AKG K240 Sextett LP.
Aug 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Today, I purchased a pair of AKG K240 Sextett LP headphones. They should be with me next week.

I'm going to use them with an old Marantz 1040 int amp that is being used with my laptop.

I also have a pair of AKG K240 MKII. How would they compare to the Sextett LP?

What headphone amp do you guys use with the K240 Sextett LP?

Kind Regards,

Shane.

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 11
These headphones are 30+ years old, so maybe the lettering has worn off. See if you can see any evidence if there were ever any. I've had some sextetts that had the lettering worn off in the past, so if that's the case, it's really no big deal. It also could be that someone replaced it with a generic headband or they are not genuine sextetts. There's no way to know without looking at pics.

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 11
The sextetts do have a unique sound. I think they are tonally accurate(lps). They could use more extension at both ends, but the only thing they are really lacking is refinement. If it wasn't for that I would put them up there with top tier cans. But I do think a pair with drivers in good condition belong in the hdxx0, dtxx0, and kx01 league.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 11
I've had a few Sextetts recently.  1 EP, 2 MPs, and 2 LPs.  I also have the Mk II's and had the Studios.  I think the Mk II's/Studios sound a lot like the Sextett.  Not 100% alike, but very similar.

I don't think they are "strange" sounding though. 
smile_phones.gif
  I found them to have a very balanced yet enticing sound signature.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 11
If you haven't read this thread, you might want to.  It's kind of the official Sextett thread at this point

http://www.head-fi.org/t/243339/akg-k240-sextett-grado-d-akg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back