AKG K240 Studio Review
Apr 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #16 of 150
Oh, btw, I find the k240's very fun for dubstep and d&b, seeing as how a lot of dubstep and d&b songs rely on upper bass, upper mid bass(lol), and lower mids for the melodies. And since there's a 4-5 db increase at those frequencies... Hehehe... Pretty fun imo... Plus, you must listen to house and techno? That's probably why the 440's sound a lot more fun. House and techno fit in with the 440's response a bit better.

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #17 of 150
Oh, btw, I find the k240's very fun for dubstep and d&b, seeing as how a lot of dubstep and d&b songs rely on upper bass, upper mid bass(lol), and lower mids for the melodies. And since there's a 4-5 db increase at those frequencies... Hehehe... Pretty fun imo... Plus, you must listen to house and techno? That's probably why the 440's sound a lot more fun. House and techno fit in with the 440's response a bit better.

I'm more of a hardstyle and hard trance kind of guy when it comes to electronic music. It's a toss up for me between the 280s and the 440s. The 280s have this amazing subwoofer like sub-bass with some cut in the midbass making the basslines of that music just kick you in the face, but the SRH440s shine better on melodies since their treble is much better extended and clearer, while they maintain a nicely flat bass without hyping. It just depends on my mood, I'm really contemplating on keeping both instead of selling off the 280. I'm giving the K240 to my dad though. He's the one who piqued my interest in the AKG brand again, since he owns an original 70s K140. It's about damn time I help give him an upgrade. Most of what he listens to is The Beatles, and FLAC songs of The Beatles sound AMAZING on the K240, give it a try.

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #18 of 150
Awesome in depth review! I've been on the fence about these for a while and just might give them a shot finally. I'm still new to the community, pretty much a lurker, but love reading up on through reviews such as these. I just recently received the ATH-M50 (Coiled refurbished for $75 off slickdeals) a week ago and they were an upgrade over the monoprice 8323 I own, but it didn't wow me. Some say I just need to get used to the soundstage I guess? Well if that doesn't work out, I think I'll give these a try. Thank you sir.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #19 of 150
Holy moly, I just listened to my buddy's K271 MKII for the first time today. Smoothest mids I've heard in a headphone so far without any spikes basically anywhere across the audible range. The only downside is the recessed bass, but they sound very different than the 240 in that they are much more neutral. Most neutral mids and treble I've heard yet in a headphone. Just thought I would throw some impressions here since they are after all not that dissimilar in look but they do sound distinctly different and are closed back.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #20 of 150
  Holy moly, I just listened to my buddy's K271 MKII for the first time today. Smoothest mids I've heard in a headphone so far without any spikes basically anywhere across the audible range. The only downside is the recessed bass, but they sound very different than the 240 in that they are much more neutral. Most neutral mids and treble I've heard yet in a headphone. Just thought I would throw some impressions here since they are after all not that dissimilar in look but they do sound distinctly different and are closed back.

Also recessed treble - I like a tad more detail. But I will agree, the K271 does a lot of things right and it's very underrated at HF.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #21 of 150
All akg's are underrated here lol.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #22 of 150
... Except their bad models... But hey! Every manufacturer has bad models!

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 150
Yeah AKG doesn't seem to stick with a particular sound signature, their models vary quite widely. That can be a good thing though for most consumers. You just have to know what you're looking for.

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #24 of 150
Hmm... Lets see here... Akg's bad models are the tiesto DJ headphones, sennheisers bad headphones are a personal opinion in a lot of cases, and beats by Dre's bad models is.... Beats by Dre.

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 150
Hmm... I think I prefer open backed headphones at this point. I have no regrets about buying the k240's. I'll check out the k271's sometime though. :D

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #26 of 150
Hmm... I think I prefer open backed headphones at this point. I have no regrets about buying the k240's. I'll check out the k271's sometime though. :D

Definitely worth a shot. They're so neutral to my ears, just some bass roll-off. Such an easygoing sound signature.

Hmm... Lets see here... Akg's bad models are the tiesto DJ headphones, sennheisers bad headphones are a personal opinion in a lot of cases, and beats by Dre's bad models is.... Beats by Dre.

LOL, this. But wait, the K267 is really that bad? It looks like it measures pretty well on the FR charts that I've seen.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 150
Definitely worth a shot. They're so neutral to my ears, just some bass roll-off. Such an easygoing sound signature.
LOL, this. But wait, the K267 is really that bad? It looks like it measures pretty well on the FR charts that I've seen.
yeah, the reviews I read and charts I saw say they sound nice... But they also say the build quality is horrendously bad. As in, breaks after two weeks.... And there's enough reviews like that to make me want to stay away from them.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #28 of 150
hmm... So far you've only mentioned closed cans as being flat... Something to do with the cans being open that makes certain frequencies have an illusion of sticking out more maybe? Idk. All I know is that k240's are flatter than ath-m50x's based on multiple graphs... Again, don't know until I try them, but evidence points towards k240's being a lot flatter.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 150
hmm... So far you've only mentioned closed cans as being flat... Something to do with the cans being open that makes certain frequencies have an illusion of sticking out more maybe? Idk. All I know is that k240's are flatter than ath-m50x's based on multiple graphs... Again, don't know until I try them, but evidence points towards k240's being a lot flatter.

The M50s are weird and have hyped bass, strange peaking in the mids starting at 2 kHz instead of the ideal 4 kHz or so, and sometimes fatiguing highs. I'm not that biased towards closed lol. After all the HD650s are some of the most commonly used reference headphones and they are completely open.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #30 of 150

Me and my dad were discussing if my little brother should've get the K67 tiësto one, I told him the K240 were reviewed way better on "a professional site (talking about head-fi of course)" so that he should get these, but my dad just kept raving about how great the K67 looked.

In the end my little brother bought the K240, and tried the K67's in a store. The poor K67's didn't stand a chance, he didn't explain what was different, he just said "Wow, these (pointing to the K240's) sound so much better!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back