AKG K240 Studio Review
May 26, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #49 of 150
Dude, I am SO jealous of your Fiio E11! I will have to get that soon. And you described the sound perfectly. Although, without an amp, mine lack lower bass and upper treble and just sound weaker. When connecting by my table speakers that gets fixed, but at the cost of lost imaging and other bad things. Another reasons to get Fiio E11. . .

I would also like to add two things.

1) The headband will destroy your hair by flattening them there it sits.
2) The cans do have one strong point. They are particularly good at drums, be it real, or well-reproduced synthesized ones. Fortunate, since I am a fan of Stewart Copeland.

P.S. Lovely wintery lanscape.

May 27, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #50 of 150
So, I've been listening to this live performance through my (°_°)phones, and I am amazed. Even without an amp, it sounds like the man is right next to me in the room. Here, K240S owners, try that out for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwmtkFPYXsg#t=102

May 27, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #51 of 150
I'm starting to notice something relatively common about using the K240S without an amp vs. with one.

Just adding my FiiO E6 to the output of just about any device does the following:

1. reduces the upper-bass hump that can be anywhere from slight to very prominent depending on source without the E6
2. slightly reduces treble sharpness (placebo? can't really tell for sure)
3. slight increase in bass extension?

Are these the same effects from amping this headphone that you guys are hearing, aside from soundstage increase, bass and treble extension? I would probably need a DAC and an amp to get soundstage improvements.

May 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #52 of 150
I'm starting to notice something relatively common about using the K240S without an amp vs. with one.

Just adding my FiiO E6 to the output of just about any device does the following:

1. reduces the upper-bass hump that can be anywhere from slight to very prominent depending on source without the E6
2. slightly reduces treble sharpness (placebo? can't really tell for sure)
3. slight increase in bass extension?

Are these the same effects from amping this headphone that you guys are hearing, aside from soundstage increase, bass and treble extension? I would probably need a DAC and an amp to get soundstage improvements.
well, the treble definitely smooths... I know that.

May 27, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #53 of 150
May 28, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #55 of 150
I can't believe this, but I just discovered that Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" has an awesome soundstage and is an exceptionally high quality recording for being a pop song. Not that I'm a fan, just happened to discover that today thanks to the K240S.

May 28, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #56 of 150
I just received my pair yesterday, and I am impressed. I must say that they do require a higher volume setting to bring out the best in them. So far I love these headphones and "No" I do not intend to burn them in. :)

May 28, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #57 of 150
I just received my pair yesterday, and I am impressed. I must say that they do require a higher volume setting to bring out the best in them. So far I love these headphones and "No" I do not intend to burn them in. :)
I don't know if I really believe in burn in. I think it might be more of a placebo effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back