AKG *K240 question.
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

christos03

New Head-Fier
I like to buy AKG K240, I currently have Audio Technica m50 problem is left side is cutting in and out loose  wire I suppose. I have a warranty. I am going to get these fix and give them to my brother, anyways the real question is for the AKG K240 do I need an amp. I get mix messages on forums that I do and don't and anyone that knows a lot about these headphones could you give me a heads up. I use my m50 for music and a little gaming not a hard core gamer but the m50 do pretty well, I mostly use them for music not a bass head but these do have good enough bass for me.  Not looking to spend over 100 and AKG is at my budget and if you have other cans that you suggest please feel free. 

Thank you, 

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 8
The AKG K240 Studio? I have a pair I can try at home tonight through my Sansa Fuze.

55 ohm, so it might work.

You could also look at the Grado SR60i and SR80i.

There's also the Sony V6 (and 7506), but I personally like the AKG and Grado more for less than $100.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Yeah sorry forgot to mention studio.  Grado aren't really what I had in mind, I like bass but not a bass head and Grado don't have enough bass plus I do game a little so Grado aren't good at all with that.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 8
If your looking to drive the K240 through an ipod, might be a little tough, you're gonna have to play it at full blast.

If your playing through laptop, or tv/xbox/ps3, I think they should be well equipped to drive them.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Ok i'm running them on a laptop and yes an xbox as well. The only problem is i dont like how big they are, you have other headphones that are good no more then 100 dallors that are as good as my m-50 and the akg k240?

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 8
They sound "OK" or "good" from my Ipod Touch 2G without an amp. Would I buy them without an amp? Probably not. Even the $25  E5 would help. Straight out of my ipod I need to max the volume. A soundcard might do a little better, but it's hard to say.
Unlike some other headphones, they're not horrible unamped at all.

BTW the K240 Studio is quite good for gaming on a budget. I think a small portable amp would be a good idea.

When connected to a very small Mp3 player..forget it.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Yeah sorry forgot to mention studio.  Grado aren't really what I had in mind, I like bass but not a bass head and Grado don't have enough bass plus I do game a little so Grado aren't good at all with that.

Ahhh, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the Grado's I've heard and the K240S for bass level and integration into the rest of the mix IMO.

But I agree that from a portable player, the AKG's really need an amp to do them justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back