AKG K240 Cardan
May 7, 2011 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bloosman

New Head-Fier
Hi Folks...

Just joined the forum, so go easy on me if this has been asked before.

I have unearthed my AKG K240 Cardan 'phones, and started listening to them quite regularly.

I purchased them new back in the 80's, listened to them occassionaly and then stored them back in their original packaging.

Were these "cans" considered a reasonable purchase, and how do they compare to modern equipment...?

I'm listening through my Cairn Aria amp, but looking to go for a valve driven headphone amp this year.

Dougie,
Aberdeenshire
Scotland.

May 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 4
Hello and welcome to the forum
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as I know the K240 Cardan is in fact a K240 Sextett.
The Sextetts are the most popular K240's around, possibly the most popular vintage cans around too.
Are yours black with silver details and have K240 4-600 Ohm printed on the badge?

May 8, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 4
Adda,

Thanks for the welcome, and yes, you describe my headphones correctly...

...I'm surpirsed there has been no degradation to the foam/padding in all those years of storage, and they still sound fine.

Dougie.

May 9, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 4
You might want to think about getting new pads.  I've bought quite a few of these used over the last year, and while most of them seemed to have very nice pads, without exception, new pads were firmer (and resulted in a hair more bass).

But yes, some of us really rate these quite highly among older and current headphones !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back