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #31 of 68
Do you know if you can purchase the 242HD pads, or do they just sell a 'generic' k24X pad? I'd like to try the 242 pads on my 240S since, if I understand you correctly, that would make the 'S' more 'neutral'. 
Quote:
Haha, it's totall the other way around :D

It's due to the different pads. The pleather of the K240s give them a bit of a bass boost, while the velours tame the bass a bit.
Woops, if you were talking about the K240M (600ohm) I have to agree with you.

Prefer the K240 series in this order.

K240 Sextetts MP (most musical)
K242HD (most neutral)
K240s (boomy but fun because of that)
K240M (quite neutral, with less than neutral bass)

EDIT:
note that the
K242HD
K240s
K240MKII
are exactly the same in terms of dampening, driver, baffle .etc
the difference in sound is due to the different pads with different inner diameter (pleather smaller hole than pleather)

They differ in colour and cable.

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:
Do you know if you can purchase the 242HD pads, or do they just sell a 'generic' k24X pad? I'd like to try the 242 pads on my 240S since, if I understand you correctly, that would make the 'S' more 'neutral'. 

AKG K240/241/271 Velour ear pads.
Or sometimes listed as AKG K271 Velour ear pads
(same pads as on the K242HD)

Usually sells and ships in the USA for around $46.

In Euorpe, Thomann, sells the pad for only $18, but charges $40 shipping to the USA and outside Europe.
I ordered 5 items, so it was only $8 shipping per item.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #33 of 68
confirmed, living here in Germany has some advantages, but the velours are still ridiculously expensive compared to the pleather (5€) a piece.
And yes, the velours make the K240s more neutral and the velours give more bass. (The MKII includes a set of both ear pad designs)

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #34 of 68
Quote:
Haha, it's totall the other way around :D

It's due to the different pads. The pleather of the K240s give them a bit of a bass boost, while the velours tame the bass a bit.
Woops, if you were talking about the K240M (600ohm) I have to agree with you.

Prefer the K240 series in this order.

K240 Sextetts MP (most musical)
K242HD (most neutral)
K240s (boomy but fun because of that)
K240M (quite neutral, with less than neutral bass)

EDIT:
note that the
K242HD
K240s
K240MKII
are exactly the same in terms of dampening, driver, baffle .etc
the difference in sound is due to the different pads with different inner diameter (pleather smaller hole than pleather)

They differ in colour and cable.

Hi, did you note K240MKii = K240S = K242HD are exactly sampe sounding?
Is it safe to assume get the old version since it sell at half the price of 242HD & have the same sound quality?
I received report that 242 trebles slightly tuned , less sibilant or harshness. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Is it safe to assume get the old version since it sell at half the price of 242HD & have the same sound quality?

You can still find the k240S for less money than the others, correct. There's no sibilance or harshness that I can hear with the 240S. If you want, at some time in the future, you can turn them into a k242Hd by purchasing the velour pads....so I'd say go for the 'S' if you're on a limited budget.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

To me the only real difference between the older K240 Studio (55-Ohm) and the K242HD (55-Ohm) is the Velour ear pads and the paint job.
and the K240MKII allows you to swap cables.
Have never found any creditable information that really states otherwise.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #38 of 68
Quote:
You can still find the k240S for less money than the others, correct. There's no sibilance or harshness that I can hear with the 240S. If you want, at some time in the future, you can turn them into a k242Hd by purchasing the velour pads....so I'd say go for the 'S' if you're on a limited budget.

To me the only real difference between the older K240 Studio (55-Ohm) and the K242HD (55-Ohm) is the Velour ear pads and the paint job.
and the K240MKII allows you to swap cables.
Have never found any creditable information that really states otherwise.

K240S = K242HD then?
AKG really lazy if they only do effort on cosmetics only!

By the way, I've heard talk that there's an audible difference between the K242 HDs made in China and the ones made in Austria. Can anyone verify these claims?

the issue is neglible, made in china with Quality manager from Austria & also the machinery. So? its only labour different.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #39 of 68
Tell that to *unnamed person on another online forum*; according to him, the China-made versions sound like plastic garbage. I not only found that a bit racist, but also a bit hurtful, since I own a China-made model :))

Still, the impressions I have on the SQ are consistent (mostly, since I don't have a very good amp) with what I've read so far here on Head-Fi. Just glad to know that his claims were unfounded, since I'd hate to have wasted so much money on a sub-par pair of cans; that's relatively speaking of course, since they're dirt-cheap compared to some cans I could name off the top of my head. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:
K240S = K242HD then?
AKG really lazy if they only do effort on cosmetics only!

I've only started trying to find any real differences between the K240S, K240 MKII & K242HD.
I'm trying to go thru the parts list and parts number to see how many match.

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:
I've only started trying to find any real differences between the K240S, K240 MKII & K242HD.
I'm trying to go thru the parts list and parts number to see how many match.

Pardon me, but where do you find the complete parts list? I've tried to snoop around a bit, but apart from AKG's site, there isn't very much in the way of information on the net, from what I've come across.

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #43 of 68
Quote:
Pardon me, but where do you find the complete parts list? I've tried to snoop around a bit, but apart from AKG's site, there isn't very much in the way of information on the net, from what I've come across.

http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,7,nodeid,7,_language,EN,cat,11.html

It's the "AKG library" site, with PDF files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back