AKG k240 sextett driver replacement
Sep 18, 2019 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ssl666

New Head-Fier
Yesterday was a bad day.

The left driver of my beloved k240s (that dad had bought in the early 80s) died.
Unfortunately the cable is in good condition and the radiators are still intact.
I removed the driver, tested with other cable/source and yup, it is pretty much fried.
The right one still works.

Now the question is: where can I find a replacement?
According to a service manual, the part I'm searching for probably is 2030Z0010, I have the gray/yellow version.
(like this one, not my pic)
540540_l.jpg

Google and Ebay(EU) came up disturbingly empty.

Another solution would be to find a modern equally good -or better- driver and replace the pair.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 3
Yesterday was a bad day.

The left driver of my beloved k240s (that dad had bought in the early 80s) died.
Unfortunately the cable is in good condition and the radiators are still intact.
I removed the driver, tested with other cable/source and yup, it is pretty much fried.
The right one still works.

Now the question is: where can I find a replacement?
According to a service manual, the part I'm searching for is 2030Z0010.
Google and Ebay(EU) came up disturbingly empty.

Another solution would be to find a modern equally good -or better- driver and replace the pair.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Literally your only option is to purchase a used K240 on eb@y or similar, and perform a driver transplant.
They don't make these drivers any more, and they most likely never will again. (AKG has since been purchased by Harman, which has since been purchased by Samsung).

If you're lucky, you'll find a totally trashed set for less than $20 and can use that for spare parts.
You could also try your luck in the trade forum, ask around if someone has a spare driver, or set of drivers.
These headphones are common enough for that to be a viable option with a bit of patience, but you might have to be more aggressive in your search, as you're likely not the only one scrounging up spares parts for them.

The only real problem you might encounter is having to perform a double transplant, because there were quite a few variants of the k240 sextett, so you may end up with a different sort which you will only discover upon opening up the patient. They're easily identifiable because of the different colour plastic housing of the driver (grey, red, white, green), with very little acoustic difference between them - the bigger difference in tuning was provided by the different colour passive diaphragms.

I can have a look in my basement later and see if I've got any spare parts, but I think I've only got K140 drivers sitting around, so in that case they won't be of any use.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 3
Literally your only option is to purchase a used K240 on eb@y or similar, and perform a driver transplant.
They don't make these drivers any more, and they most likely never will again. (AKG has since been purchased by Harman, which has since been purchased by Samsung).

If you're lucky, you'll find a totally trashed set for less than $20 and can use that for spare parts.
You could also try your luck in the trade forum, ask around if someone has a spare driver, or set of drivers.
These headphones are common enough for that to be a viable option with a bit of patience, but you might have to be more aggressive in your search, as you're likely not the only one scrounging up spares parts for them.

The only real problem you might encounter is having to perform a double transplant, because there were quite a few variants of the k240 sextett, so you may end up with a different sort which you will only discover upon opening up the patient. They're easily identifiable because of the different colour plastic housing of the driver (grey, red, white, green), with very little acoustic difference between them - the bigger difference in tuning was provided by the different colour passive diaphragms.

I can have a look in my basement later and see if I've got any spare parts, but I think I've only got K140 drivers sitting around, so in that case they won't be of any use.

Hey, thanks for the reply.
(updated original post with pic)

I was afraid it would end up like this.
I only found a few refurbished ones on ebay, quite pricey too.
Not to mention that I live in Greece, so my options are quite limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back