AKG K240 Studio Review
May 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #61 of 150
My guess is as good as anyone's and the usual explanation is that since headphone drivers are moving parts, they could presumably have a break-in period. AKGs are known to respond to burn-in moreso than some other headphone brands.

May 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #62 of 150
My guess is as good as anyone's and the usual explanation is that since headphone drivers are moving parts, they could presumably have a break-in period. AKGs are known to respond to burn-in moreso than some other headphone brands.
yeah. It might do something... The diaphragms might be a little stiff or something before use. I heard that the AKG K812 takes over 2000 hours of burn in. O.o akg and jvc are two brands I know of where everyone who has one suggests 300 hours+ of burn in. I'm just a little skeptical... Once something like innerFidelity releases a graph comparing before and after burn in, I'll be a little skeptical.

May 28, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #63 of 150
  I can't believe this, but I just discovered that Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" has an awesome soundstage and is an exceptionally high quality recording for being a pop song. Not that I'm a fan, just happened to discover that today thanks to the K240S.

The hdtracks 2014 free sampler has a few well recorded songs.
http://www.hdtracks.com/free-highres-sample/

May 28, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #64 of 150
yeah. It might do something... The diaphragms might be a little stiff or something before use. I heard that the AKG K812 takes over 2000 hours of burn in. O.o akg and jvc are two brands I know of where everyone who has one suggests 300 hours+ of burn in. I'm just a little skeptical... Once something like innerFidelity releases a graph comparing before and after burn in, I'll be a little skeptical.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

May 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #65 of 150

The ultrasone 900 pro also requires 300+ hours burn-in from what I've heard, not sure if this is with every Ultrasone headphone..

When I'm back home in a few days I'm going to ask my little bro (who owns a K240) if he noticed any differences since he first listened to them.

May 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #66 of 150
Ok killspeed!... Impressions on DT770's??

May 29, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #67 of 150
 I can't believe this, but I just discovered that Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" has an awesome soundstage and is an exceptionally high quality recording for being a pop song. Not that I'm a fan, just happened to discover that today thanks to the K240S.

I checked that song out on the K240s and it sounds pretty good on the 240s.  Song over all still sucks.  Country music is also really good on these.  Specially the older stuff that has actual has acoustic instruments.   

May 29, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #68 of 150
I checked that song out on the K240s and it sounds pretty good on the 240s.  Song over all still sucks.  Country music is also really good on these.  Specially the older stuff that has actual has acoustic instruments.   
+1 I like the older country music too.

May 29, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #69 of 150
Ok killspeed!... Impressions on DT770's??

*Grabs them and puts them on*
LETS DO THIS!

Ok, to start off, they were 145 euro's, and it's the 32 Ohm version.
They came in a pretty cheap looking box, something you'd expect with a 30 bucks headphone. In the box were the headphone with cable (The cable is stuck on the headphone), and a simple but nice carrying bag, which has a place on it to write your name, e-mail, adress and phone number on it in case you lose it. Not that anyone would return this beauty. They also came with a 3.5mm to 6.3mm jack.

The headphone itself, looks great. It's a great example of "Boys have swag, man have style". They don't have this 'swagfactor' that beats have, these have style. And I'm loving that. They're all black with I think pleather earpads. It's made from what feels like very durable plastic, and the part that connects the earcups to the headband feels like some kind of metal, also very durable. The headband is made of 2 pieces, the inner side is plastic and the outside is made from some foamy feeling cloth. You can easily take outerside off to replace it, but I don't find the need for it since it feels very comfortable. The cables within the headphones are visible for a part, which might bother some people.

The comfort is extremely good, the only time I felt this kind of comfort in a headphone was when I tried the HD800. It's just a straight 10/10 comfort, not much to say about it.

They isolate very good, way better than my beats pro detox do, although they have this 'sucky' feeling to them, but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

You could easily take these outside, they might not be the most portable cans, compare it to an K240, but closed. They might leak sound a bit if you'd turn them up a lot though, but I only tried that in a complete silent room, so I think if you would use them on a bus or anything you'd really have to turn up your phone at 100% to make it slightly audible to the outside world.

Now the most important thing, the sound.
I'm not great at explaining sound but I'll try my best.

These are great for rock, better than my beats pro detox, and my Hifiman HE-300.
Most people call them allrounders, but I wouldn't say that. I've tried them with a lot of genres, rock, metal, screamo, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, classical, dubstep, drum 'n bass, hiphop and pop.
They sound like they're really made for rock, metal and screamo also does good on them, 60's 70's 80's and 90's weren't bad on them, hiphop was OK, they could handle classical but nothing too special. Dubstep they were 'meh', and the same with drum 'n bass. On pop they were just.. Horrible.
They're just missing something, I think it's the body they miss. They sound really "free" and "loose", but not the kind of free you have with an open-back headphone.
When I tried them with my FiiO E11 they sounded way more structured, which I really liked, but my GF likes them better without the FiiO. It might be because they lack a bit too much bass for my tastes.
The bass quality is quite good actually, it just misses impact. The mids and highs are perfectly balanced along with the bass.

Are they worth their money?
Yes, even if they would cost 75 euro's more, they'd still be worth it. These are an excellent pair of closed cans, not too hard to drive, does well with a lot of genres, especially when amped with something like a FiiO E11.
If you are an all-round listener, I'd recommend these along with an E11, if you listen to rock the FiiO E11 might not be worth it. They isolate great and are quite portable for full-size cans.

I still prefer my Hifiman he-300's over these for home use, but my GF prefers these over the Hifiman's. We both agree that both are way better than my beats pro detox.

May 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #70 of 150
Hmm... What about Grado? I hear they are amazing for rock. Have you heard a pair for comparison?

May 31, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #71 of 150
I decided to drag my old Sony STR-K660P and hook it up to my Sound Blaster Z using the SPDIF-Out. I discovered that the old girl can really drive the K240s.  It does a better job than straight out of the sound card.  It does not have  an eq only a bass/treble -/+ 6 setting.  The treble out of this guy is way, way less harsh than from the straight card.  It solves the problem of having to reach around the back to switch headphones or use an extension.  The M50 also sound way better.  I'm so glad I can finally use this thing again.  

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #72 of 150
Finally got to try out an amp. And a tube one, to boot! A friend of the family lent me his Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P. Holy fish, do my (°_°)phones sound perfect now! Not 500$ A+ perfect, but as perfect as I feel they can possibly sound. Finally, I could hear my music as it is.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #73 of 150
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:AKG_K240_Pic7.jpg this is interesting.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #74 of 150
Im really eyeballing these. I have a under $100 budget. Cant go any higher :/ Do these 240s work portably?? Thats my biggest question. Could i use these with my phone on a daily basis and still sound good? Or would the high Ohm rate ruin it and drain my phone battery?

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #75 of 150
Im really eyeballing these. I have a under $100 budget. Cant go any higher :/ Do these 240s work portably?? Thats my biggest question. Could i use these with my phone on a daily basis and still sound good? Or would the high Ohm rate ruin it and drain my phone battery?
I was gonna re-review these soon because I'm a lot better at writing reviews now than I was. Check out the blog in my profile for my reviews, and thatBeatsguy's reviews. The K240 will be featured as part of my upcoming studio headphone comparison. ATH-M50 vs AKG K240S vs ATH-EP700 vs Rockit R-Studio vs Brainwavz HM5

To answer your question, if you are using them as portables, don't take the plunge on them. They leak sound and are pretty darn big with a 9 foot cable.

For an everyday headphone that is pretty easy to drive, looks good, is small enough to carry around I suggest these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002J7IXCO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1418349873&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back