AKG k240 DF or k340 for a jazz person
Dec 14, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Try sealing off the rectangular opening in the back of the housing with a couple layers of electrical tape.

Wouldnt you lose some soundstage if you did that?

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian

Not if you also take out the cotton.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian

Surprisingly not. Not much short of stuffing tons of blue sticky-tack on the insides of the housing or doing the wiring bypass mod will really affect the soundstage.

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
If it's sort of an echoey resonance which is especially noticeable with acoustic guitar and piano notes in that frequency range..

yup. right on. That summarizes what i hear pretty much aerius. I've tried a few things (putting on blutac, stuffing some acoustic damping sheet, recabling with canare star quad, bypassing the internal circuitry for the woofer driver) but none of them alleviates this problem enough. time to hunt down another pair, there's still hope i guess.

Dec 14, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #21 of 22
I personally don't find it to be a fatal flaw... aerius has pointed it out to me before and it is there, but they are still a great set of headphones. Neither of my K340's has had this problem from what I can tell so we can chalk it up to the various 'versions', poor quality control, or the fact that they are quite old.

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #22 of 22
Old thread, I know. But I'm getting more and more passionate about these two headphones (akg k240 df and k340). And I have another view on this subject. 

For jazz I pick up the k240df - everytime. To me the k340 sounds too beefy. I love them - but not for jazz and classical.

K240df - airy and transparent. life-like. I think they share some characteristics with electrostats.

K340 - beefy, bassy, engaging I think they share some characteristics with JVC DX1000

Both needs POWER. They are the most hard to drive headphones I have ever owned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back